LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ACV valve vacuum lines - I lost one.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 04:44 PM
Tiagz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACV valve vacuum lines - I lost one.

Just finishing up..

Timing belt - Water pump - Dist cap & Rotors - High & Low pressure press power steering lines

and ACV valve delete in the process (M14 x 1.5 bolt fit perfect.) . - Goal of a LS400 with a leak free power steering system

I pulled the pump out entirely and the vacuum line attachment came with it. the first line goes right by the LEXUS symbol at the front of the engine, where is this second line/nipple to be capped at?

Thanks so much. I've looked visually and am at a loss.
Old 06-08-14, 05:09 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is the one right on the intake arm, correct me if I'm wrong it's been a long time since I have capped it off lol

Last edited by SynicalVip; 06-08-14 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 05:16 PM
Tiagz
Driver School Candidate

right now the portion that includes the air filter and maf aren't located in the car.. does it go to that piece, or further up? If its that piece it makes sense why I can't find it as its been out of the car for the past two weeks lol.
Old 06-08-14, 05:23 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

I'm quite sure it goes to the intake arm itself, think it is near the black rectangle/square like that sit on top of the passenger side valve cover
Old 06-08-14, 07:01 PM
Tiagz
Driver School Candidate

you talking about the arm with the MAF right?

will confirm this with a pic when I find it lol - useful ad to the tutorials.

Also found a better way of flushing the power steering fluid than Starting / stopping the engine which is hard on the starter which is a pain to replace anyways and kind of counter intuitive to fix one problem and contribute to another.

- Air ratchet on the pump pulley with the accessory belt off could use a drill anything that rotates that you can put a socket on.

Last edited by Tiagz; 06-08-14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 10:06 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

It goes all the way up to the plastic piece that is attached to your throttle body. There is a very small, brittle plastic nipple there, and that's where the other one attaches. Mine broke off as soon as I touched it, and its a bit of a pain to repair.

BTW, I don't think that deleting the ACV is a good idea. First of all, the part can be bought for something like 35 bucks new, as it is the same for most toyota and lexus cars (unfortunately, it is not listed as such, but just looking at them, they are all the same). Second, I did notice quite a difference with and without it, so that's another reason why its a bad idea - every time you park, and press the brakes and steer at the same time, steering becomes too hard. Hard enough that my wife noticed and complained immediately, without me ever telling her about it.
Old 06-09-14, 07:31 AM
Caniac14
Driver

Sorry to thread jack, but what is the ACV valve?
Is it that little sensor thing on the side of the power steering pump?
When I replaced my pump I went ahead and bought a new one of those.
Cost me $64 though.
Old 06-09-14, 09:07 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Caniac14
Sorry to thread jack, but what is the ACV valve?
Is it that little sensor thing on the side of the power steering pump?
When I replaced my pump I went ahead and bought a new one of those.
Cost me $64 though.
Yes it should be black with two vaccumm lines going into it
Old 06-09-14, 09:09 AM
peterls
Advanced

it's a small part that screws at the bottom/side of the P/S pump, has two vacuum lines coming out of it, and increases the idle when you are steering while standing (and braking usually) or moving very slowly without touching the gas pedal. Your price sounds about right, although I remember seeing it for less than that.
Old 06-09-14, 11:01 AM
Caniac14
Driver

Originally Posted by peterls
it's a small part that screws at the bottom/side of the P/S pump, has two vacuum lines coming out of it, and increases the idle when you are steering while standing (and braking usually) or moving very slowly without touching the gas pedal. Your price sounds about right, although I remember seeing it for less than that.
Ok yeah that's it. Both my things the lines slip on too had cracks and were leaking so that's why I had to replace mine. Why would people delete something that helps make steering easier at standstill? I freaking love how easy mine turns. Especially since I drove my old toyota matrix around all week last week until I could replace my alternator. As soon as I got back in the lexus today I was like soooooo smoooothhhh.
Old 06-09-14, 07:05 PM
peterls
Advanced

Originally Posted by Caniac14
Why would people delete something that helps make steering easier at standstill? I freaking love how easy mine turns.
Beats me too, especially when you consider that for about 50-60 bucks, you are getting a part that will last another 50-100k miles at least. My LS has 165k and it seems that ACV was never changed before; only had a tiny leak, so I ordered a new one, although the old one still works.