LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

High Priority Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-14, 11:57 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Priority Maintenance

Hi There!
Below is a list of things that my mechanic marked that need to get fixed/ replaced on my 2000 LS400. Granted this was done when the car was at 93,000 miles and now I'm up to 101,000 miles. I get my car serviced every 5,000 miles (oil change, new oil filter, top off all fluids and sometimes other things that need to get done as well) I've slowly checked things off the list. Currently outstanding issues that need to get taken care on the car are;
-New Radiator and radiator cap
-New Timing Belt
-Spark Plugs (he say's due at 120,000 miles)
-Power Steering hoses/ pump needs to be replaced
-Front caster arms (torn bushings, vibration when driving and clunk sound when stopping quickly)
-Valve cover gaskets
-TPS sensor (throttle body cleaning included)
-Engine Mounts

What is the most urgent thing that I should get done right now? I'm due to bring the car in for service within the next few weeks and want to knock out one or two of the above recommended fixes. Right now I'm leaning to the TPS sensor and the front caster arms but I'm all ears to those who may have a different opinion.

Also, is the throttle body something that should be cleaned regularly??

Thanks!
Old 11-16-14, 03:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Timing belt is priority over everthing else. '95+ LS400s are interference engines, so if the belt goes, the motor's toast.

Timing belt, water pump, idler pullies, and tensioner should be done together. Not a bad time to thorw on a fresh serpentine belt as well.

The TPS is not a wear item and does not need to be replaced unless there is a problem with the throttle body. The Throttle body can be easily cleaned when the front of the motor's stripped down for the timing belt.

Caster arms and spark plugs would be tied for the 2nd place, plugs are due at 90k miles, not 120k.
Old 11-16-14, 10:02 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Concur with PD's listing.

With the car in for a timing belt, the front is easily accessible for the PS work. May inquire if they will give a labor charge discount/break if you have that service performed too. Is there leakage from the system? The power steering ACV seems to leak at the 80-100K mile range.
Old 11-16-14, 10:43 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Yes the timing belt would be the most important and COSTLY thing on that list but if the radiator is leaking or broke I would do that FIRST or you could damage the engine and be left stranded somewhere. In a perfect world you would do the TB and the radiator at the same time since they would have to remove the radiator anyway to get to the TB.
Old 11-16-14, 12:29 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Thank you for the help. I guess I'll do the timing belt (its just SO EXPENSIVE!). But I'd rather have it done that ruin the engine. Timing belt he quoted me $515.60 for labor and $65.68 for parts (He uses all genuine parts) Does that sound reasonable? and for the radiator he said he can do it for $634 total ($206 labor, $395 parts)
Old 11-16-14, 12:30 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Yes, there is a leak.
Old 11-16-14, 01:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

confirm what he is replacing, for a parts spend that low it does not seem like the water pump, idlers, and tensioners are being replaced. That's about right for JUST the belt.

9/10 times when owners have issues it isn't the belt snapping on it's own, it's the water pump or idlers seizing, shredding the belt, and destroying the engine.

If you are having him replace the radiator at the same time, the labor should be no more than 1/2 an hour to swap the fans from the old unit to the new one, as the radiator has to be taken out anyways during the tb/wp swap.
Old 11-16-14, 05:39 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PD is right! Also you can buy a DENSO radiator from rockauto for only 68.99+ shipping.
Old 11-17-14, 02:27 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

TPS is a wear item! It is a variable resistor thus a moving part. Ask Yamae.
Old 11-17-14, 04:01 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by dicer
TPS is a wear item! It is a variable resistor thus a moving part. Ask Yamae.
because something may wear out eventually does not make it a "wear item". The TPS, especially in the '98-00 Cars where it is integrated with the electronic throttle body, does not wear out in a standard pattern, and it is unusual for owners to have problems in under 200-300,000 miles.
Old 11-17-14, 09:15 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
Thank you for the help. I guess I'll do the timing belt (its just SO EXPENSIVE!). But I'd rather have it done that ruin the engine. Timing belt he quoted me $515.60 for labor and $65.68 for parts (He uses all genuine parts) Does that sound reasonable? and for the radiator he said he can do it for $634 total ($206 labor, $395 parts)
Like PD stated it sounds like he would just be replacing the belt and not the water pump and pulleys. and I would strongly suggest that you replace the radiator while he already has it out.
Old 11-17-14, 11:47 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

def change the timing belt. they are due every 90k miles! since you are in there already, the water pump, idler pulleys, tensioner, coolant, spark plugs, and serp belt should be changed as well.
Old 12-05-14, 04:20 PM
CaliLexis
Driver School Candidate

Default Complete timing belt kit....

Here's the kit I bought and installed about a month ago. It was the most complete kit I could find at the best price with the Aisin factory replacement water pump, also came with the camshaft seals and the crank seal. The timing belt had all 3 marks on it. 2 for the cams, one for the crank. I paid $145.28. I did everything in the kit, plus new Toyota red coolant (1997 LS400) and a new thermostat. Definitely do the cam and crank seals while your in there. Very easy and added less than a half hour to the job. Crazy not to! Good luck. Link to the kit......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-97-Lexus-LS400-SC400-4-0L-DOHC-Timing-Belt-AISIN-Water-Pump-Kit-1UZFE-/300935320489?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997%7CModel%3ALS400&hash=item46112493a91997 LS400

Last edited by CaliLexis; 12-05-14 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 12-06-14, 08:32 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
Hi There!

-New Radiator and radiator cap
-New Timing Belt
-Spark Plugs (he say's due at 120,000 miles)
-Power Steering hoses/ pump needs to be replaced
-Front caster arms (torn bushings, vibration when driving and clunk sound when stopping quickly)
-Valve cover gaskets
-TPS sensor (throttle body cleaning included)
-Engine Mounts

Thanks!
From that list I would start with the timing belt, the rest can wait.
I would also do spark plugs if necessary (if you are seeing bad MPG and such), because they are not expensive, and you could do them yourself if you want. With that,I would replace the distributor rotor and housing (and wires obviously).
Power steering can wait, unless there is a leak on your alternator (if there is, then do it asap)
Check about the front suspension, as too often people misdiagnose what the problem is... and then replace only what absolutely must be replaced (usually lower ball joints go first)
Valve cover gasket can wait, especially if you are not getting a big leak out of them
Engine mounts can also wait as can transmission mount (they should be done all together)

Last edited by peterls; 12-07-14 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-06-14, 11:16 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Thanks for the responses. When I took the car in to get the timing belt done they told me you have a really bad oil leak so they suggested I get the camshaft seals fixed asap at the same time as the timing belt because its all in the same general area and more convenient to do when the engine is taken apart. Long story short, got the camshaft seals fixed, brand new timing belt (they told me my old one that I had for the life of the car (102,000) miles was cracking so good thing they replaced it and got a new water pump as well as it was leaking. Power steering I plan on doing next month or so because the steering wheel makes a whine noice whenever I turn the wheel especially in the morning when its cold.

Quick Reply: High Priority Maintenance