LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Squeaky front seats - leather rubbing plastic

Old 02-21-15, 05:30 PM
tomgadgets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky front seats - leather rubbing plastic

Loved my 1993 LS400 but the squeaky front seats were driving me nuts! Whenever I sit down or move around the leather is rubbing the plastic seat backs at the bottom and rear of the leather front seats. Found that Krytox is an excellent long lasting lube that does not harm leather nor plastic. Applied some between the seams where the leather seats are folded into the plastic parts and all my squeaks are GONE! Just want to share this in case any of you LS400 folks are facing the same issue.

The product I got is this: DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube. You can Google it and get it online. Use the grease tube version as there are many different types of Krytox. It is supposed to be long lasting and doesn't dry out easily, so hopefully it is a one off or yearly maintenance type thing to keep my LS400 calm and serene.

Last edited by tomgadgets; 02-22-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-23-15, 01:57 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

wow haha never knew such a product existed for such a use! thanks for the share.

there is also a product meant to keep rubber seals and weatherstripping pliable!
Old 02-23-15, 05:24 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll definitely have to pick up a small tube of that lube; I've noticed some squeaks/rubbing noises on my seat recently and it's starting to drive me nuts. Thanks for the information
Old 02-24-15, 07:40 AM
tomgadgets
Driver School Candidate

So far one week after application the seats are as quiet as ever. By the way I bought Krytox originally for my convertible roof rubber seals, and thought it might be good for the seats and it worked. By the way, a bit goes a long way, no need to over apply, so the 0.5oz tube should be more than enough for both seats. You could also apply some on your rubber seals if it is getting dry/cracking. I did that with all of my door seals / sunroof seals for the LS400 and wind noise seems to have reduced at highway speeds.
Old 02-24-15, 05:21 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I was actually going to ask about the product on rubber seals and weather stripping due to timmy's post. If this stuff works for both, I'm definitely going to try and pick this up tomorrow. The biggest gripe I have with my LS is the amount of wind noise I seem to be hearing from the windows/weather stripping.
Old 03-02-15, 12:47 AM
tomgadgets
Driver School Candidate

You will definitely notice a decrease in wind noise. Exactly how much will depend on the condition of your rubber seals. To make it effective you need to apply to the rubber strips around all your doors and also your sunroof rubber seals. To help prevent your trunk from leaking, you might also want to apply to the trunk seals. Remember, a bit goes a long way, don't over apply as it is not necessary, a thin layer of film on top of the rubber seals will be sufficient. Remember to REALLY CLEAN YOUR SEALS before application, use paper towels or microfiber cloth with soap to clean the seals really well before Krytox application. For under $15, it is the best bang for the buck I have made on my LS400.

Last edited by tomgadgets; 03-02-15 at 12:50 AM.