LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sunroof issues after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 06:52 AM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof issues after battery replacement

So I recently replaced the battery in my LS and now my sunroof will not open/close/tilt correctly. If I try to do one of the motions, it acts as if it is jammed then goes back to the position it was previously at. The only way I can get it to close is unplug battery and then it will let me close once before it acts up. I've tried various things like holding the tilt button for 20sec to see if it initializes, but nothing.

Did I miss a step for the sunroof? I can't find anything by searching here or the owners manual...

Another weird part was when I tried to make the sunroof slide back. If I hold the button, it will slide a couple inches then nothing. Then if I release and press again, it will slide open a little more, but when trying to close, it acts like it is jammed.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 05-05-15, 06:55 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems your sunroof is out of calibration

I had this issue once when I replaced a stuck sunroof in a friends car.

For you as far as I can make sense of, the sunroof was probably either open partially or completely and now motor is not calibrated correctly.

I could not find a solution for my friends LS that time but I fixed it with one motor which came with the sunroof because the existing motor was perfectly fine. I needed to do it because the sunroof I got was also out of calibration and since my friend's car was already having a stuck sunroof I removed the circuit board with the switch. I manually wired the negative and positive terminals of the motor and gave it power till the sunroof was at closed position.

For my existing motor I pressed the switch when it was removed from the car and let the motor complete its operation and installed it back into the sunroof and it worked perfectly after it since it was correctly calibrated.

I have replaced the battery more than once on my car which is also a LS and never faced this issue where I never left it open and my guess when open will cause this issue.

To access the sunroof motor remove the plastic cover from the light and there are three screws holding the light assembly. Remove them and the light assembly will come right off and behind will be the sunroof motor which can be removed with opening two or three 10mm bolts as far as I recall.

You can also try closing the sunroof and removing the motor and let the operation for sunroof close finish out of the car and install it back which should ideally fix your issue.

I guess this is what I did but if anyone has a better solution then feel free to advise.

And best of luck!
Old 05-05-15, 12:27 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Yes the sunroof is most likely out of calibration. I had to end up taking mine to the dealer to get it re-calibrated when I removed my motor without it being fully closed. I paid the $125 fee that they charge just to check the car out but it was worth it to me since I had been trying for months to fix it myself.