LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Pics of UCF20/21's lowered 1.5" or less?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 06:03 PM
BigIron5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of UCF20/21's lowered 1.5" or less?

I just bought a 1999 LS400 to replace my 11MPG FJ80 as a daily driver. While I get caught up on the maintenance, I’m beginning to think about how I’d like the car to look and perform. I know these cars are known for their affinity to the VIP style, coilovers, and negative camber, and that’s generally what I’m seeing when searching for ideas.

I’m looking to do something I’d consider a bit classier and easier to live with on a day to day basis, yet somewhat unique. I’d also like to do my best to improve the handling performance, while maintaining a comfortable ride. This will mean running enough tire on whichever wheels I choose, and I’ve read the 45 ratio is pretty decent.

I’d like to see some photos of UCF20/21’s which are lowered less than 1.5” (stock is fine too), but which have been modified. I’d also like to hear from anyone else who shares my goals.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-21-14, 07:02 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

welcome! always check the FAQs too.

a good place to start!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s400s-101.html

really depends on your driving style, area where the car sees the most action, and style. it will vary greatly if say you are in an area that sees snow, versus an area where the sun is out all year long. i can daily my car all day long with a pretty decent drop > 2" and still be ok but of course i'm in sunny socal.
Old 10-22-14, 08:24 AM
BigIron5
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome, as well as the link. I'll be sure to check it out.

I'm a fairly cautious person in general, but I don't want to be a slave to my lowered car. It rains here 7-8 months out of the year. The car likely won't be driven in the snow, unless I get caught by surprise while at work (which has happened).
Old 10-22-14, 09:43 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

What I drove of Orgeon on 101 from Lincoln City to Coos Bay and the 5 from the border to Salem and 99 in similar parts was decent. No worse than parts of down town LA. The ruts left by the huge truck traffic on 5 wasn't very nice in some sections. A 2" drop is still reasonable clearance for daily driving.

The search criteria in Google-image: <H&R springs LS400> and <eibach springs lexus ls400> will bring up some pics. The Club Lexus pics are buried among threads here so Google will sort them easily for you to browse.
Old 10-22-14, 12:16 PM
Turbosauce
Rookie

Here It is lowered on 19's this is about .05 an inch from being maxed out on Megan ez streets
40 sidewall

And this is it at drive able height on 20's with 30 sidewall tires

Old 10-28-14, 03:50 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't like extreme lowering, it really messes up the useability of the car, driveways, potholes, ride comfort but I like it a little bit low anyways.

I have airbags on the 97 and I like it at this height, its got the snow tire 17's on it as the 19's that came with the car ride like the devil himself has a grudge with me.

The 93 is on coilovers at the Maximum height they'll go, I still think the cars look good but are way way more useable then the hella-flush thing.

Last edited by Kingsoup; 10-28-14 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 05:39 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigIron5
Thanks for the welcome, as well as the link. I'll be sure to check it out.

I'm a fairly cautious person in general, but I don't want to be a slave to my lowered car. It rains here 7-8 months out of the year. The car likely won't be driven in the snow, unless I get caught by surprise while at work (which has happened).
I live in the same general climate as you and my lower and now slammed LS has been fine in all weather I have hit. granted we rarely get snow here but what little it has seen it was fine on with my snow tires.

The biggest issue with lowering a car any amount, as far as i'm concerned is the wheel fitment and the types of road obstacles you encounter on a daily basis. Up here around me, every driveway into and out of anything has a steep peak or a gnarly approach angle, speed bumps are massive and the general road conditions are marginal and poorly maintained over the winter. With my old 3.75" drop, i was fine 95% of the time but it restrict me from a few areas and made some of the speed bumps a slow and angled ordeal. Now that iIm on air, I actually drive around 1" higher than before and don't have issues with speed bumps or driveways 99% of the time. For a street driven LS with relatively flat road obstacles, i think that a 24-25" fender height is very acceptable 99% of the time.

If you live in a more mountainous area, 25+" fender heights would probably suit you better.

Now if you get some lower offset and wider wheels and tires, all this changes as you are going to have rubbing when turning in and out of steep driveways.

You can easily make a car functional with a big drop but that would depend on where you are living...
Old 10-29-14, 07:13 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

I used to live in the same city as Shmee and ran the 93 Celsior there, big Speed bumps! those old ladies don't like you going fast! Its suprising how much even an extra 1" can affect ramming into things etc! I just don't like having to slow down in traffic to make a turn into a mall or something, with a small fender gap I can usually bomb in without risking the dreadful scraping noises that make you cringe from underneath the car.