LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking For Advice On Parking Regularly In The Sun

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 06:39 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Advice On Parking Regularly In The Sun

My LS400 has been parked in the garage since my dad bought it, and even at work I have had the privilege of having indoor parking in a parking structure. However, there is a new parking policy at work, and starting in a couple weeks I am to park in an outdoor lot that is uncovered, completely exposed to the elements. Yikes! I have always believed that parking in a covered space saves both my paint and my leather upholstery, which is today still impeccable and lush. My fear is that after an extended time the leather will harden and crack, and the paint may start spotting and fading. I will seek advice from guys here who know how to manage their car despite parking regularly in the sun. Fortunately I don't live in Phoenix, but even though the climate here is cooler during the summer (about 70° or below), the sun still shines and I worry about damage that may come.

I am looking for ideas on where to start. Of course, the first thing I will do is to get one of those windshield visors, but is there anything I can do to protect the leather in the back seats? What about the factory tint? I want to do everything reasonable aside from putting on a car cover every day when coming to work.

Hopefully there are people here who is in my same situation and can give some advice on how to best preserve the car. All ideas will be considered, so thanks for your time.
Old 05-02-14, 06:59 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in a similar situation being that once I install my coilovers I will no longer be able to garage my car (unless I figure out some ramps). Anyhow, I would strongly consider investing in the Highest UV leather protecting conditioner like BLACKFIRE or something equally as good. Next I would definitely tint the windows as dark as possible. Privacy curtains might not be a bad route either. I will most likely be doing all of the above considering the fast approaching heat in CA.

Why not a car cover? You would be parked for at least 8 hours anyway right?
Old 05-02-14, 07:25 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do at least tint. I dont think you would need to go dark, but the film should block UV rays.

someday I plan on doing the windshield 55%. I dont want the dash cracking in the sun.
Old 05-02-14, 10:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

tint the glass, get a properly fitting visor, and keep the car waxed.
Old 05-03-14, 03:28 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

I would use KLASSE all in one and the sealant...very good product for protecting against uv rays

Amazon.com: Klasse All In One 33 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Klasse All In One 33 oz.: Automotive
Amazon.com: Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze 33 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze 33 oz.: Automotive

a little goes a long way with this stuff
also when I drive mine to work its parked in spots that keep the public from parking next to it so they wont door ding me...

Last edited by python; 05-03-14 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 12:17 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Nothing will protect your car perfectly except a car cover. Anything else is a loosing battle against UV rays, dust, heat and so on.

Had a neighbor once who used a car cover on his BMW, and even though his parking was in the direct sunlight and heat, the car looked brand new forever.
Old 05-04-14, 09:38 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

+1

I have numerous cars that i've stored outside for over 15 years, and they are been irradiated by the Denver high altitude sun the whole time and held up very well due to the above precautions.
Old 05-04-14, 09:47 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

I have never tinted my windows before, but wouldn't consistent sun exposure cause them to bubble up?
Old 05-05-14, 06:04 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Just confirming your concern is well placed.

I got my father in law's '91 about 5 years ago. When I got it, it had virtually never been parked in daylight for long (SoCal car), and looked fantastic.

Since parking it outside here 24x7 in sunny NorCal, within just about a year or two: climate control / clock LCD which had been fine, went bad (yes, I've seen other mentions of this failure being UV related); paint on hood (only) started bubbling clearcoat; front seat leather cracking; tinted windows bubbling. The good news is that with all those issues I don't even notice any change in the overall condition of the rest of the paint.
Old 05-05-14, 06:29 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

tint goes a LONG way from saving your interior, and it helps your A/C cool the car faster. almost every tint has UV blocking (regardless of shade) but heat is also an enemy. there are certain tints that reject more heat energy (TSER) than others so looking into that when choosing. tint is a lengthy subject so do more research, and there is a good thread in the socal sub-forum on it!

speaking of heat, i like to crack a window or sunroof when parked on hot days to keep the interior cool thus preserving that much more. plus it makes re-entry more comfortable. as stated a normal and consistent waxing regiment will help keep the paint protected and slick.
Old 05-05-14, 06:31 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
I have never tinted my windows before, but wouldn't consistent sun exposure cause them to bubble up?
if they bubble, then the installer either used poor tint material or did a poor job in general. most, if not all, tint shops have a lifetime warranty against peeling and bubbling. i have never had to use said warranty but it's nice to know it's there.

if you really want to fully protect your interior, use ceramic tint. they even make clear ceramic "tint" for the windshield, though the downside is that it cost 3x more expensive than regular tint.
Old 05-06-14, 10:12 PM
sfearing
Driver School Candidate

I've got to agree with the use of the complete car cover, but I also use the California Pop Top.
http://www.capoptop.com/
The recommended size for the LS 400 is C17. It's not designed to cover the outside of the whole car, just the cabin, but the reduction in the temperature inside is amazing.
Old 05-06-14, 11:25 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

+1.

I live in phoenix with my car. 125 degree summers and 95 degree nights, heat is a monster on cars here. Wax it, keep the leather conditioned, tinted windows, and a sun visor. My seats look amazing compared to the other Lexus models I see people trying to be cool in

but that california pop top thing is expensive. You can buy a nice full car cover for less, and cover the high spots on the paint that are prone to flaking and oxidation as well as protecting your light lenses and such from yellowing. Not to mention only covering the cabin just looks goofy.
Old 05-08-14, 10:27 PM
sfearing
Driver School Candidate

Well, a complete car cover is really the best thing for the reasons you mentioned. I wanted to bring your attention to the California Pop Top as another solution to the cabin heat problem.