LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bad Water Pump, or Water Inlet?

Old 07-10-14, 03:13 PM
Doc Yota
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update

Well its been a couple weeks and the leak has slowed to a non concerning occasional drip. I am still keeping a close eye on it but I am starting to think bleeding the system may have helped or possibly a pressure related issue with the water/coolant concentration being incorrect. I have to say when I flushed with water and ran straight water with dye to find the leak the leak was constant and that seems strange to me. In any event I am uneasy with a coolant leak disappearing for no reason. If anyone has a theory about this strange occurrence feel free to post up. Thanks again for your reply's. Every little bit helps.
Old 07-17-14, 10:03 PM
Doc Yota
Driver

Default Final Update

Apparently the disappearance of the leak was just the calm before the storm. Today when I returned home(luckily)I heard an assortment of crunching/clanging noises and coolant just a dripping out at an amazing pace. Water Pump Dead. I may tackle the TB/WP myself god knows I have the tools and I am no stranger to working on cars. Just need to find the tutorial for the 99LS.

NEVER OVERHEATED ONCE...CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???!!!
Old 07-17-14, 10:24 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Yota
Apparently the disappearance of the leak was just the calm before the storm. Today when I returned home(luckily)I heard an assortment of crunching/clanging noises and coolant just a dripping out at an amazing pace. Water Pump Dead. I may tackle the TB/WP myself god knows I have the tools and I am no stranger to working on cars. Just need to find the tutorial for the 99LS.

NEVER OVERHEATED ONCE...CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???!!!
Picture tutorial:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/landar...7622883357340/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/landar...7622886015670/
Old 07-18-14, 07:02 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

the reason it did that is because the red coolant tends to cake up,once it starts a slow leak it can and will dry to a crust(had it happened to me) and if its not bad enough u aren't going to see it until it gets worse. also a water pump failing because of a leak wont cause the car to over heat...the car over heats when theres not enough coolant in the system to do its job. the only way a water pump will cause a car to over heat is if the impeller disintegrates and cant circulate the fluid...or if the belt isnt running it obviously. btw I went through 3 aftermarket pumps before I went to the dealer and purchased one there...save urself the headache and just pony up for the one from the dealer.
Old 07-19-14, 12:31 AM
Doc Yota
Driver

Originally Posted by python
the reason it did that is because the red coolant tends to cake up,once it starts a slow leak it can and will dry to a crust(had it happened to me) and if its not bad enough u aren't going to see it until it gets worse. also a water pump failing because of a leak wont cause the car to over heat...the car over heats when theres not enough coolant in the system to do its job. the only way a water pump will cause a car to over heat is if the impeller disintegrates and cant circulate the fluid...or if the belt isnt running it obviously. btw I went through 3 aftermarket pumps before I went to the dealer and purchased one there...save urself the headache and just pony up for the one from the dealer.
Well Python, I have had this service done on my old 98LS and just recently on my 02 LS430 both at the dealership so I agree with you 100% when it comes to dealer parts for this job. When I bought this 99LS the big selling point was the TB/WP were just replaced and the individual gave me the old parts when I purchased(79,000 miles on the clock at purchase)but I can't be sure if OEM parts were used. As far as the no overheating issue, at least twice while trying to hunt the leak I had to refill a little more than 2 gallons of coolant after driving in this Texas heat with a/c running in stop and go traffic and the temp never moved from the "normal" position. When I initially noticed the leak I had just come off a 200 mile trip from Louisiana and like always I check fluids before and after I get on the road. System was full before I left, but bone dry when I got back to Texas once again stop and go traffic I dealt with in both locations with a/c...still didn't overheat. With no puddle under the car the next morning I could only assume from the rate of leakage that the system was dry for most of the trip back to Texas since I had to replace about 2.5 galloons that morning. I recently changed the coolant temp sensor so I know the gauge works fine. I just thought that was amazing. And thanks for the photos Aptoslexus I appreciate that my friend.....

Last edited by Doc Yota; 07-19-14 at 12:37 AM. Reason: needed to add something