LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My next unnecessary modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 06:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
are those full housings or just covers for the OE housings?
full housings. you have to swap the mirror over etc. the price is reasonable IMO ,
Old 08-02-14, 10:00 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to tell since his photos are only from the top view but they look similar to the ones I got though maybe a bit smaller? My model was an entire housing and I really like them other than they are a bit rounded in shape. Would have preferred if they could have retained the OE shape or made them sleeker somehow.
Old 08-02-14, 02:50 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Hard to tell since his photos are only from the top view but they look similar to the ones I got though maybe a bit smaller? My model was an entire housing and I really like them other than they are a bit rounded in shape. Would have preferred if they could have retained the OE shape or made them sleeker somehow.
Full housings. Nothing is different (I think) from hiroshi's mirror covers except for the design of the turn signal and the addition of a chrome strip. I would take more pictures but they're identical.

Full cost after everything was said and done: $269.
Breakdown: Mirror Cover = $148, OEM Paint match = $65, "Position Light" addition = $28, Shipping = $28.

$204 before paint is a modest price for such a modern touch. Highly recommended.
Old 08-05-14, 01:41 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i wonder if this is the same style you bought.. I looked for some for my GS and the ones i found are actual mirror cover replacements not caps...

Lexus GS300 400 Signal Side Mirror Cover Puddle Light 98 00 SAE Best Gift | eBay

price seems reasonable.. Did you use wire taps for the install into the turn signal? i know nothing about wiring...

thanks
no longer available on ebay
Old 09-21-14, 04:30 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Hey Hiroshi, does your mirror covers have a switchback led for the turn signal? Mine does, so maybe thats what the "position light" is. I hooked it to the running lights so it's always on when the lights are on. Hooked the puddle lights to the footwell so it has that same delay.

Day shot. W/ Flash

Night shot. No flash
Old 09-22-14, 08:55 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Looking good! Not sure what you mean by "switchback LED" though. Btw, where did you get the grille?

Originally Posted by RugbyDad
Hey Hiroshi, does your mirror covers have a switchback led for the turn signal? Mine does, so maybe thats what the "position light" is. I hooked it to the running lights so it's always on when the lights are on. Hooked the puddle lights to the footwell so it has that same delay.

Day shot. W/ Flash

Night shot. No flash
Old 09-22-14, 09:28 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Looking good! Not sure what you mean by "switchback LED" though. Btw, where did you get the grille?
They switch from white to amber when u hit the turn signal. Then when the turn signal goes off the leds switch back to white. You can YouTube it or just think modern audi lights.

And thanks. I followed your diy to the T. Almost lol. I did that grille myself. Took off the oem grill insert. Then pushed the mesh grill into the oem chrome surround. The mesh I bought was ridiculously rigid, so it took me quite some time to do it.
Old 09-23-14, 07:59 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Ok, now I get it. No, you must have an upgraded version than what I got. Mine do not illuminate until the turn signal is activated. So that mesh material is stainless? Where did you find it?

They switch from white to amber when u hit the turn signal. Then when the turn signal goes off the leds switch back to white. You can YouTube it or just think modern audi lights.

And thanks. I followed your diy to the T. Almost lol. I did that grille myself. Took off the oem grill insert. Then pushed the mesh grill into the oem chrome surround. The mesh I bought was ridiculously rigid, so it took me quite some time to do it.
Old 09-23-14, 08:25 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Polished aluminum..
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=380440452449&alt=web
Old 10-03-14, 10:53 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Got the material in yesterday and I will do the mod today or tomorrow - maybe do a thread on this? Any advice before I start? Thanks.
Old 10-03-14, 11:30 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Got the material in yesterday and I will do the mod today or tomorrow - maybe do a thread on this? Any advice before I start? Thanks.
Cut the whole sheet in half lengthwise. Mold it by pressing it into the surround. It will take quite some force to get it to form into the exact shape of the surround. If you mold it well enuff, its own rigidity will keep it in place but I also used the OEM bolt holes for added support. Wear some thick gloves. My thumbs were throbbing by the time I was finished.

When you make your final cut, leave enough material for the bolts on the inside of the surround, even if you dont end up bolting the mesh to the surround. Bend the remaining mesh around the inside rim of the surround either way. Gives it a nice rounded look around the edges and helps with holding it in place.