LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 won't start due to theft control starter kill?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 08:49 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 won't start due to theft control starter kill?

Can anyone post the offical process for disabling the starter kill? I left my lights on and let my battery die, pulled battery and put on the charger but I think i may have inadvertently activated the starter kill.

I have tried cycling the key in the driver door lock multiple times to no avail. Battery is fully charged, and I also tried to jump to no avail.

You turn the key and nothing happens. I had the issue one random time before but it fixed itself and I am now at a loss.. Any ideas?
Old 09-17-14, 11:01 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

there is ROM card in the trunk area that pairs your keys for wireless entry, though i have a hard time thinking a simple battery change would alter the anti-theft feature. the key should still be paired to the receiver.

try this, wiggle your shifter or cycle it from park all the way to low then back to park. the neutral safety switch might be sticky. try to start it after, or try to crank in neutral.
Old 09-17-14, 11:55 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
there is ROM card in the trunk area that pairs your keys for wireless entry, though i have a hard time thinking a simple battery change would alter the anti-theft feature. the key should still be paired to the receiver.

try this, wiggle your shifter or cycle it from park all the way to low then back to park. the neutral safety switch might be sticky. try to start it after, or try to crank in neutral.
I dont have the keyfobs with the remote. I have a valet key and a master key that I had a lexus dealer cut. I locked the doors and such after removing the battery and wondering if that may be part of the issue. There is no crank, nor am i concerned about the rom card in the trunk and I know that must match the transponder but I do not have a keyfob at all.

I know this is some starter kill via the antitheft. No clicks, nothing.
Old 09-17-14, 12:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Check all the fuses and make sure the battery cables are not showing signs of corrosion. If so clean them up. Is there any conformation when putting the key in and turning it to the <ON> position? Lights on the dash, etc.
Old 09-17-14, 12:18 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

yeah with the doors locked prior to removing the battery, the car's security system may still be engaged. try to unlock the doors, then pull the neg terminal off the battery to reset.
Old 09-18-14, 03:19 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
yeah with the doors locked prior to removing the battery, the car's security system may still be engaged. try to unlock the doors, then pull the neg terminal off the battery to reset.
Have tried all of this and still no go. Thank you all for your replies however! The dash lights and windows all work. I tried grounding out the alarm to see if that helped and nope. I can get it to start by following

This from:
Bypass Starter Circuit:
There are many reasons why the engine won't turn. It is possible the circuitry might be faulty. However, you can test your starter without taking it out. You can bypass the circuitry and use a positive (+) into the fuse box. Here are the procedures:

1. Open up the fuse box with a flat screwdriver. The fuse box is located near the battery.
2. Use a 10 mm socket and loose the fuse/relay module.
3. From there you need to use the same 10 mm socket and loose the plug.
3. Once the plug is out, look for a large black wire right under the Green Relay (Starter Relay) See starter diagram below.
4. Supply the black wire with a power source. Please be careful do not touch this hot wire to anywhere else.

http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html

So I'm wondering if the anti-theft ecu is bad or what? It just doesn't make much sense.
Old 09-18-14, 08:08 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

May be the neutral safety switch. Have you tried putting the gear selector in <N> and starting?
Old 09-18-14, 08:25 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
May be the neutral safety switch. Have you tried putting the gear selector in <N> and starting?
I have, no luck there either.. It's got to be the theft control ECU under the drivers foot well. I dont know what else..
Old 09-20-14, 05:39 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by technol
I have, no luck there either.. It's got to be the theft control ECU under the drivers foot well. I dont know what else..
No luck with fuses, I can bypass the starter circuit and it starts. I ordered a new theft control ECU on ebay and it will be here tuesday. Starter relay clicks... Anyone have a clue?
Old 09-20-14, 02:18 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Although the relay clicked, it was the starter relay. I switched it with the fuel pump and it cranks, then got a new starter relay and the problem is resolved. Don't always trust the click.. HA! Thanks CL.