LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to reduce/eliminate wind noise using Gummi Pfledge

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 09:48 AM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to reduce/eliminate wind noise using Gummi Pfledge

Lately I noticed my car been having a ALOT of wind noise, sound like a door not shut all the way or a cracked window. Reason why, a few months ago I used Turtle leather cleaner/conditioner on my door seals and that was a BIG MISTAKE. I didn't use a lot of it but its NOT for door or window seals. So before replacing any seals I looked on the web for a product that could "revitalize" my window and door seals and I came across this stuff called GUMMI PFLEGE, is German which means "rubber conditioner in english. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon and was skeptical but decided to buy a bottle and try it.

This stuff really does WORKS! I only did my door seals where I wiped the Turtle leather cleaner, and I have noticed a reduction in outside wind noise. I just did my window seals this morning and I can't wait to test drive my car. Click here for more info http://www.autopia.org/forums/detail...ge-review.html .
I was skeptical at first, but after using this stuff, I am a believer.

Last edited by LsG86; 04-11-15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 09:59 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice to know this worked, I particularly like the 1Z line of products. (1Z is available on Amazon too.) The other that works is Honda's Shin Etsu grease.

One thread about the Shin Etsu grease:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...oor-seals.html
Old 04-11-15, 10:15 AM
LsG86
Driver

BIf you use this stuff I recommend first cleaning your window and door seals with a non alcohol cleaner. Let the seals dry completely then use Gummi pflege. Here's how I did mine window and door seals: 1. I used a micro fiber towel and some mean green cleaner/degreaser diluted with lots of water and wiped down ALL the rubber seals. Let them air dry, it won't take long.
2. I applied 2-3 coats of Gummi Pflege, let it dry. Then applied 1 more coat and lightly "buff" it in with a clean micro fiber towel to get a evenly coat.
3. I disconnected the battery and left all the doors wide open so the seals could air dry. The longer you leave the doors open the better but 1-2 hours at least in my opinion.

Tips: Petroleum products are NOT good for our rubber seals, petroleum WILL make matters worst.
I read you can get similar results using silicon spray and dielectric grease(dielectric grease is supposed to be silicone based).
When buffing with a micro fiber towel try using clean sections of the towel.
Do not apply in direct sun light

For the window seals all I did was roll down all four windows and applied 2-3 coats, buffing in the last coat with a micro fiber towel. I left the Windows down so the GP can work its magic.

Forgot to mention, wear some gloves. On the 2nd or 3rd coats I massage the GP in the creases with my fingers. I also did my trunk seal and 2 hood seals.
I plan to do wiper blades too!

Last edited by LsG86; 04-11-15 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 10:19 AM
LsG86
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Nice to know this worked, I particularly like the 1Z line of products. (1Z is available on Amazon too.) The other that works is Honda's Shin Etsu grease.

One thread about the Shin Etsu grease:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...oor-seals.html
I read about the shin etsu grease too on amazon and some other sites but it cost more and the Gummi Pflege had a lot more feed back and reviews. I would like to try some shin etsu. I really love saying shin etsu, the coolest name EVER but the Gummi Pflege is a lot easier to apply in my opinion.

Last edited by LsG86; 04-11-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 12:01 PM
LsG86
Driver

Gummi Pflege claims to offer protection against extreme temperatures and harmful UV rays. I read somewhere that it will prevent frozen shut doors in the winter. One bottle does last a long time. I did two cars, doors and window seals multiple times and I still have at least half a bottle left.

Last edited by LsG86; 04-11-15 at 05:33 PM.