LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Steering damper update

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 09:30 AM
jbelway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering damper update

I read in a previous thread someone wanting to replace thier steering damper but thought 130.00 was too much money. I'm in Ontario Canada and my dealer quoted me 300.00+. I have disconnected my damper to see if it was any good and it was dead, so I spent an hour or so looking for an aftermarket unit or one from another vehicle that would both fit and work on my '93 LS400. As it turns out the damper for a '96 LS450 has the same inside measurement as mine and is about a 1/2" longer in total length [which isn't an issue as long as it isn't shorter] so I order a Monroe part # SC2957 and installed it today. First thing I have to mention is my power steering vacuum valve [mounted on bottom of pump] is broken and has been bypassed [anyone have a spare?] and this assists low speed turning. Secondly before I changed the damper, if I hit a bump at low speeds the steering wheel would want to jump out of my hands. Now for the last part, the new damper is 4 times the outside diameter as the punt OE unit but mounts perfectly [one longer bolt is required]. On my road test Itried to hit as many sewer drains as I could and I didn't feel one of them. I like it very much..... and my price was 47.27. I'm sure you U.s. guys can get it a lot cheaper.
Old 03-18-10, 09:48 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

96 LS450? I am thinking I might need a new one as well I have a 96 LS400 so think this part will fit?
Old 03-18-10, 09:57 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Here is the link to the part for only $28.79 plus shipping.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...ONROE%2BSC2957

Guess I will be picking one up...
Old 03-18-10, 10:31 AM
jbelway
Driver School Candidate

Yep... that's the one. Don't forget to get a longer bolt for the right side.
Old 03-18-10, 03:25 PM
Acidic
Driver

Sweet, thanks for the work! I wonder if I can get it at advance and have them PM it

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPSTERAMS____

yup... guess I'll add it to the list of work this weekend! I love how Advance will PM rockauto

Can you give us details on the nut/bolt that is needed for the right side?

Last edited by Acidic; 03-18-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 10:22 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

excellent. Thanks
Old 03-19-10, 07:50 AM
jbelway
Driver School Candidate

Sure no problem you will need 2 M10x1.25x50 bolts, 2 M10 washers and 1 M10x1.25 nut. Could some here please asnwer a couple of questions? First does anyone have a spare vacuum valve that screws into the bottom of the power steering pump? And secondly how do I get the posts from this group to automatically go to my email? Thanks
I hope to post a picture of my '93 LS400 soon, it has a few performance add ons but I have to say the best thing I ever did for the ride was put the large aftermarket sway bar on the back. I run regular suspension in the winter and change to the lower struts in the summer. I noticed that links regular links are too long and will be searching for a pair that are shorter. I'll post the new part number to the group when I get it.
Jim
Old 03-19-10, 08:32 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

If anyone is ordering this part from rockauto.com or any other parts for that matter here is a code to get a extra 5% off your total order. When checking out put it in the how did you hear about us section to collect your savings...... 27952252310017

jbelway Go into your settings and change your notification settings so you can get a email when someone replies. Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-10, 08:48 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRULUX
jbelway Go into your settings and change your notification settings so you can get a email when someone replies. Hope this helps.
or at the top of this thread right above the first post, click on thread tools, then "subscribe to this thread".
Old 03-19-10, 10:41 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I already ordered it to bad I did not know about the discount code. Oh well still beats 130 bucks
Old 03-22-10, 01:01 PM
Acidic
Driver

I'm going to try to get mine in tomorrow
Old 03-24-10, 03:02 PM
Acidic
Driver

I went to put this on yesterday and there is a little more info here... The mounting holes are WAY bigger than the stock unit so if you use the suggested bolt sizes there is about 1/2 an inch of play on each bolt. The supplied mounting hardware is useless since you'd have to modify both a hole (no big deal) and a integrated nut on the other side (I'm not doing that without a welder and a lift) so I improvised...

I bought two sets of steel spacers from the hardware store. Sorry I don't remember the sizes but between the two it stepped the size down to the appropriate size for the bolts that I purchased and it fit rather snugly. Also I'd suggest getting bolts about 10mm-15mm longer than the ones suggested so you can fit fender washers and lock washers....

I have it installed now but I haven't driven it as I'm waiting for Advance auto to get me my warrantied caliper... one of the rebuilt ones they sold me was frozen right out of the gate...
Old 03-24-10, 07:41 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Thermactor
I ... don't think that the '95-up LS models have a steering damper.
Yeah I did not really look for one when I was under the car. I just figured for that cost why not replace when I am doing my ball joints, tie rods and bushings. I can't believe this is the first time someone has said something. I have been in more then one thread in this fourm asking and talking about a steering damper. Guess I will be sending this part back.
Old 03-24-10, 09:21 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRULUX
Yeah I did not really look for one when I was under the car. I just figured for that cost why not replace when I am doing my ball joints, tie rods and bushings. I can't believe this is the first time someone has said something. I have been in more then one thread in this fourm asking and talking about a steering damper. Guess I will be sending this part back.
Sorry. I wish I'd seen your post sooner. I've been living under my car for the past few days, getting ready to take the trans out, and I've had a full view of the underside of my '96... and... yeah, no damper on our rack. I saw in pictures where it bolts up to the '91-94, and it clearly isn't there on our cars.

I guess that the need for a damper on our cars is alleviated by the revised strut rod and suspension geometry.
Which sucks because since the strut rods are under so much strain, they fail in five years.
Old 03-24-10, 09:48 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Maybe that is part of my suspension problem. I even made a poll on it and no one ever said a word about the strut rods or me not having the damper and it was one of the poll options. 1 more reason for the last thread I posted.

Quick Reply: Steering damper update