LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need a louder car! [exhaust]

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 07:16 AM
v8MyFusion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Need a louder car! [exhaust]

I just purchased a 1995 Lexus LS 400 ( I know...late to the game). Even though it is a GREAT car (just passed 200,000 miles) it is a bit to quiet for my taste, and in the name of V8 I need this thing louder. What is the easiest/cheapest ( notice I put easiest first) system or way to get this thing a little more aggressive sounding?

Thanks!!
Old 09-20-14, 07:59 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

j brady intake mod. no money necessary, just some cutting of the oem air filter box and removal of the passenger headlight seal.

then muffler delete. do a search for both. you'll get what you want.
Old 09-20-14, 10:41 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, jbrady intake mod and disconnecting the exhaust before the cats and straight piping it is by far the cheapest/easiest way to make it loud! Get some nascar boo pipes and do a side exit exhaust if you want to take it to a whole'nother level! Lol
Old 09-20-14, 11:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it took me to the end of the post to realize you were talking about the exhaust and not thinking about stripping sound deadening out of the car lol. Post title clarified.
Old 09-22-14, 11:23 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
Yup, jbrady intake mod and disconnecting the exhaust before the cats and straight piping it is by far the cheapest/easiest way to make it loud! Get some nascar boo pipes and do a side exit exhaust if you want to take it to a whole'nother level! Lol
i think you meant disconnect the exhaust AFTER the cats?! running straight pipes on these cars really has no benefit, so keep the cats on is my opinion. they are high flow units to begin with (plus it keeps you environmentally responsible ). it will still be plenty loud!

to the OP, search muffler delete or resonator delete on youtube and you can hear different sounds. depending on how loud you want it, you can do one or the other, or both! too much altering will affect performance so be aware of the pros and cons.
Old 09-22-14, 02:38 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my whole exhaust done on mine, stock motor, but it really brought her to life.... Now she is like posessed. Will make the noise raise and the car torques to the right.. and now it torque steers and everything...

But I am curious about this LS400 intake mod.. I searched and only stuff came up for the SC series... Whats the dealio there?
Old 09-22-14, 03:55 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^
amazing!
I haven't heard of anyone doing a FWD conversion with the 1UZ yet! You sir are an innovator to take such a solid RWD platform and convert it to FWD in order to enjoy the wondrously horrible sensation that is torque-steer!

That or you are using the term incorrectly which I assume you are because RWD cars do not torque steer.

Timmy, no i meant before the cats, like right off the manifold. if the OP wants it to be REALLY loud, like waking babies 3 miles away loud, gotta start before the cats! lol

Last edited by Shmee; 09-22-14 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 12:36 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

When it shifts, she pulls to the side. could mean I need to visit my favorite diff shop and get my stuff all welded up. keep my power even.... or could be an excuse to go get a welded diff lol
Old 09-23-14, 01:03 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Oh and for the sake of the whole louder exhaust argument... a small video of mine, potato cell phone video, but sounds good still...

Old 09-23-14, 02:58 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Hack saw or a drill. And then a ticket for loud exhaust.
Old 09-23-14, 12:40 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
But I am curious about this LS400 intake mod.. I searched and only stuff came up for the SC series... Whats the dealio there?
one way...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ram-power.html

or the legendary jbrady intake mod
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...shielding.html

if you have a loud exhaust, you will not be able to hear the intake. it does scream at higher RPMs. you're welcome .
Old 09-24-14, 01:25 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Said loud exhaust is posted above lol I will probably throw down on that intake mod pretty soon. Nothing wrong with free HP!

But for the OP. It all depends on cops in your area... My car is loud as F*** and I drown out motorbikes even, but when the windows are up its a nice purr, and I dont have issues with cops. Not even for the pink headlights in the wifes car.
Old 09-24-14, 09:52 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cgawelko
*snip*...video....
sorry but that sounds terrible.

sounds like a old 90s Camero with flow masters, not a silky-smooth Quad-cam Japanese V8.
Old 09-24-14, 09:58 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Thats what is great. Everyone thinks its swapped with american muscle so they get all hot and bothered about it and then they see the engine and they are like WTF is this ****!? and its like. 30 seconds ago you were trying to put your pecker in the tailpipe.

as a matter of fact. Now im gonna go to the american muscle car show in two weeks revving the **** out of it, and a free t-shirt goes to the guy who can pin the engine it has lol

Last edited by cgawelko; 09-24-14 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-25-14, 02:47 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
sorry but that sounds terrible.

sounds like a old 90s Camero with flow masters, not a silky-smooth Quad-cam Japanese V8.
Hey, easy on the flowmasters Shmee. They were good enough for my '95 Impala SS - they're good enough for my '98 LS-400.

Quick Reply: Need a louder car! [exhaust]