LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Throttle Position Sensor Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 11:12 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor Faulty

Hi there,
My 2000 LS400 silver beauty has a faulty "TPS" (Throttle Position Sensor) which makes it really difficult to drive sometimes, especially in traffic. I got the diagnostic on the car done maybe two months ago and still havent gotten it replaced mainly because its almost $400 and they didnt have the part in stock the one time I went down to my mechanic to get it done. Is it ok to keep driving the car even with it faulty, will it damage the transmission? I'm paranoid about anything on my car that needs to be replaced or fixed but I just want to make sure the car is still ok to drive for the time being until the sensor gets replaced...hopefully soon.
Old 09-23-14, 05:55 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

If you can do it. Cheap replace. I did mine for a 92.

Sewell parts.

89452 8945230140
SENSOR, THROTTLE POSITION (FOR EFI - ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION) 01 In Stock $112.08 $97.87
Old 09-23-14, 06:58 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
Hi there,
My 2000 LS400 silver beauty has a faulty "TPS" (Throttle Position Sensor) which makes it really difficult to drive sometimes, especially in traffic. I got the diagnostic on the car done maybe two months ago and still havent gotten it replaced mainly because its almost $400 and they didnt have the part in stock the one time I went down to my mechanic to get it done. Is it ok to keep driving the car even with it faulty, will it damage the transmission? I'm paranoid about anything on my car that needs to be replaced or fixed but I just want to make sure the car is still ok to drive for the time being until the sensor gets replaced...hopefully soon.
What were your symptoms for the faulty TPS? It would be good for others to know just in case.
Old 09-23-14, 05:48 PM
Dylroberts
Rookie

It almost acts like an ECU leak problem where there is hesitation and the car doesnt shift smoothly (especially when the engine isnt warmed up yet). A lot of the time when I'm on the freeway it is hard to accelerate fast and with a V8 engine I expect it to respond quite rapidly...but it doesnt. When I took it to the mechanic and asked if it was an ECU issue he said no its just a faulty TPS Sensor.
Old 09-23-14, 05:54 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus has extended the warranty on several items on most Lexus vehicles from 1998+ This includes the TPS, the Accel sensor, brake switch, ECU and a few other parts I can't think of off the top of my head. I'm going to try to find the bulletin that extends this.
Old 09-23-14, 06:07 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Found it. Here is the letter that Lexus sent most owners.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fg3zctk63...110-D.pdf?dl=0

It covers all vehicles for UNLIMITED miles until 08/2016, then for 10 years/150,000 miles after that.
Old 09-24-14, 12:27 AM
Dylroberts
Rookie

So if I take the car to my dealer...they will fix this under warranty?
Old 09-24-14, 07:27 AM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dylroberts
So if I take the car to my dealer...they will fix this under warranty?

take it to your lexus dealer, they will replace the throttle body under the
http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ

. Customer Support Program

Since the Court has finally approved the settlement, for Class Members who still possess their Subject Vehicles, Toyota is implementing a Customer Support Program that will stand by the reliability of the vehicles by providing provide prospective coverage for repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship in certain parts associated with the vehicle’s operation at no cost to the owner or lessee if any of those parts fail, break, or malfunction. The Customer Support Program will last for ten (10) years after the expiration of any existing warranty for each of the covered parts, subject to a maximum limit of 150,000 miles, except that each eligible vehicle will receive no less than three (3) years of coverage from the date of final settlement approval (regardless of when the underlying warranty expires and your vehicle’s mileage), if the Court finally approves the settlement. The covered parts are the: (i) engine control module; (ii) cruise control switch; (iii) accelerator pedal assembly; (iv) stop lamp switch; and (v) throttle body assembly. The Customer Support Program is transferable with the Subject Vehicle. Inoperable vehicles and vehicles with a salvaged, rebuilt or flood-damaged title are not eligible for the Customer Support Program.

If you are a Class Member who is eligible for the Customer Support Program, you need not take any action in order to be eligible to participate in the Customer Support Program. If a covered part fails, breaks, or malfunctions due to a defect in materials or workmanship from the date of final approval through the end of the Customer Service Program, you should take your vehicle to a Toyota/Lexus/Scion authorized dealer for repair or adjustment under the Customer Support Program.

had mine done 2 months ago
Old 09-24-14, 01:30 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by gooshster
take it to your lexus dealer, they will replace the throttle body under the
http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ

. Customer Support Program

Since the Court has finally approved the settlement, for Class Members who still possess their Subject Vehicles, Toyota is implementing a Customer Support Program that will stand by the reliability of the vehicles by providing provide prospective coverage for repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship in certain parts associated with the vehicle’s operation at no cost to the owner or lessee if any of those parts fail, break, or malfunction. The Customer Support Program will last for ten (10) years after the expiration of any existing warranty for each of the covered parts, subject to a maximum limit of 150,000 miles, except that each eligible vehicle will receive no less than three (3) years of coverage from the date of final settlement approval (regardless of when the underlying warranty expires and your vehicle’s mileage), if the Court finally approves the settlement. The covered parts are the: (i) engine control module; (ii) cruise control switch; (iii) accelerator pedal assembly; (iv) stop lamp switch; and (v) throttle body assembly. The Customer Support Program is transferable with the Subject Vehicle. Inoperable vehicles and vehicles with a salvaged, rebuilt or flood-damaged title are not eligible for the Customer Support Program.

If you are a Class Member who is eligible for the Customer Support Program, you need not take any action in order to be eligible to participate in the Customer Support Program. If a covered part fails, breaks, or malfunctions due to a defect in materials or workmanship from the date of final approval through the end of the Customer Service Program, you should take your vehicle to a Toyota/Lexus/Scion authorized dealer for repair or adjustment under the Customer Support Program.

had mine done 2 months ago
What did they replace and why?