LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 LS400 for daughter

Old 02-02-15, 09:39 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1991 LS400 for daughter

I am new here and drive a beautiful 98 LS400. Absolutely love this car and my daughter has been learning to drive in this car and it's ride is amazing. So we found a little gem on Craigslist, a dark green 91 with 132,000 on the clock. Drove it this weekend and for a 24 year old car it is dialed. I have been reading that some early models are trouble and she has her heart set on it. Would this be a wise buy for a first car for the kid is what I'm getting at. We are definitely going LS and would appreciate any wisdom here. Thanks!
Old 02-03-15, 12:17 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now let me start by saying that I drive a 1999 (dark green as well haha), and my father got it for me as my first car (in 2012/16th birthday).

Being that this will serve as a first car, an important thing to note is that the 1991 model doesn't have as many safety features as the models that came after it (92-00). Ideally, the newer the model year, the more safety features that came default on the car. Gas mileage would be on the low end because of the older engine design (Toyota/Lexus added some fuel saving features to the newer models as they went along).

Now as far as "aging" goes, for a 1991, it's actually pretty low miles (about 5500 miles a year). What I would do is try to get the VIN number from the seller, and run it through Lexus' own VIN checking system. This lets you see service history, which can give you a good idea of how well it was maintained. Another thing to look at, would be this Buyers Guide from LS400 Data to give you an idea of what to look out for on your second time seeing the car. Now for maintenance and assorted parts, that should be reasonably priced, but being an older car, certain parts would become a little harder to find, but there are plenty of cars in junkyards with good, salvageable parts for use. As for OE-replacement pieces, those tend to be a little more expensive depending on the brand, in comparison to parts for the 95-00 LS.

As far as miscellaneous things to look out for? Try to avoid cars with factory air suspension, since the struts used in those system are definitely on their way out, and cost upwards of $1000 per strut to replace. Now this next bit is more subjective, but should you ever decide to upgrade the stereo in the car in favor of something more modern, then you would want to avoid the "Nakamichi" head units. The way the Nakamichi system is wired, makes for a major hassle, as far as retaining the OEM speakers goes.

That being said, wishing you, and your daughter, all the best with her first car!

Last edited by Sc0pe; 02-03-15 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 12:30 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go for 98 and above that is very old car
Old 02-03-15, 02:37 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I like the Gen 1's, but I can agree about some inherent problems that they have. Leaky trunks, front suspensions that don't last too long (hmmm its an LS thing I guess) power steering pump leaks, climate control lcd gets fogged, the famous ecu capacitor problem, leaky moon roof stuff, lock cylinders corroding and not working, antenna not working. Any car can have problems.
If you do go for it find out when was the timing belt done? I have one with 137K and the belt looks like it was never done so that could be the case with that one too. I know from a brother inlaw that had a 90 his T belt broke at 144,000, so they can go over the recommended mileage, that is a Gen 1 can. No matter what car she gets if it is in real good shape teach her to keep it that way, inside and out. That way if she ever decides to sell it then she could either get more than it cost or at least have it hold the money spent to purchase it. That means not parking in tiny parking spots, hauling inconsiderate friends around that trash it, etc. etc. Good luck and I hope she enjoys it.
Old 02-03-15, 07:06 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Thanks for the feedback. I saw the car last weekend in Reno, NV. The temperature was 30 degrees and the car had frost all over it. I popped the hood and was expecting to see some worn hoses after 20 plus years but it was pristine. Power steering pump had been replaced but it will need a timing belt/water pump. Car started up immediately and everything works except the temp display which is fogged out. Car cruised at 80 no sweat with the A/C on and no noticeable increase in temp. Hard stops are ok but the smaller brakes are very noticeable.Interior is 8/10. Heated seats work too! I would love a later model year but they are hard to find in my area. I drove 2+ hours to see this one. I am being patient but this was the cleanest I have seen yet. Thanks!
Old 02-03-15, 12:43 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had a '91 for a while now. Up to about 189k miles I think, with several hundred k more to go. I think it would be a great car for your daughter if she likes it. My daughter just turned 17 and she ended up not liking the LS, in favor of an older X5. They're both good first cars, in my opinion. Big, safe, easy to drive, nice but cheap enough that if they're totaled it's not the end of the world.

All the advice you're getting above is good. Some extra points though:

- the '91 has the non-interference engine. This means that it is not catastrophic if the timing belt breaks. If you're looking to save some $$, you can postpone the TB/WP maintenance until it's actually a repair (that may never be needed), or at least until you know the car is a keeper.

- LCD temp display - that's a $45 eBay fix if you can solder

- ECU capacitors - that's a $10 digi-key fix if you can solder

- Stereo - all my daughter cared about there was being able to plug in her iPhone. So a cassette adapter in the stock base-level Pioneer system was all she needed there. So in this case a stereo with cassette is better than one with a CD player.

- Potential repairs - front suspension: lower ball joints, upper control arms, and thrust arm bushings are common failure points. If you can jack up the front and check for looseness there, you may be able to find any problems if they exist. Or maybe you can just check to see if repairs have been done.

BTW, I'm not too far from you in NorCal, I think. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss on the phone.
Old 02-03-15, 01:46 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Having a car shipped is a great investment IF the vehicle is exactly what you want and need.

I have a 98 and the dual front and side airbags are comforting.

Another car that is really cool is the SC400 - an LS in a sportier body - but only two doors with minimal room in the back. This cuts down on a full car of squealing teenagers distracting the driver and "other" backseat activities...
Old 02-03-15, 02:18 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

older LS' s are great cars if you can do most repairs yourself. Since this car is for your daughter I'm not so sure. Repair costs can add up fast if you can't repair yourself. Something to consider
Old 02-03-15, 02:31 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Another car that is really cool is the SC400 - an LS in a sportier body - but only two doors with minimal room in the back. This cuts down on a full car of squealing teenagers distracting the driver and "other" backseat activities...
good idea, but SC cars are considered sports cars so insurance will be at a premium, especially for a new driver.

LSs are great cars for a first time driver, maybe a bit too nice bc you are setting the bar high so early! the only quip i have to say is the gas mileage where the 90-94 models are the worst at. plus you NEED to put premium unless you don't care about the car all that much.

other than that, this car is the most solid platform for the price hands down!
Old 02-03-15, 03:12 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

So premium is a MUST? No knock sensors in the early models? Good to know about the non-interference engine. Some repairs I am willing to do myself depending on the complexity. I am not concerned necessarily with age since there are a lot of well seasoned automobiles out there and the miles are low. I will keep looking though and everyone, I appreciate all the feedback. Great forum.