LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 LS400 question on wheel, nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 09:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default 99 LS400 question on wheel, nav

I'm thinking about picking up a 99 LS400 in silver or white with Nav as an everyday driver and have a couple of easy questions. Want the lighter colors since this car will be parked outside most of the time and they'll be easier with heat and dirt.

- Is the wood wheel an option or do all LS's come with one? My GF isn't a fan of them.

- I assume the Nav is like the GS of that year (CD-based). How wide a region is covered? If I get a car in Atlanta or DC, will it include Charlotte maps in detail?

- Does anyone have info on the 'platinum' warranty? Any links, etc. that I can read to confirm what it contains and is transferrable. Haven't done a search for this yet, will do so.

- Any typical caveats with this car I should look out for? I've driven one before when I was shopping for my GS and liked it. Some have warned me to watch for headroom issues with this generation LS (I don't recall a problem when I drove it).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-12-03 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-12-03, 04:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good choice Dave. The hard drive base Nav will cover all the major cities and towns in the U.S.
I think the 99 wood steering wheel is an option, but if the LS comes with Nav. Most likely it will come wood steering. I don't think you will have any problem to get rid of your wood steering wheel or trade it with another member here.
So far this car almost has no problem or major problem yet. Every once a while I see some with bad TPS , cracked wood steering wheel and the outside temp. is 2 degrees off compare to the temp. annouce by the radio station. That's all I can think of so far. I think it's one of the best car out there and one of my favor to work on, I mean service...hehehe.
Old 03-12-03, 04:25 PM
jtuoti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, '99s came standard with the wood wheels and wood trimmed shifter. It was an option in '98.

VVT-i, Does your glowing recommendation extend to '98s as well? That's what I'm in the market for. thanks
Old 03-12-03, 07:23 PM
jslionheart1
Rookie

Default platinum warranty is transferable

http://www.lexus.com/showroom/protection/platinum.html

Here is a link from www.lexus.com which discusses the platinum warranty in detail.
Old 03-12-03, 08:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally posted by jslionheart1
http://www.lexus.com/showroom/protection/platinum.html

Here is a link from www.lexus.com which discusses the platinum warranty in detail.
Thanks all for your responses.

Jason, found that link just a bit earlier today, thanks. However, I still haven't been able to find anything that indicates that the warranty is transferrable. Did you see anything in there that specifically shows it is?
Old 03-13-03, 07:57 AM
tenpointed
Banned

Jason, found that link just a bit earlier today, thanks. However, I still haven't been able to find anything that indicates that the warranty is transferrable. Did you see anything in there that specifically shows it is?
Lexus extended warranty's are transferable 1 time. After that, you're SOL. This is only applicable if buying from a private party who purchased the extended warranty. If you trade your car in, you'll have to get the refund for the unused portion directly from Lexus as dealers won't give you any credit for the warranty. The Lexus dealers business offices are always more than happy to sell you an extended warranty. Just make sure it is a Lexus warranty and not after-market, and that you negotiate the price. The new car warranty for cars with less than 36k miles and 3 yrs you should be able to get for no more than $1100 and if you need the used car warranty, figure no more than $1500 from experience.
Old 03-13-03, 11:48 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hello

I bought a 98 LS400 and it did not have the Wood wheel and shifter, so I bought them. Which means I have availibe my orginal Leather Wheel and Shifter for sale. These are in prestine condition sence my car only had 25k miles on it when I bought it last year.

Jerry
Old 03-13-03, 12:29 PM
jslionheart1
Rookie

Default well said

What tenpointed said is 100% consistent with my experiences/knowhow. Of course, the warranty price differs on type (gold or platinum) and dealership.

Lexus corporate handles transfers or refunds of used-car Lexus warranties, not the specific dealerships.
I have confirmed this today via Lexus extra care customer service at 1-800-448-1505.