LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

must share - small fuel filter makes big difference

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 08:20 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default must share - small fuel filter makes big difference

my ls400 90 had long been having unstable idle and slow start-up (no matter engine is cold or hot)

I did a lot of guess work like replacing spark plugs, air hoses, temp sensor, ECU... didnt work.

last week I realized that I did not change fuel filter for 8 years or so so I decided to get it replaced. and what a difference! idle is now so smooth, easy start-up in split second, and the car runs a lot more powerful.

small thing makes big difference. a must share.
Old 09-02-14, 09:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad this made the difference. Gas without particulates is

If you have the filter and don't mind, cut it open so we can see what the filter trapped.
Old 09-03-14, 02:16 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
Glad this made the difference. Gas without particulates is

If you have the filter and don't mind, cut it open so we can see what the filter trapped.
thats a good idea but I didnt pick it. i may be thrown away

however, I am thinking how we can safely cut the filter, its highly flamable
Old 09-03-14, 08:48 AM
parker1825
Driver School Candidate

Where is this filter located? I haven't been able to find mine yet.
Old 09-03-14, 09:43 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

drivers side back by the rear wheel on rail
Old 09-03-14, 10:17 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I just changed mine a couple weeks ago. Might be original plan to cut it open.
Old 09-03-14, 10:24 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been planning to change mine but then read that they hardly get clogged up on the LS. However I already bought the part. And replacement doesn't seem to difficult. So long as I disconnect the pump fuse. Maybe in the near future
Old 09-03-14, 12:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

There are various non-powered hand tools but for sake of this, just toss it. We don't want any unintentional fires or injuries as a result of inspecting the filter elements.

Stateside gas is low in terms of free floating particulates. The station storage tanks may have some level of contamination but largely well maintained stations we don't have to worry. My mechanic has cut open filters at 100-300K miles and relayed he's not seen filter contamination. When I hit the change interval he just told me don't even waste my $ or the service. Other countries may have "dirtier" gas so changing the fuel filter is necessary.
Old 09-03-14, 07:27 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
There are various non-powered hand tools but for sake of this, just toss it. We don't want any unintentional fires or injuries as a result of inspecting the filter elements.

Stateside gas is low in terms of free floating particulates. The station storage tanks may have some level of contamination but largely well maintained stations we don't have to worry. My mechanic has cut open filters at 100-300K miles and relayed he's not seen filter contamination. When I hit the change interval he just told me don't even waste my $ or the service. Other countries may have "dirtier" gas so changing the fuel filter is necessary.
I believe gas is not only dirty but not at advertised grade as well. you are right.

many stations were investigated and found at least 10% cheat. you pay 100 liters you get 90.
Old 09-03-14, 07:37 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RugbyDad
I've been planning to change mine but then read that they hardly get clogged up on the LS. However I already bought the part. And replacement doesn't seem to difficult. So long as I disconnect the pump fuse. Maybe in the near future
please think twice before doing it. I had mine replaced, it was a very dangerous job.

to access the filter you would need to work from below, when filter removed, gas will keep flowing down until a new one sits in properly. be prepared for your hands, face, eyes, arms to get wet with gas. and this is extremely dangerous. I would recommend you leave this job to the professional mechanic.

1 more thing, if you have removed the filter and change your mind, your car is already out of service. you cant drive it to workshop anymore.

think twice

Last edited by qha_vn; 09-03-14 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 02:02 PM
msweber97
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe its just me but saying to not change a filter sounds crazy, these things arent built to last forever after time they break down and im sure they slow down the flow of gas and any contaminants in gas get trapped in the filter. Changing a fuel filter can be messy but unless you dont know what you are doing then your fine to change it. Just like any other fluid take what precautions are necessary so you dont end up with an eye or mouth full!!!!
Old 11-23-15, 01:12 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's an interesting video on fuel filters. It might convince you to change yours.

Old 11-23-15, 06:05 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

meaningful video. thank you for posting it here
Old 11-23-15, 07:39 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Fuel Filter

I have an OEM filter I bought couple years ago, never got around to change it... Good trick to pull the fuse to release pressure.
On a 99LS, is the filter behind driver side rear wheel?

Val
Old 11-24-15, 02:52 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you don't want the mess, you can break the syphon from the tank, but that would be difficult. I wonder about applying a slight vacuum to the tank to keep the gas from flowing out, You couldn't apply much it could collapse the tank, and the only thing you would want to use is one of those air powered venturi type vacuum pumps, nothing electric.

Quick Reply: must share - small fuel filter makes big difference