LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lots of front end work, won't hold alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 02:17 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of front end work, won't hold alignment

To date I have replaced springs/ struts from air to non air, lca's, lbj's and 3 different places have taken a pry bar to it and everything looks tight, but the alignment simply will not hold and I keep getting outer edge tire wear. It's beginning to show on my brand new tires. Any thoughts on what to do next? 97 ls w 135k
Old 07-01-14, 02:37 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

highly suggest looking at your tie rods especially the inner ones. a similar member experienced the same issue and found his inner tie rods to be worn.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-tie-rods.html

his original thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tire-wear.html
Old 07-01-14, 02:54 PM
Caniac14
Driver

Don't mean to thread jack, but will signs of needing an alignment usually be feel-able when driving?
I had a horrible wobble I thought was an alignment issue but turned out to be a bad spacer on my old setup.

Since getting new wheels and new tires I feel like I am riding on a cloud again. Smooth as butter. And that's even with my dampening on my coils set 5 clicks below hardest. So I guess my question is would I need an alignment with everything feeling as good as it does now? I feel no pulls to either side(rides perfectly straight with no hands on the hwy) or steering wheel wobble.
The only alignment place close to me charges $89 and I'm not paying that for something that may be just fine. I would pay the $150 lifetime alignment but they said NO AFTERMARKET suspension. I'm like if I only bring it in once or twice a year I'm only doing it just as much as everyone else so why does it matter? They just said, sorry, NO!
Old 07-01-14, 04:30 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Caniac14
Don't mean to thread jack, but will signs of needing an alignment usually be feel-able when driving?
I had a horrible wobble I thought was an alignment issue but turned out to be a bad spacer on my old setup.

Since getting new wheels and new tires I feel like I am riding on a cloud again. Smooth as butter. And that's even with my dampening on my coils set 5 clicks below hardest. So I guess my question is would I need an alignment with everything feeling as good as it does now? I feel no pulls to either side(rides perfectly straight with no hands on the hwy) or steering wheel wobble.
The only alignment place close to me charges $89 and I'm not paying that for something that may be just fine. I would pay the $150 lifetime alignment but they said NO AFTERMARKET suspension. I'm like if I only bring it in once or twice a year I'm only doing it just as much as everyone else so why does it matter? They just said, sorry, NO!
usually you will be able to feel it during driving. however if, for example, your toe is off perfectly between left and right, the car will still continue to drive straight. only when you look at the tire wear will you see a problem with the alignment.

for me the only time i get an alignment is when i mess with the suspension ride height. anything more is just for extra peace of mind. they do recommend you get alignments every so often to compensate for worn bushings, etc but i don't follow that to the T.
Old 07-01-14, 07:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

As timmy0tool mentions and then there are the strut bar bushings. If all that is checking out, the other suspect is front end damage from a prior collision. Outer edge is commonly toe, post up the alignment specs so we have an idea what is happening.
Old 07-01-14, 07:23 PM
Caniac14
Driver

What would inner edge usually identify? (other than camber wear)
Old 07-01-14, 07:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Toe is the culprit in many instances. The slightest bit being off can have drastic consequences when combined with other suspension wear issues. Some of my buddy's have worn the inner edge within 1K miles due to poor alignment specs. Finding a tech that knows how to align is key, not $160 lifetime deals. That's not to say all techs do a sloppy job, I've seen enough though.
A good calibrated alignment table is also important.
Old 07-02-14, 11:19 AM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Check and re-torque all the bolts that hold the underpinning items to the car.