LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Many Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-03, 01:38 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Many Questions

Currenlty own a 99 ES and had to branch out for the LS so I just bougth a 93 LS 400, 95,000 for $8K. Everything checked out but now I have a few questions.

1. The car has a pin stripe on it which appears to be after market? Did any of the 93 LS have pin stripes?? If so, or not anyone got any good ideas how how to remove these without damaging the paint?

The center caps are starting to chip, any idea where I can get them cheap? They are stock with GOLD L. Lexus wants $225+ and then I have to pay to get them GOLD plated.

The CD Player skips on home made CD's. Is that normal?

How can you tell if you have air ride suspension? I only have the ect power/normal by the gear shift.

Does the 93 come standard with Traction Control?

The tires are bald on the back and new on the front. What tires are recommended? Should I replace all or just the 2 back bald tires?

Power Atenna is broke, can I fix it myself if so where can I get a cheap replacement.

Any help on any of these questions would be great. Really curious about the pin stripe.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.
Old 02-21-03, 06:47 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

- Where's the love!
Old 02-21-03, 07:08 PM
ARODGERS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prohibited Topics and Profanity
The following links and request are prohibited on CLubLexus:
Ebay links to any merchandise being auctioned on Ebay.Instead post up pictures, descriptions, etc… directly in the thread.
Carfax request on any records of a particular VIN
No eBay links please, thanks.

EBAY has someone trying to sell a set of gold plated center caps. Take a look.

Last edited by LS400; 02-21-03 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 07:10 PM
4theboys
Rookie

Oven cleaner will remove the pinstripe.
Old 02-21-03, 07:17 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Wow oven cleaner? Got any instructions? Will it hurt the paint?
Old 02-21-03, 07:36 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Many Questions

Originally posted by spxChrome
Currenlty own a 99 ES and had to branch out for the LS so I just bougth a 93 LS 400, 95,000 for $8K. Everything checked out but now I have a few questions.

1. The car has a pin stripe on it which appears to be after market? Did any of the 93 LS have pin stripes?? If so, or not anyone got any good ideas how how to remove these without damaging the paint?

The center caps are starting to chip, any idea where I can get them cheap? They are stock with GOLD L. Lexus wants $225+ and then I have to pay to get them GOLD plated.

The CD Player skips on home made CD's. Is that normal?

How can you tell if you have air ride suspension? I only have the ect power/normal by the gear shift.

Does the 93 come standard with Traction Control?

The tires are bald on the back and new on the front. What tires are recommended? Should I replace all or just the 2 back bald tires?

Power Atenna is broke, can I fix it myself if so where can I get a cheap replacement.

Any help on any of these questions would be great. Really curious about the pin stripe.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.
I think some of the LS's (depending on color) came with factory pinstripes.

Center caps...you can try a junkyard if you want to get them cheaper.

Burned CDs work fine on my CD player. Did u check for scratches on your CDs? or the quality of the mp3s? Sometimes bad quality mp3s have a skipping sound in the background if you play them in your car. You might also want to try burning the CD at a slower speed...not sure if this will fix the skipping but it's worth a shot.

The air suspension control button should be above the ash tray if your car has it.

If the front tires are new...why change/fix something that's not broken? As for recommendations...I would suggest Michelin tires if you want to get the best ride possible.

Regarding the broken antenna, try doing a search...there are a bunch of threads that can help you out with that.
Old 02-21-03, 08:58 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TC (Traction Control ) was an option.

If your motor works on your power antenna (you would/should hear it) then all you need to do usually is just replace the antenna "MAST".

I would advice against using OVEN CLEANER on your paint to remove the stripe, too harsh of a chemical IMHO. Contains acid and would damage your paint. Try compounding it out with a machine or have a detail shop do it.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-21-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 09:55 PM
rajah996
Driver

Hey, I too recently needed replacment center caps for my
'92 LS. When I called lexus, they wanted around $100
each, including gold plating. Instead I turned to a local
rim shop here (Hubcap Daddy) who sells new/used rims
and tires. Turns out he had over 200 lexus center caps.
I got replacement caps for only $20! See if you can find
one of these shops locally, as that would be the best bet.
Good luck!

-R
Old 02-22-03, 04:19 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Spx,

It sounds like your questions have been pretty well answered. But as for that pinstripe, I'd recommend just leaving it as is. It probably came with the car new. If you have it removed, more than likely the paint under the stripe won't match as the paint has probably done some fading over the years. In that case you'd end up having to repaint the entire car to get it to look right. Way too costly for an older car.