LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Owner, minor issues

Old 11-21-14, 06:03 AM
bdruff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner, minor issues

I looked for a month for the right ls400. Yesterday, I pulled the trigger. I've been a fan for a long time and know the value of these cars.
96 with 135,000 miles, maintained at a dealership with records, very clean with some very minor issues.

The power lock on the driver side does not work with either lock button. It doesn't work with the keyless remote either.

The rear view mirror adjuster does not work 100%. On the driver side only, it does not move the mirror to the right. When I press in the down direction, the mirror moves almost diagonal and to the right. The passenger side mirror works perfectly and the adjusting button moves the mirror in the right directions.

The plastic piece behind the drivers side interior door handle that holds the memory positions is broken. The buttons work although I do not know how to set them yet so I'm not 100% they work properly.

I'm wondering if the mirror and lock might be related.

I didn't notice it when I bought the car, but I did notice a popping sound when pulling into a parking lot. I noticed if I turn the wheel either way (Doesn't have to be all the way left or right), I can recreate it. The car drives straight and feels solid. I can take my hands off the wheel and it does not drift. I thought I sensed just a little vibration around 70 mph but it's so subtle, I didn't know if it might just be the road. I visually inspected the bushings and tie rods. They don't look bad; the rubber doesn't look ripped and I don't see any leaks, but I've read here they wear out and may need to be replaced.

I'll be reading threads for days now. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-21-14, 06:12 AM
bdruff
Driver School Candidate

Should have included this:

Maintenance and inspection at 119,000 miles:

rear brake pads and rotors replaced, brake calipers cleaned/serviced, rear brakes pads replaced, rotors resurfaced.
Old 11-21-14, 06:39 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome aboard and seems like a great find. Yes, the threads have a wealth of information.

Setting the buttons is easy... put the seat where you want it. Press the set button and hold and press the number button you want. Should hear a beep when complete. Must be in park for this to work.

Mirror and lock are not related. Those lock motors go out... there are threads on that. And the mirror will be a separate issue.

Enjoy the new ride and yes, take care of the minor issues so you can enjoy it even more.
Old 11-21-14, 03:30 PM
bdruff
Driver School Candidate

Popping sound is more like a creaking door when its opening. Slow speeds...turning the wheel either way, especially near center. Was not doing it, at least this bad, when I test drove it. Makes me wonder if he oiled a worn part before I drove it. No popping over speed bumps...not 100% it's a tie rod bit I dont know the symptoms except what I've read on here.
Old 11-21-14, 04:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Check the front lower ball joints and sway bar end links.
Old 11-21-14, 05:31 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

That sound is a bent tie rod or sway bar. Easy fix just bend it back. Had the same issue and my mech fixed it for free. As far as the mirror goes I had the same issue. Just leave the selector in the middle position when not in use as having one motor always engaged is not good for it. Within a few months the issue was strangely gone and I had full controllability
Old 11-21-14, 05:44 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattylex77
That sound is a bent tie rod or sway bar. Easy fix just bend it back. Had the same issue and my mech fixed it for free. As far as the mirror goes I had the same issue. Just leave the selector in the middle position when not in use as having one motor always engaged is not good for it. Within a few months the issue was strangely gone and I had full controllability
hmmm? you mean i shouldn't leave the mirror selector to one side all the time? Its helpful when I go to reverse.
Old 11-22-14, 11:19 AM
bdruff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mattylex77
bend it back? Did your mechanic remove it to bend it back. Might be worth replacing if I have to take it off. I'll get a better look today.
Old 11-23-14, 01:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I wouldn't use it even if it could be bent back, the metal's fatigued already and the replacement parts are CHEAP. too much risk for too little money saved.
Old 11-25-14, 07:36 AM
bdruff
Driver School Candidate

Haven't had a chance to post back. Creaking is/was the best way to describe it. Exactly like a door with old hinges. I jacked it up with both front tires off the ground. The sound was coming from the drivers side so I started there. When I grabbed the tire to check for play, it was like it released and dropped a little bit. I looked at all the bushings, ball joints, tie rods. Everything on the drivers side looked pretty good. I did find a torn boot on the passenger side outside tie rod that should be replaced. I started the car and turned the wheel side to side but no creaking. I had a helper turn it slowly while I got close for inspection but couldn't hear anything at all. It felt smooth. I didn't sense any movement side to side or up and down.

I lowered it down and turned the wheel, no creaking. I've driven it about 60 miles now and smooth as can be; no popping or creaking.