LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

This is the malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-03, 05:01 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy This is the malfunction

Here is the piece I was talking about yesterday. It is the little switch that lets the car know if the door is open or not and controls all the interior lights as well as all the illuminations around the key hole and seat belts. Also the light in the dash that tells you the door is open.

Now, this switch is working 50/50. If I tap it slightly with my finger all the lights go on or off at random. Door open or not. So it is killing my battery when I close the door but the switch doesn't let the car know and all the interior lights ect... stay on.

Wierd thing is it is happening on both front doors, but not the back. So now I wonder is it this switch or something else since both are doing it???

I took the bolt off and pulled the switch out and sanded down the ground since it was a little dirty but that didn't help.

Anyone had this problem or even know what this switch is called so I can tell the dealership? Or is it evenn possible it is not the switch at all and something else, since both doors are doing. Just strange they would both go out?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails This is the malfunction-door.jpg  
Old 02-24-03, 07:47 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same provlem with my car right now. i think it's only the drivers door though. my switch sometimes sticks and when i open the door the interior lights won't come on but i've never had a problem with them coming on while the door was still closed!!
Old 02-24-03, 07:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

it's a pinswitch, and a very simple fix. should take less than 3 minutes to change.
Old 02-24-03, 08:14 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

That is what I thought but when we took out the bolt that holds it in, the wires were sautered to the switch. And the wires ran through a hole into the door. No way to disconnect them from the switch to replace the switch? That normal? How can you replace the switch? Cut the wires and sauter on the new switch?

Last edited by spxChrome; 02-24-03 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 02:59 PM
Supra94Red
Driver School Candidate

I've got the same problem with my passenger side door
and back right door. At least mine goes off when I shut
the door, I have to tap the switch to get the lights to
turn on and it's annoying.
Old 02-26-03, 06:26 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Spx,

I just can't get through to you. It's the door lock actuator!!!! The part that latches your driver door shut. It is a somewhat common problem with your car. Give your dealer a run-down of your problems & tell him what you've already done, & they will probably conclude that it's the DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR that needs to be replaced. There is probably even an updated part for it.
Old 02-26-03, 07:07 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They have a set on e-bay for cheap. Search under LS400.
Old 02-26-03, 07:38 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Yes, I saw those. Going to the Lex shop tommorow to get timing belt, water pump, power steering pump replace. They should have some for me then, if not I will watch that auction.

Just checked them tonight and they are all gone bad. I just hope it is not something else. It is just so odd to have all 4 door pinswitches go out?!?!
Old 02-27-03, 10:04 AM
pscmj
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Had this same problem on my 1994, driver's side. I replaced the switch ($17.00 from Lexus dealer) and the problem went away. All I did was go to the parts counter and ask for the "dome light" switch, and they knew exactly what I was talking about.

The hard part was removal of the old switch, and installation of the new. The bottom portion of the inside doorpost panel had to be removed (it simply snaps into place), along with the seat-belt height-adjustment motor, which is easily assessable once the panel is removed (just a couple screws hold it in). After that, the switch connector can be accessed. In total, I spent about 1/2 hour, start to finish. Really wasn't that bad a job.

I was amazed at how much detail Lexus puts into these cars once I got the panel removed, but at the same time I was a little disappointed (actually mad) that they didn't design the switch to be unplugged on the switch itself. Anyway, if you take your time and are very careful with the panel clips, everything goes back together very nicely.
Old 02-27-03, 11:09 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Thanks that is very helpfull. I was wondering how they were replaced. So that plastic piece over the seat belt is what needs to be removed. And you say it is just a couple of plastic connectors that hold it on? Should I start pulling from the side, top or bottom? Remember how many there are?
Old 02-27-03, 11:57 AM
pscmj
Driver School Candidate

spxChrome,

On my ’94, there are actually two plastic pieces covering the inside of the door post. The top of the bottom piece slides in under the bottom portion of the top piece. I only removed the bottom section. I can’t remember for sure if I started pulling from the bottom, or the side closest the front door, but I think it was the side. As I recall, I just worked my fingers in between the plastic and the weather strip about mid-way up the bottom piece, and pulled toward the middle of the car (I had moved the driver’s seat as far forward as possible). Once the clips began to release, I just worked my way around, I think in a clockwise direction. In all, there were approximately 3 clips on each side, and maybe 2 on the bottom. (?) … I did this about six months ago, so I can’t remember exactly. Anyway, hopefully you get the general idea. Once that first clip releases, the rest are pretty easy (This was the only part of the job where I was actually a little nervous).

Also, in my earlier post I mentioned removing the seat-belt height-adjustment motor. After I thought about it a little more, I’m not 100% sure it was the motor. However, I do know there was something blocking access to the connector that had to be moved (not removed). I removed the bolts holing it in place and moved it just enough to gain access to the connector. Once I had removed the old switch, and plugged in the new one, I moved this “item” back in position and re-installed the bolts.
Old 03-02-03, 08:58 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and also a new Lexus owner. I have exactly the same problem as spxchrome does, the bad part is definitely the dome light switch which he posted a pic of. I have looked all over the web in order to try to figure out why my factory alarm kept going off randomly, this thread has completely explained it. Thanks so much everyone! I just wanted to let you guys know that I also have the same problem. I'm going to call my local lex dealer tomorrow and try to get the parts I need, although even if I do, here in MN @ 20 degrees it's hard to work on my car!

The only question I have now is to pscmj: did it cost you $17 per switch or for both front switches? I assume you meant 17 per switch, I just don't want to get ripped off at the dealer tomorrow. Thanks
Old 03-03-03, 05:30 AM
pscmj
Driver School Candidate

Earl!,

Welcome to Club Lexus!!! I am a new member myself and have found a lot of valuable information here over the past several months. Anyway, the switch I replaced on my ’94 is the exact switch that spxChrome has circled in his original post. This is a one piece assembly held on by 2 small bolts (or screws) which are accessed by simply “peeling back” the rubber cover over the top and bottom portion of the switch (note: the rubber cover is not entirely removed). The connecting wires are about 12-18” long and are accessed on the other end as I described in my earlier posts. Again, the cost of this SINGLE switch assembly was $17.00 from my local Lexus dealer.
Old 03-04-03, 04:19 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Well, this problem is fixed now. Just got through putting in both front door switches and everything is running smooth. Anybody need help on this just LMK. I be glad to help since I have done it now. Will work on the back doors next week
Old 03-04-03, 07:31 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey man,

So how long did it take to replace both front door switches spx, just wondering? Since it's simply a matter of taking of some trim off and swapping out the switch I'm going to guess about an hour for both.

I went to my local dealer today and was able to pick up one switch ($29.58 in MN), they call it a "courtesy switch," the other is on order. If it's not too cold out I'm going to try and install the one switch I do have tomorrow. Does anyone want me to take pics of the install? Since this little switch seems to be a fairly common problem in early the LSs I may do a tutorial if I get some spare time. I have found sooooo much valuable info on this forum I want to contribute as much as possible!
Earl!

Here's a pic of the part w/part #:

Quick Reply: This is the malfunction