LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

please help--worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 07:17 AM
lexlove93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help--worth it?

I'm going to be turning in my 2014 lease and am trying to find a cheap reliable commuter. I found a 94 ls400 with 79,000 miles. 2 owner car... some service records but not many. The car is pretty clean. Dark green on tan interior. Asking price is 9800.. I think that is way too high but offered $6000. What do you think? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lexlove93; 04-03-15 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-29-14, 01:52 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first, don't let appearances fool you. Looks clean isn't the same as clean. OK, now on to its worthiness. $9800? NO. Maybe 7 at the most, 7500 if they really don't wanna go any lower. 6 is a great offer and I've seen better sell for less. Have they done the 90k service yet? If not, thats a huge bargaining chip. Service and parts, you're looking @ ~1500. What about the condition of the usual wear and tear items (struts, shocks, brakes, tires, etc)? What's the condition of the fluids? ALL the fluids (especially PS and tranny) save for the rear differential since that one is not easy to check. Reason to check PS fluid is if it looks bad, they probably haven't kept up with changing it out and the seals may be ready to leak.... all over your alternator. Don't know the exact amount on that replacement with labor but have read it's a pretty penny.

I'm also not aware of the usual breakdown items on the 1st gens but I'm sure some one else can chime in on that. Since there aren't many service records available, a good alternative would be to ask the seller to let the car get PPI'd at a Lexus dealer or really any superb mechanic. Browse the forums, do searches, there is an incredible wealth of knowledge here that can provide you with even more bargaining chips.

If everything checks out, then haggle and buy. If they really don't wanna sell for what you're willing to pay for, find another one (there are more out there, trust me). These are great cars provided that regular maintenance is performed and will last several hundred thousand miles easily if taken care of.

Oh and one last thing. If you do end up passing on this car, read this: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html
It ought to help you find the exact year/gen LS you want.

One last last thing. Welcome to CL.
Old 07-29-14, 02:24 PM
lexlove93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RugbyDad
Well first, don't let appearances fool you. Looks clean isn't the same as clean. OK, now on to its worthiness. $9800? NO. Maybe 7 at the most, 7500 if they really don't wanna go any lower. 6 is a great offer and I've seen better sell for less. Have they done the 90k service yet? If not, thats a huge bargaining chip. Service and parts, you're looking @ ~1500. What about the condition of the usual wear and tear items (struts, shocks, brakes, tires, etc)? What's the condition of the fluids? ALL the fluids (especially PS and tranny) save for the rear differential since that one is not easy to check. Reason to check PS fluid is if it looks bad, they probably haven't kept up with changing it out and the seals may be ready to leak.... all over your alternator. Don't know the exact amount on that replacement with labor but have read it's a pretty penny.

I'm also not aware of the usual breakdown items on the 1st gens but I'm sure some one else can chime in on that. Since there aren't many service records available, a good alternative would be to ask the seller to let the car get PPI'd at a Lexus dealer or really any superb mechanic. Browse the forums, do searches, there is an incredible wealth of knowledge here that can provide you with even more bargaining chips.

If everything checks out, then haggle and buy. If they really don't wanna sell for what you're willing to pay for, find another one (there are more out there, trust me). These are great cars provided that regular maintenance is performed and will last several hundred thousand miles easily if taken care of.

Oh and one last thing. If you do end up passing on this car, read this: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html
It ought to help you find the exact year/gen LS you want.

One last last thing. Welcome to CL.
Thank you. I haven't heard back from them yet so I assume they aren't interested. I plan to take it to AAA for a ppi. The car is about 2 hours away so I'm trying to see if it's worth the drive or if they're stuck on the price. Thanks again for your comments!
Old 07-29-14, 04:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

so much better off looking for and buying a well maintained '98-00 for that kind of money.. especially coming from a "modern" car.
Old 07-29-14, 05:10 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

$9800 asking for a 1st gen car is an immediate red flag to me telling me something is fishy. is this a private dealership? stay away!

a pristine one owner 1st gen with low miles is about $6k so your offer is fair if everything truly is in order, which is highly unlikely i would bet. $6k you are in the 2nd gen territory which is far superior to the previous gen, shown in the link posted by rugbydad.
Old 07-29-14, 05:42 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

That is too much for that car. Keep looking.
Old 07-29-14, 06:04 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Too much... and second PD... once you've driven the 98+ models you won't want to downgrade... they are just that much better and less issues, can have less miles and better basic features.