LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cam cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 09:31 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam cover

I am convinced that something is ticking in the cam cover on the driver's side. It didn't start doing this until we changed plugs, wires, caps and rotors. I had 3 mechanics listen to from 3 diff places inlcuding the dealership. One said it was normal, other said it could be the valves (which the lex dealer said no way - he has only had to adjust 1 value in a lex the far back one) and the other said it sounded like the injector which is on that same side behind the cam cover and that was normal for a 93 with 95K. I know my car and i know it didn't sound like that before I had the work done. So what I want to do is remove the driver's side cam cover and start the car to see if the ticking goes away. Will it hurt anything to remove the cam cover and start the car with the cam and v-belt exposed?
Old 03-15-03, 03:32 AM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your info, My 92 LS with 94Kmiles were ticking also.
Although local Lexus mechanic told me that it is not likely my valves, I was almost certain that the noise was coming from my valve. So I took off the cylinder head covers and measured the valve clearance myself. Well, guess what. Not one, but two valves on the driver side needed an adjustment.

Well, to answer your question, it should be OK to start your car with timing belt cover off. (when you said cam cover, you meant timing belt cover and NOT cylinder head cover right?)
Old 03-15-03, 09:32 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

There is one cover over each side. It is the cover that goes over the rotor/cap.

On the drivers side it also extends to go over the plugs.
Old 03-15-03, 01:20 PM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

That's the timing belt cover, and it should be ok to start the engine without it. Just be careful not to touch the timing belt when engine is running.
Old 03-15-03, 03:11 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you mean by ticking? some toyota engines tick and it is normal. if you hear clanking, then that means it's ur valves that need to be adjusted, but NORMALLY, V8's rarely need adjustment. only 4 cylinder cars do.
Old 03-15-03, 06:37 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

it's a constant tick that goes up or down with the trottle. it didn't start doing this until i had the plugs, wires, caps and rotors changed. before it was smooth, couldn't even hear the motor running with the hood down.
Old 03-17-03, 04:43 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pehaps a bad or poorly installed plug wire? How is the car running? Is it performing properly?

Just a few low-budget thoughts.....as you said, it was fine until they touched it.
Old 03-17-03, 04:53 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

car runs great - that's the kicker.
Old 03-17-03, 05:29 PM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Default ticking noise

I have removed my timing cover many times, you may
want to check the plastic housing that is part of the distributor housing,
it sometimes slips out of the housing and can rub against the timing belt causing a ticking or rubbing sound. just a thought, i have noise in my engine and I am getting ready to do a valve job in the next couple weeks or so, all you have to do is measure and install new shims.
good luck
92lexus
Old 03-17-03, 06:04 PM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ticking may be from a spark jump from somewhere in the plug, wires, etc. It may even be comming from the plug chamber. Possible you don't have one or more of the connectors seated on the plugs or even possibly a bad plug.

Remove each plug wire completely, one at a time and see if it goes away.

I just bet your hearing a spark jump somewhere. Do you have a garage you can pull the car into and make completely dark? Try that and look for a light bluish white spark jumping somewhere in that area.