LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

OMG!~! My exhaust is TOOOOO LOUD!

Old 02-21-03, 06:38 PM
Lvangundy

Default OMG!~! My exhaust is TOOOOO LOUD!

LOL OMG!!

It's so loud everythign in the car vibrates and you can't even hear your self think!!!

I took it to the shop to have the center resonator put back in and I told them to just leave it open after the cats and the centor resonator!!

JEEZ!!

I did the 0-60 and got a 8.02!!! I think my rear mufflers were clogged and reduced performance!

I drove by some integra guys (racers) and they couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from! They were all confused looking around.

Here's a picture..I don't know how long I can deal with it..it's REALLLLLY loud!
Attached Thumbnails OMG!~! My exhaust is TOOOOO LOUD!-exh.jpg  

Last edited by Lvangundy; 02-21-03 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 07:00 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hehe, I had a better one, just cats and y-pipe, harley guys were like :eek: when I revved at them.
Old 02-21-03, 07:28 PM
colssanio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a better mod that I've been trying for about a year now. Not only did I take off the whole exhaust pipe, but I also removed the resonator, the y pipe, the cats, EVERYTHING. Man, you should hear that thing now, DINK. Lemme know if you wanna try this and I can hook you up with a diagram too. late
Old 02-21-03, 07:35 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Well,

Lee sat in my car last time we met. My car is too loud in my opinion. I wish i just change the Y pipe instead. My sounds like a big block.
Old 02-22-03, 09:34 AM
Lvangundy

I've got a video clip - but I don't know when I can get it online.

Lextreme - It's MUCH louder than your car..you can't really have a conversation with anyone.I'm really paranoid to drive it because anywhere I drive EVERYONE's heads turn. i had to find the sweet spot on the freeway at a certain RPM so it was slightly quieter as a cop passed me - I got reallly scared. LOL

Anyway I posted as reply because I noticed the RPM's move VERY differently since the exhaust is kind of open now. The move up very fast and drop the same.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 02-22-03 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-22-03, 12:57 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

I got stopped a number of times for my current exhaust sound, and it used to be four times as loud without mufflers. That's why even if I do a turbo setup I'd like it very descreete.
Old 02-22-03, 02:06 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

dood-

Lee's car is MUCH MUCH MUCH louder than Lextreme's car. It's almost in the range of area51's drag SC, but not quite.
I got the video here...just need to host it someplace. i have an idea of how to get it up in the shortest amount of time. will get back to u guys on that.
Old 02-22-03, 03:53 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Lvan,

If you don't like the sound, why don't you just have some new mufflers added? Or maybe just put your old mufflers back on. FYI, the 0-60 times on the 90-92 LS was in the 8.8 second range, when new of course. I'm guessing your better times were due to back pressure being reduced by removing the mufflers. If you keep the mufflers off for an extended period of time, you will begin having problems as your car is intended to have a certain amount of back pressure, which you lack with your current set up.
Old 02-22-03, 05:43 PM
Lvangundy

OK here's pics of the LOUUUUD setup and here's pics of the new setup with a 'blue streak' glasspack after the centor resonator.

Can someone explain why I get a loud whistling sound after 3000 RPM?

It sounds like turbo pressure or something.
Attached Thumbnails OMG!~! My exhaust is TOOOOO LOUD!-loud.jpg  

Last edited by Lvangundy; 02-22-03 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 05:43 PM
Lvangundy

New loud, but quiet setup
Attached Thumbnails OMG!~! My exhaust is TOOOOO LOUD!-new.jpg  
Old 02-22-03, 05:56 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like you might get that whistling sound because of the closeness of the gap between the blue steel glasspack and the Y piping.
Old 02-22-03, 06:07 PM
Lvangundy

That's what I thought..I was about to take it back and see if they could cut a little more of that back pipe but oh well. I can deal with it..it's a cool sound.
Old 02-22-03, 06:15 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Why would you leave the pipe disconnected at all? Hit a good bump or bottom out and you may lose most of your exhaust system. Not to mention that exhaust fumes can work their way into your car. I'd connect the system back to stock and put the glass packs where the mufflers were if I were you. You'll get an even better sound without having to worry about the fumes & your performance shouldn't be less than what you have now.
Old 02-22-03, 06:48 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are the clips I wanna here!
Old 02-22-03, 07:46 PM
Lvangundy

tenpointed - Thanks for the concern. My plans are to just have a good sound without spending $200 for dynomax mufflers or whatever the case. I'm not too worried about anything else.

Have you spoken to 'jbrady'? You seem like you know alot about cars, as does he.

Celsior - I don't have access to a mic, but mezoom! has some clips I'd like to get soon and post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OMG!~! My exhaust is TOOOOO LOUD!