LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help: 2000 LS400 Nak to Aftermarket Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 05:49 AM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help: 2000 LS400 Nak to Aftermarket Conversion

Hello,

First post (I think) and it's a request for help.

I drive a 2000 LS400 (Millennium Edition) with the Nakamichi deck and Amp.
Never mind that the right speakers (front and rear) cut out for long periods of time.
It could be the deck, a short in the speaker wire, the amp, etc.
But I want to start with replacing the deck for other reasons:

The car only has 160,000km and I just replaced the water pump and timing and drive belts so it runs very smoothly and it's time to make it a bit more homely, starting with a modern deck with front usb support.

Here's my issue:

There are no wiring harnesses for the nakamichi setup.
I ordered a deck and mounting kit.
I have the nakamichi wiring setup PDF that I believe user KANSAS posted.

I know I have to connect the car's wires to the harness that comes with the new deck (or it's RCA cables).

1. I want to know what to connect to what.
Do I use RCA cables or the harness cables? Difference?

The deck is a Kenwood KDC-BT858U http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/recei...58u/index.html

2. I don't need my CD Changer, can I remove it?
What can I do with the remaining empty space? Storage?

3. Any other pertinent information I should know? I want it to come out perfect the first time.

Thanks and this is a great forum!

Yours,

Bornking
Old 06-23-14, 06:09 AM
bornking
Pit Crew

just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EuZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-23-14, 06:27 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Kansas actually had a bestbuy installer who was familiar with the system tap into the system to retain the factory amp using some kind of leads but did not have the EXACT details of what he did. If you don't plan to keep the factory amp then you will need to run an aftermarket amp and tap the wiring harness underneath the passenger seat. I removed all of the factory stuff ad bought a nice 5 channel amp and had a shop run all the speakers and woofer through the amp. It sounds real good too. I did not replace any speakers though. The installer did use RCAs. You can remove the CD changer and there is a tutorial on here if you search. I just left mine in place for now.
Old 06-23-14, 06:42 AM
bornking
Pit Crew

Default Thank you

Thank you Sha400.

I want to keep the nakamichi amp for now.
I'm also keeping the speakers stock for the next few years.

I wonder what is the procedure to splice an rca cable to the cables coming from the nak amp to the deck...
Old 06-23-14, 06:46 AM
bornking
Pit Crew

Is there anything I need to know about the anti theft....uh...device? in the car?
Old 06-23-14, 06:51 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

No the replacement head unit won't affect the ant-theft system.
Old 06-23-14, 01:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Kansas actually had a bestbuy installer who was familiar with the system tap into the system to retain the factory amp using some kind of leads but did not have the EXACT details of what he did..
Surely my Best Buy installer isn't the only person on earth who knows how to connect an aftermarket head unit to the OEM connector leading to the Nakamichi amp.

I pulled the new Kenwood head unit out of the dash after the install just enough to reroute the aux-in and USB cables and didn't see any RCA's being used. My Kenwood DDX470 had a large white connector on a cable that included all the pins necessary for the installation except of course the antenna connection. It was a matter of matching the pins on the large white Kenwood connector to the OEM connector leading to the Nakamichi amplifier. The installer wrapped the connections he made with electrical tape and I wasn't about to remove the tape to look at how he did it - I just wanted to enjoy it. The DDX470 was a very nice double DIN unit - I hope the new owner of my 00 LS400 is enjoying it.

I do remember the installer saying that polarity on the speaker connections made a big difference - maybe it doesn't on some systems but it did on the Nak. It apparently worked but he didn't like the sound quality. The installer went back and switched the pins to correct the speaker polarity.

My guess is that whatever resister pins the installer used have to be pretty standard - probably in the Best Buy installer supply kit. There are Best Buy stores in Ontario and I guess you could drop by an ask an installer.

There is an upper glove box insert available to replace the CD changer if you want to pull it out. Sewell Lexus in Texas sells it for US$156.51 if you register with your Club Lexus forum name.

Last edited by Kansas; 06-23-14 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 01:49 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

I have good and bad news.

1. I found an installed that guarantees his/her work who will wire it for $50.
I will bring the diagram and remove the old unit first.
I will also take photos at each step.

2. When removing the vents, there is a clip that apparently the older models don't have...as a result of my wrestling with it, I lost one of the two plastic supports that hold the vent fins in place (tiny piece of plastic with holes in it, slight curve).

Therefore I have had to fabricate one out of cardboard and rubber and am plasti-dipping them now. I cannot find a 2000 LS400 in a junk yard and no one has the part, not even ebay (not even the whole vent assembly).

3. The good news is that both the cardboard and rubber fabrications work (although I cannot move the fins up and down easily), and after they're dry they should suffice until I can get one 3d printed (i know i know).

That's the update.

Pictures later.

Cheers!

Thanks Kansas! I will make sure the polarity matches your diagram.

Bornking
Old 06-23-14, 01:52 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

$156?!?!?!
Wow.
I wonder if I can fabricate one...I am no engineer, but I have watched a lot of how it's made.

So here's my plan, wrap the cd changer in plastic wrap, make a negative mold using some substance, then ....bah never mind. This is the kind of thing sculptors and make up artists for movies do, probably above my head.
Old 06-23-14, 02:26 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

You know what? I think the 95+ models all have the same vent in the center console. Perhaps I can get the part that way. I can see in pics clearly that the 92 models and older the vent is different.

Wish me luck.
Old 06-23-14, 02:29 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

Ok I checked again and they look the same except I don't know the measurements. I have my 2000 model out but can anyone with a '95-'97 model measure one of the two vents in the center console please?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am in a bind.
Old 06-23-14, 02:59 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

Temporary fabrication is working. Looks original but the fins move with more effort. It's thick rubber I cut and shaped to size, then hit with some plastidip.

My family thinks I am a genius, I can see it's still mickey mouse. Would love some measurements.
Old 07-01-14, 07:55 AM
bornking
Pit Crew

Oh no!
I got the deck installed with a nice fascia/mounting kit.
The wiring was done by a shop.
But,

They say the amp sends a DATA signal to turn on the sub...and therefore the sub will not work.
Crutchfield also said the sub won't work.

Is this true?
What can I do?
A small 100W amp just for the sub?
A whole new amp and sub?

I am on limited funds.
The sounds is NOT the same without the sub.

Thank you.
Old 07-01-14, 02:49 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Just get an amp. What is your budget? I bought a nice 5 channel amp from amazon for about $200 and it sounds real good. I don't blast my music though, those days are long gone lol.
Old 07-01-14, 05:10 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by bornking
Oh no!
I got the deck installed with a nice fascia/mounting kit.
The wiring was done by a shop.
But,

They say the amp sends a DATA signal to turn on the sub...and therefore the sub will not work.
Crutchfield also said the sub won't work.

Is this true?
What can I do?
A small 100W amp just for the sub?
A whole new amp and sub?

I am on limited funds.
The sounds is NOT the same without the sub.

Thank you.
I hate to tell you but I suspect your installer was clueless and only knows one way to wire in a head unit. It sounds like he bypassed your Nak amp, used the on-board amp in your new Kenwood head unit and connected the Kenwood head unit wires directly to the speaker wires. If he had hooked your new head unit to your Nak amp correctly, the Nak amp would have taken care of driving your subwoofer just fine.

If you paid only $50 for the install, my opinion is that you got what you paid for.

Quick Reply: Help: 2000 LS400 Nak to Aftermarket Conversion