LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

"P" and "N" lights controlled by neutral switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 06:50 AM
R7000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "P" and "N" lights controlled by neutral switch?

I have a question about the neutral safety switch on my daughter's '98. Does the neutral safety switch cause the gearshift indicators on the dash to light up? In other words, if I get a good "P" in park or "N" in neutral can I conclude that the neutral safety switch is working?

The reason I ask is that she has had intermittant problems starting the car (190K miles). She had the alternator and battery changed once for $$$ and another time on warranty as there was a legit charging problem but now that the charging issue is fixed (I hope) the starting issue would be either the starter or the neutral safety switch or something else.

The daughter lives quite distance away and she is not the best diagnostician or even question answerer when I ask questions about clicks, etc (however she has learned how to use a voltmeter to check battery and alternator).

So, in summary, the next time it does not start, can the neutral safety switch be called "good" if you get a "P" light or "N" light on the panel?

Another dumb question . . . if the car does not start due to neutral safety switch fault in park, can one shift to neutral for another try on alternate contacts? How does one shift to neutral with the car not running (again I don't have access to the car or I'd figure that out on my own)?

Thanks for taking the time to review.

Tom
La.
Old 05-16-14, 07:02 AM
Yamae

Received 851 Likes on 643 Posts

I can assume easily how you feel now as a father who's daughter is away from home.
Yes, "P" and "N" lights are controlled by the neutral safety switch.
When the indicator does not light up, it will cause the no engine start problem since the +B is not supplied to the starting relay.
Search the forum and you will find about it more. You also can find the cheap way to fix it which I have written.

If you can 't find those, I will write those again with some additional easy method which can be probably done by someone who doesn't have a very good experience.

When my assignment was over to work in USA, my daughter was still attending a university there and my wife and i had to worry about it. I will help you and your daughter as much as possible. Send me a personal mail, if you need a further assistance.

Last edited by Yamae; 05-16-14 at 07:19 AM.