LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

aftermarket stereo and factory sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-14, 03:06 PM
msweber97
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket stereo and factory sub

ive seen many posts about keeping the factory sub with an aftermarket head unit and seen a lot saying its not possible. Seen one forum where a guy said to use the pink and blue wires on the third harness of the factory wires to make it work and of course it didnt. Has anyone gotten this to work?
Old 08-23-14, 04:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you search you'll see that it only works with an aftermarket amp for the sub.

otherwise you need to pony up for a beatsonic harness.
Old 08-23-14, 05:45 PM
msweber97
Driver

May have to get my future bro in law to look into this if they are using the factory wiring for this to work then there has to be a way without spending that much money to get it to work
Old 08-23-14, 06:54 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by msweber97
ive seen many posts about keeping the factory sub with an aftermarket head unit and seen a lot saying its not possible. Seen one forum where a guy said to use the pink and blue wires on the third harness of the factory wires to make it work and of course it didnt. Has anyone gotten this to work?
It is possible but it takes the wiring diagram, a knowledgeable service tech and some luck. There are some threads where people have reported it working. Use the search function to find them and to research their particular methods.
Old 08-23-14, 07:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

a wiring diagram will not help you.

someone with an EE degree, oscilliscope, breakout box, and programming experience, just might.
Old 08-23-14, 07:59 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
a wiring diagram will not help you.

someone with an EE degree, oscilliscope, breakout box, and programming experience, just might.
Any programming is not needed but you have to be capable to design circuits some.
Old 08-23-14, 08:22 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it works.

I have a 93 LS400 and I installed a Pioneer AVT-X2600BT in my dash. One of the things I did extensive research on beforehand was seeing about installing it so as to use the factory sub. My friend who is a sound engineer helped me with the install (I could have done it myself but like the company) and we tackled the whole install in a little less than 4 hours.

The sub harness is the third harness that doesn't plug into the prebuilt easy wiring harnesses you can purchase. It also has some wiring built in for the cell phone if that was an option that you had.

The trick is to grab an old RCA cable and slice it open and separate your negative and positive wires so that you can either solder or do crimp ends on them (we did crimp ends). And then you hook those up to the factory sub wires by just cutting them from the harness. You can also get the crimp t connectors if you prefer to leave the original harness in tact. Now of course this will only give you mono, but it will work marvelously. I have it working perfectly with no problems.

I can't find the diagram for the life of me right now, but if you are looking at the end of the wire harness it is the two left wires top and bottom I believe. I can try and grab some pics when I'm in there next, which should be about a month from now.
Old 08-23-14, 08:30 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...market-hu.html

The pic in this looks just like what I did. Try that. Even though it is a different model works exactly the same.
Old 08-23-14, 09:22 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The real question is why you would want to keep the factory subwoofer? You can get much better results with an aftermarket subwoofer.
Old 08-23-14, 09:56 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lev00221
The real question is why you would want to keep the factory subwoofer? You can get much better results with an aftermarket subwoofer.
Aftermarket Sub = $150 - $XK

Factory Sub = Free

All depends on your budget and tastes. I would much prefer to have an aftermarket sub, but didn't want to pay for one right now.
Old 08-24-14, 08:06 AM
msweber97
Driver

the factory sub was just enough having small kids in the car im past the rattling the car apart even though i do enjoy a loud *** system but with kids right now a free factory sub with a little extra bass is good enough, the harness i had to use since it was the nakamichi premium system was the one with the power and ground wires to splice into new radio harness and the rca's plugged into the back of the new radio easy install really
Old 08-24-14, 09:23 AM
msweber97
Driver

the one on the left was the only harness used during install
Old 08-24-14, 10:35 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

the factory sub was just enough having small kids in the car im past the rattling the car apart even though i do enjoy a loud *** system but with kids right now a free factory sub with a little extra bass is good enough, the harness i had to use since it was the nakamichi premium system was the one with the power and ground wires to splice into new radio harness and the rca's plugged into the back of the new radio easy install really
Do you want to elaborate on exactly what you did and parts used to get everything working properly? A step by step isn't necessary, but at least a part number for wiring harness and method for making everything work.
Old 08-24-14, 08:34 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

I have after market HU (receiver) and stock sub
Old 08-25-14, 09:26 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Any programming is not needed but you have to be capable to design circuits some.
Why? The information on this issue is contradictory and confusing. What is it about the factory amp that makes it so problematical to use with an aftermarket head unit? And what is inside the Beatsonic unit that makes it possible?

Quick Reply: aftermarket stereo and factory sub