LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Exhaust volume comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 05:54 PM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust volume comparison

I'm ordering some new exhaust tips and getting my exhaust setup finalized as soon as they're in. Still undecided on what to do though.

Assuming exhaust piping is extended out to the back of the car in both cases, what is louder? A muffler delete while retaining all 3 resonators? Or deleting all 3 resonators and retaining the stock mufflers?
Old 04-02-15, 11:55 AM
timmy0tool

Received 417 Likes on 372 Posts

this will be hard to answer as most folks do one or the other and does not have the ability to compare. the videos on you tube are hard to judge too due to camera microphone differences and environmental variances. also exhaust work is not always the same where pipe routing and sizing varies as well.

i would tend to lean towards the delete 3 resos and keeping the stock mufflers would be a bit louder. the last resonators before the mufflers are much larger thus canceling more noise compared to the mufflers alone.
Old 04-02-15, 01:29 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 177 Posts

merely doing a muffler delete doesn't make it that much louder, and it drones somewhat at like 1700-2100 rpm which is about what it's at when you're doing like 55-65 mph. overall it really isn't THAT much louder (i did it on mine) and you don't even really notice it at high rpms, especially if you have a modded intake. i suspect removing the 3 resonators will be louder.

unless the only thing you're looking for is more noise, i'd probably save up and get a proper exhaust someday. the muffler delete makes a nice rumble/burble when you're driving off and at low speeds but eventually it'll start to sound kinda cheap. i have a video on it
Old 04-02-15, 02:12 PM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I was also kind of thinking that a full resonator delete might yield a louder sound. I have no intentions of doing anything that would warranty a full "proper" exhaust setup. I'm merely looking for louder sound for as cheap as possible without sacrificing the QUALITY of the sound.
Old 04-02-15, 03:33 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand resonators are tuned to lower specific frequencies and are almost nonrestrictive. The muffler on the other hand is design to lower all frequencies and will be more restrictive than the resonator.

With that info the muffler delete is the best option to get a more balanced sound IMO.

I did it on my previous and current LS and it's perfect for me. Nice subtle rumble at idle, sound like Morgan Freeman on light acceleration, calm and authoritative and at WOT it sound like a race car.