LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My 96 is gone (totalled)

Old 02-21-15, 10:34 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 96 is gone (totalled)

It saved my life, twice!

On my way to work listening to music a bit too loud, was going to take the exit (was 3 min away from the office) going at ~45mph and a guy cut me (i'm in the right lane) to get to the exit...

Now, it was snowing overnight and it was a bit slippery, nothing bad but I disengaged TRAC since I was tired of the car coming to a stall when launching at every stop sign. Are yours oversensitive too?

Anyway, so when the guy got in front of me and slowed down for the exit I slammed the brake to slow down, but the car didn't slow down as usual so in a desperate move I turned to the left to not hit him. Now it's where everything goes to hell, as soon as I started turning, the back wheel started spinning and realized that my big snow boots (I wear 15 size shoes) was pressing on both pedals. Too late, I'm now at 45deg going straight at the wall.

Impact hit hard, both Air bag deployed and car end up in the middle of the highway, luckily there was no other near me when it happened. I was struggling to breath because of the smoke of the airbag, so roll down the windows and realize that in a very precarious position (there a curve in the road and car coming had about 500ft to see me). Engine was stopped, I put it in neutral and to my surprise it started, put In drive and was able to drive the car to a safe spot. This probably saved me a 2nd accident...

Right now I'm filled with anger, a little about the moron who jumped in front of me, but most about myself for not realizing that I was hitting both pedal and that I couldn't handle the back going sideways. Also, with TRAC on this wouldn't have happen, but It's dangerous in so many other ways that I accept that fact.

Waiting to see what the insurance will give me, but I'm already looking for another LS (95+)
Old 02-22-15, 04:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Very sorry to hear this - glad you are safe.
Old 02-22-15, 09:50 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your so much nicer than I am, had I known an impact was inevitable I would have taken this douche with me into the wall.

That being said I'm shocked at how well my 96 does with studded tires, I can even get in and out of my driveway which is unheard of for a rear wheel drive in the winter season. I know there is plenty of hype surrounding non studded snow tires and many are indeed very good, but on ice and snow pack NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING beats studs. If you have snow like we do here in SD then it's something to consider.

Did this gal stop or just keep going? With a size 15 shoe you must be 7'20, no wonder they kept going... I'm glad your ok and I hope you get a suitable replacement soon.
Old 02-22-15, 01:05 PM
CSTU93
Driver

Sad to hear about your LS but glad it protected you!
Old 02-22-15, 05:32 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Well If I had a snow plow I would have ram into that moron... I spent so much time working on making the LS the way I wanted that I would still try to save it versus hitting the guy(or gal).

lol yeah i'm 6'4", he/she didn't stop...

Yeah in the end that's all that matter, I'm in one piece and it's only a car. It will be hard to find another one in good condition like I had, but nothing is impossible. This experience show me that the car is the perfect car to protect my family too.
Old 02-23-15, 12:43 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you're alright, man! As for the car, NOOOOOOOOO. Looking forward to your next build and what you do with it. Hopefully, you'll still be able to salvage some parts.
Old 02-23-15, 07:10 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sad to hear about your loss... but glad you're OK. I know it's a pain to find one as good as the one you lost. Sleet and freezing rain here today but had good luck with the 2000 on the roads. No problem whatsoever.
Good luck with your new search... I know that once you find a good thing, it's had to let go of.
Old 02-27-15, 12:51 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

People are far more expensive to fix than cars, glad you're OK
Old 02-27-15, 08:01 AM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
People are far more expensive to fix than cars, glad you're OK
yup! Doing physio, my neck is already much better.

Good news is that with what the insurance company is giving me I'm breaking even (minus winter tires). Scrap is coming to pickup the car today and still no other decent LS.

Not true, I found a 2001 LS430 with 210k miles on it that look very clean that fit my price range, but I still prefer the look of the 2nd gen and also found a nice 99 GS400 but the problem is that they have only a 2500lbs towing capacity and IMO it's too low for our tent trailer (1700 lbs empty).

Ill keep hunting the perfect LS down i guess.
Old 02-27-15, 06:35 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about your loss but it's good that you weren't seriously hurt! Hopefully you can find another quality LS as i'd like to see what you had in store for the sound system.

good luck with the search
Old 03-05-15, 02:59 AM
nttung1711
Driver School Candidate

Glad you're OK. How about other guys?
Old 03-05-15, 07:15 AM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nttung1711
Glad you're OK. How about other guys?
He or she probably never looked at their rear view mirror and "unfortunately" I managed to not to hit the car.

In term of $, I didn't loose much, but I don't count my time... Let's say I've learned a lot from this car, so the next one should take much less time to fix.
Old 03-20-15, 07:12 PM
JJDAG
Driver

Originally Posted by lchouinard
It saved my life, twice!

On my way to work listening to music a bit too loud, was going to take the exit (was 3 min away from the office) going at ~45mph and a guy cut me (i'm in the right lane) to get to the exit...

Now, it was snowing overnight and it was a bit slippery, nothing bad but I disengaged TRAC since I was tired of the car coming to a stall when launching at every stop sign. Are yours oversensitive too?

Anyway, so when the guy got in front of me and slowed down for the exit I slammed the brake to slow down, but the car didn't slow down as usual so in a desperate move I turned to the left to not hit him. Now it's where everything goes to hell, as soon as I started turning, the back wheel started spinning and realized that my big snow boots (I wear 15 size shoes) was pressing on both pedals. Too late, I'm now at 45deg going straight at the wall.

Impact hit hard, both Air bag deployed and car end up in the middle of the highway, luckily there was no other near me when it happened. I was struggling to breath because of the smoke of the airbag, so roll down the windows and realize that in a very precarious position (there a curve in the road and car coming had about 500ft to see me). Engine was stopped, I put it in neutral and to my surprise it started, put In drive and was able to drive the car to a safe spot. This probably saved me a 2nd accident...

Right now I'm filled with anger, a little about the moron who jumped in front of me, but most about myself for not realizing that I was hitting both pedal and that I couldn't handle the back going sideways. Also, with TRAC on this wouldn't have happen, but It's dangerous in so many other ways that I accept that fact.

Waiting to see what the insurance will give me, but I'm already looking for another LS (95+)
So sorry man that was a sweet sounding car. Remember you can buy another one ya cant buy another you !
Old 03-20-15, 07:15 PM
JJDAG
Driver

Originally Posted by Caseyjones
Your so much nicer than I am, had I known an impact was inevitable I would have taken this douche with me into the wall.

That being said I'm shocked at how well my 96 does with studded tires, I can even get in and out of my driveway which is unheard of for a rear wheel drive in the winter season. I know there is plenty of hype surrounding non studded snow tires and many are indeed very good, but on ice and snow pack NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING beats studs. If you have snow like we do here in SD then it's something to consider.

Did this gal stop or just keep going? With a size 15 shoe you must be 7'20, no wonder they kept going... I'm glad your ok and I hope you get a suitable replacement soon.
Casey you are 100% my last car i used 4 real studded snows and some weight in the trunk the car wend through anything as long as it was not much more than a foot deep. 96 Lincoln Town Car with no traction control.
Old 03-20-15, 10:06 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JJDAG
So sorry man that was a sweet sounding car. Remember you can buy another one ya cant buy another you !
YUP! but so far I cannot seem to find another one to buy lol I was spoiled with a top shape one, that car have set the bar high for anything else.

My wife tried to convinced me to get a pickup instead, I always wanted one but never really look into them. Anyways we went to see a few with a 2011 Tundra Crewmax being the nicest we found. Problem is that they all felt cheap compared to the LS, I expect that from my wife Yaris but from a car with an original sale price of +60k$ I would expect more. Problem now is that she tried an Acura MDX and loved it, Ill have to admit that it look well made, but we didn't test drove it so it may drive like a bus (aka Honda Pilot).

I've look at numerous cars in the past couples of days and I can't get the LS out of my head. I'm addicted

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 96 is gone (totalled)