LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My fuel consumption - normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 06:08 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
You guys are neglecting the speeds he is travelling at. Drive a tank of gas at like 15mph in the city and 35mph on the highway and pot back on how good your mileage is.

I'm guessing/remembering qha_vn is in Vietnam and traffic is insane in SE Asia. Imagine driving an Manhatten/LA rush-hour almost 24-7 day, everywhere. It was when insane I was there in 05, the roads were utterly clogged from atleast 6am to 9pm in the smaller cities. Big cities like Bangkok, Chang Mai and Vientien were much worse!

It would be nice to hear back from qha about exactly what sort of traffic he is driving in because there could be absolutely nothing wrong or like Peter listed, there could be tons of things...
This post for the win. I just did the conversion for speed and your gas mileage will suck all day everyday. Throw in the A/C and it gets worst.
Old 06-05-14, 07:09 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I admittedly drive like a grandma, but I get 20-21 MPG city and 26-29 on the highway. The OP's numbers do seem awfully low to me.
Old 06-05-14, 07:13 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
This post for the win. I just did the conversion for speed and your gas mileage will suck all day everyday. Throw in the A/C and it gets worst.
A/C must be always on in my driving condition: full of dust and noise
Old 06-05-14, 08:06 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by qha_vn
Thank you very much for your advices, I have covered most of them.

<snipped>
- Run something like Chevron Techron injector cleaner: done few years back

- Very important, at least in my case, was to flush the cooling system: not sure if this would have an impact to fuel consumption, but I did several time with preston coolant.

- And obvious things: use only premium gas, use ONLY OEM air filter and remember to clean it every month or two, change oil regularly using synthetic Mobile 1 and OEM filter, make sure your ECU capacitors have been changed...: I use K&N, gas: ron 95, Castrol 10-40, ECU caps are replaced
- For Chevron Techron, you need to run it regularly, not just "once, few years back" but every few weeks! (if you gas up once a week on average).

- I cleaned my cooling system by running Preston for three days, only that and distilled water for full three days. After that, when I flushed that out, it was all mud - brown and dirty, so I had to flush it with distilled water, twice, to get it to come out cleaned! Then I put in the new Toyota and ONLY TOYOTA coolant, and it was the biggest difference ever. The reason why it worked in my case, was that our engines have some very small passages for coolant, and if dirt and/or rust accumulates there, coolant does not get in all areas, and your transmission does not get cooled properly leading to friction losses in the transmission and loss of power resutling in bad MPG.

- As for K&N, sorry to say, but that filter is pure junk. I am not just stating an opinion, there are measurements out there, done by pros, and they all show it. The only time K&N works is the first moment you put it in. But because it does not really have much of a filtering to speak of, it gets clogged up quickly, and then it lets even less air than any other cheap air filter. The best filter is OEM, and they are all very, very thick, exact opposite of K&N. The reason they are so thick is that particles get trapped easily, and stay on the surface of the filter, so air still has lots of space to get through to the engine.
In tests, K&N works better for the first few hours, then works much worse than any other filter.

But all of that does not explain your poor MPG...

Here is one thing that I'd do in your place: do an emissions test, even if you don't have to, and see what you get there, what kind of values. They always point to something concrete - you can tell exactly how is your combustion, or if there is too much air, or whatever.

By error, I did my emissions test a few days ago, thinking I would need it for registration, but it came out that I did not need it. Here are my values:

15MPH:

CO2 = 14.8%
O2 = 0.0%
HC = 8 MAX = 71 AVE = 12
CO = 0.01 MAX = 0.38 AVE = 0.02
NO = 6 MAX = 524 AVE = 152

25MPH

CO2 = 14.8%
O2 = 0.0%
HC = 5 MAX = 54 AVE = 11
CO = 0.00 MAX = 0.48 AVE = 0.02
NO = 0 MAX = 481 AVE = 145

Those numbers confirm what I know: my engine is running like new. But if it were not, either HC would be too high, pointing to poor combustion or too much fuel, or perhaps NO would be too high, pointing to too much air...

And then, there is the dreaded compression test - do a compression test, and if your compression on all 8 cylinders is within spec, you are golden. If it is too high, you have carbon deposits, which is the exact situation I had on my old Integra a few years ago. I ran B12 Chemtool in my oil for a few minutes (the engine must be cold for that!) and since then, my compression was within spec (btw, this can easily ruin your seals, so it is a bit risky).
But if your compression is too low, other than a complete rebuild, there is not much you can do.

There is also a possibility of power loss in transmission, or differential... maybe bad shift solenoids, although they should throw a code. Speaking of which - have you checked your codes recently?

Oh, and very easy to miss: your rear tire pressure. I run mine at close to 40psi. I know it sounds too high, but it makes quite a difference in MPG, and it is perfectly fine for driving. Just don't run it high on fronts, or your steering may become twitchy.

Also, your MPG should improve in summer as opposed to winter, especially in Canada.
EDIT: wanted to say that I also cleaned my throttle body, and checked my engine for sludge and such, when I did valve cover seals... you may want to do the same, or at least open up the driver side cover to see how is the engine doing. If the cover is clean, it's all good, but if there is stuff there...

Last edited by peterls; 06-05-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-05-14, 11:33 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

interesting things about K&N, i never knew your story before. anyway, I will leave it there for now.

my purpose of this thread is to get some numbers to compare gas consumption among people driving in similar road condition. but it might not the case when most people here are in US.
Old 06-09-14, 12:07 PM
AFLS400
Driver School Candidate

I just made a run from Miami Beach to Palm Bay FL on Mobil Premium Unleaded 93 Octane. My MPG was 26.7 at 71 mph on cruise control. I am sure I could average 30 MPG cruising at 55 mph, but I would end up as roadkill driving that slow!!

Last edited by AFLS400; 06-09-14 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-14, 12:31 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

actually i think you'll get similar if not less mileage if you go slower. i find that the sweet spot for our cars is above 75mph! it's a combo of air resistance, accelerator input, vehicle weight, and engine condition that contribute other than the road condition itself. also it helps to have that extra 5th overdrive gear, you 98-up owners!
Old 06-09-14, 06:57 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Just as I was bragging about my car's mpg, I refill yesterday and get 17.5 mpg!
OK, it was all really busy city driving, cold weather, and me being impatient (aggressive), but it was still a surprise.

However, I did fill at a different pump this time, so maybe there was an error there too... Trying to be very careful now, to see if I get a different result.

One thing that I noticed, but couldn't confirm yet, is that this engine seems to be really sensitive to outside temperature and mpg changes accordingly.
Old 06-09-14, 07:35 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, it's not a simple matter of a constant speed we are talking about. It'll be more like stop and go city driving on the highway for the OP and crippling gridlock for the city.

Again, when I was in SE Asia, driving on the highway was nothing like what we see here.
Old 06-09-14, 08:58 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

just for you to have an idea of how everyday drive looks like in HCM :-)

this is what they call "highway" in VN

Old 06-10-14, 01:53 AM
kevvo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering the circumstances of so much traffic your economy now seems reasonable.
Old 06-10-14, 01:55 PM
AFLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peterls
Just as I was bragging about my car's mpg, I refill yesterday and get 17.5 mpg!
OK, it was all really busy city driving, cold weather, and me being impatient (aggressive), but it was still a surprise.

However, I did fill at a different pump this time, so maybe there was an error there too... Trying to be very careful now, to see if I get a different result.

One thing that I noticed, but couldn't confirm yet, is that this engine seems to be really sensitive to outside temperature and mpg changes accordingly.
You are probably right. I just got 440 miles (338 hwy/102 city) out of my last tank. The low fuel light was on and the trip computer showed 38 miles left to go, but I didn't want to take the chance of running out of fuel. Anyway I will try cruising at 75 mph to see what my MPG numbers show.