LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front Parking Light and High Mount Stop Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 07:49 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Parking Light and High Mount Stop Lamp

All,

How can I take them off so the bulbs can be replaced ?

For the parking light, I unscrewed the one tab right on top of the headlight but the housing refused to undo. Did I miss another screw or did I not pull strong enough ?

I need directions as how to take the high mount stop lamp off. I pulled/lifted it with my fingers to no avail.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-03, 07:58 AM
tenpointed
Banned

I'm not sure about the parking light because I've never had to change one. As far as the high brake light, try sliding it with a little force left or right. Then you should be able to lift it right out. Disconnect the plug then you can take the unit apart pretty easily to get to the burned bulb. The whole job shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
Old 02-26-03, 10:34 AM
brian3268
Lead Lap

Abcedefghij

Last edited by brian3268; 08-28-21 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 11:02 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Thanks guys. I'll try the method.

Yes, it's a second gen ('95). It's the high mount stop lamp that's quite difficult.
Old 02-26-03, 12:27 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1-For the rear deck stop light you have to use a flat head screwdriver to push two clips towards the back of the car to pop off the plastic housing. Place the screwdriver under the plastic housing till you locate the two plastic clip type prongs, you have to feel around for them with the screwdriver but you will locate them. These plastic clips do not face the doors/side of the car.....they face the rear seat/cabin. Then gently push them with the screwdriver towards the trunk and the housing will pop up and off. Takes 5 minutes to change. I think the bulb # is 7443

Be careful not to break the plastic clips that hold the plastic housing down.

2-On the side maker, once you undue the screw you have to wedge a flat head screwdriver wrapped in a towel so you don't damage the light or fender between the light housing and fender and gently pop out the housing. There are two or three plastic clips that also hold it in place so it takes some fiddling but it will eventually pop out.

Be careful not to break the clips and be patient because it is a pain since it's a tight fit.

Good luck, hope you understood my explanation of both and let me know how you make out.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-26-03 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-27-03, 08:28 PM
1994 LS400
Driver

Hey~
My rear high mount tail light went out for a day casusing the sensor to activate, but then went off, as the light began working again.

Knowing the light it due to fail soon , I wonder if putting a pair of LED's in the high mount would work nice. SO has anyone installed LED's in the high mount ??

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-28-03, 05:27 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default LED bulbs

Paul,

Not recommended, unless you want to see that lamp-out indicator turned on again or you are willing to install load simulator(s).

I was thinking about doing this, the reason is safety. LED bulbs react much quicker than incandescent bulbs, plus the bonus of very, very long life (they most likely will outlast your car). Then I realized that my '95 has so much sensors/control units that the LED might flag lamp-out indicator. So, I dug up wiring harness diagrams and sure enough, the high mount stop lamp is connected to it (strangely enough, the side markers and the parking lights are not connected, I have LED bulbs in the sidemarkers to prove this ).

Now, the load simulators will definitely eliminate this, but I'm not sure if the lamp-out control unit can detect the tiny current that LED bulbs use (10-15mA or so). So, if you want to try putting the LED bulbs in there and try. If the indicator is lit, just install load simulators. To find these, go to http://www.jamstrait.com or try http://www.directauto.com (they sell Jamstrait LED bulbs and simulators too if I'm not mistaken). Or if you have Autozone (dunno about other auto part stores), they carry some Jamstrait products. Just make sure you bring in an example bulb so you can match it.

One more thing, LED bulbs tend to be a little dimmer compared to incandescent bulbs, but in high mount stop lamp application in which there is not much space, these should be bright enough. If you decided to try, let us know the results