LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this a good deal on a 00 LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 12:28 PM
mischief7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal on a 00 LS400?

Im looking at buying a 2000 Ls400. It has 248k miles on it. This year its had new spark plugs, brakes, starter, alternator, and tires. It has been repainted, and its not bad, but it has a little orange peel and would look way better with a wet sand and polish. The only options I noticed offhand were: moonroof, heated seats, 6 disk changer, and chrome wheels.

So I have some observations and questions:

Brake wear indicator is still on (found the answer to that already)
Paint isnt great

It has a little vibration about 65mph+ on the highway, passenger front tire has some feathering on the outside edge so it could be that. Any other culprits?

But the major concern is that the person has owned the car 7 years and doesnt know when the last time the timing belt and water pump was done. (he hasnt done it)

The car is silver (and was originally silver) with black interior and he wants $4000. Is this a decent deal or should I keep looking?
Old 12-14-14, 04:12 PM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

Keep looking!

Shoddy paint, it NEEDS a timing belt, high miles AND high price...
Old 12-14-14, 06:04 PM
mischief7
Rookie

What would be a good price? I know I can get the timing belt kit for $170, and get it put on for fairly cheap (friend). I think i could wet sand and buff the paint out myself...
Old 12-14-14, 06:30 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Key words "repainted" = junk. The factory paint job is the best any car will ever have. Well unless you have Charley Hutton do the paint. But that will likely run you into the $20,000.00 range. When a car is painted something is being hid, some kind of damage. If you don't mind having a junker lexus then do it. But your paying way too much for a wrecking yard car.

It sounds like a car to use for parts only.
Old 12-14-14, 06:37 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Most cars at that age/mileage have had some body work or paint done to it so don't let that discourage you. All the mods that ppl on this very forum require some body work and repaint! If you can live with the quality of the job and negotiate it down another $500 I would give it a hard look. You still will probably need suspension work done.
Old 12-14-14, 08:03 PM
mischief7
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
Key words "repainted" = junk. If you don't mind having a junker lexus then do it. But your paying way too much for a wrecking yard car.

It sounds like a car to use for parts only.
thats kind of harsh for somebody that says their own car has repainted parts on it dont you think?

Originally Posted by sha4000
Most cars at that age/mileage have had some body work or paint done to it so don't let that discourage you. All the mods that ppl on this very forum require some body work and repaint! If you can live with the quality of the job and negotiate it down another $500 I would give it a hard look. You still will probably need suspension work done.
yea, the paint bothers me, but its not a deal breaker. I would like an awesome condition factory paint job, but its not that bad, I mean 10' away you wouldnt even notice and it looks great, 3' away you can tell its a repaint.

When I sold my IS300, the guy texted me a picture 2 weeks later bc he had it painted. There was only chips on the bumper and a couple on the door

What type of suspension work do you think? Struts and bushings for ....?
Old 12-14-14, 09:10 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I'm okay with a repaint of certain parts like bumpers etc. But not the body, on a good car it is not needed.
If you can get it for $1500 then do it. Because everything your talking about being bad makes it not worth more than that. If the time comes for you to sell it your going to loose a bunch, because you need to add all the "needs to be fixed" to an already over priced car.
Old 12-14-14, 10:13 PM
mischief7
Rookie

Thats true, but he was a young guy, 25, said his dad gave it to him a few years ago and it was chipped up bc his dad drove it to travel for work.

Either way, I think I'll keep looking
Old 12-15-14, 03:48 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I would keep looking if the paint is that bad. Don't settle for a car that you don't really want. As far as suspension balljoints, strut bar bushings and shocks come to mind as well as other things with that amount of miles.
Old 12-15-14, 05:04 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

The timing belt history is often missing, at least if you do it yourself you'll know when its been done.
Repaint can often be pretty high quality, a 250k factory paint job is probably not going to look amazing at this point anyways. My car was repainted in Japan and the job is very very good.

Pictures?
Old 12-15-14, 08:04 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

feathering tires means the strut rod bushings will most likely need to be replaced. that's pretty high miles for the car but the price reflects it. what are you plans for the car? if you want a reliable car to last more than 5 years then this is not the car for you.
Old 12-15-14, 09:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

repainting the body is completely fine, provided it is done properly, which often it isn't.
Old 12-16-14, 02:48 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
repainting the body is completely fine, provided it is done properly, which often it isn't.
Agree, the average good paint job is in the $8,000. range. All windows need to come out all the trim etc. hours of sanding and masking. And if its an all urethane paint job the paint should be as good as factory. I know an auto glass guy he gets paid pretty good taking out the glass and reinstalling it for a body shop, not his only job either, its close to 200 per window.
Old 12-16-14, 05:57 AM
mischief7
Rookie

i think he must have sold it already, I dont see the ad on craigslist today
Old 12-16-14, 06:33 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Its because the price was low, or they decided to keep it from all the morons test driving it! (not saying its you)

There are lots of mint LS400's out there, just be patient! shame you guys aren't in Canada, you can get totally unreal hardly driven Celsior's all day from Japan for 5000$ (20k miles)

Not mine of course, but thats because I wanted a black car and am a moron.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal on a 00 LS400?