LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Remote Start Question - CHICAGOLAND - 1999 LS400

Old 11-17-14, 05:13 PM
FutureOwnr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Question - CHICAGOLAND - 1999 LS400

Question for you all,

I'm attempting to get my LS400 installed soon. This car audio and alarm place near me wants to charge me the following and I need to know if I'm getting swindled and if it's a good deal:

-Premium Viper Remote Start installed with 2 transmitters
-Anti-grind protection
-Lifetime warranty on parts and labors and complimentary uninstall if I ever sell it.

$229.00

-To add the ability to UNLOCK to above (using the remote start prevents the ability from using my factory Lexus key fob to unlock/press panic/trunk pop/locked car)

$30.00

-Lexus Immobilizer interface module

$95.00

Total = $355.00

***Special price on Viper Smart Start of $99 if I want to add that on, plus the $60/annually to keep it activated...

Everyone please chime in.... I've always had remote start on my previous vehicles, particularly a 99 Honda Accord with a chip in it and I had a Prestige Audiovox 787c alarm + remote start installed for like $200 something dollars and have done so in the past with other cars w/o chips in the keys with no problem.

I've heard from multiple legit sources that Toyota/Lexus are particularly complicated when it comes down to the remote start with the ability of still using all the functions simultaneously with the factory remote. Don't need nothing fancy, but didn't expect for my Lexus key remote to become inactive if I use the remote start unless I pay $355 to have the viper remote unlock my door to get me inside my car while my car is running since my factory remote will not work from what I have been told, in essence, I would have to turn off the remote start while the car is running in order to use my factory key remote which is crazy.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-14, 06:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

yeah a honda system, esp early honda systems are much more simple compared to the flagship model lexus you have! this is why it is much easier to steal a honda.

i have not seen anyone talk about remote starts on LS400s so i am curious to know how to bypass the factory keyless entry and security system as well. i've installed remote start alarms (in my accord too) so i know what it takes.

the cost is pretty much the labor since viper alarms are around $100-150 by itself. to bypass the factory immobilizer built into the key is a feat on its own. what i've seen alarm installers do is actually use a spare key, placed it into a box (maybe this is the immobilizer interface unit), and placed it in close proximity to the ignition switch to bypass. then the remote start can do its thing.

anti-grind sounds silly to me bc all remote starts need some sort of tach signal to sense the car is actually on as to not try to re-engage the starter. this should be built in to every remote start alarm system.

the factory remote will not work if the engine is on. this needs to be bypasses as well if you want that feature to work with remote start. better way to go about it all is to just install an aftermarket keyless system to do keyless entry AND remote start. viper systems can do this!