LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

tuning software

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 03:26 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning software

How many of you are running Megasquirt/Microsquirt? What do you think of it??
Old 04-24-14, 05:18 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure there are some SC guys using it, but probably not many LS's. I'm thinking of using megasquirt or stinger.
Old 04-24-14, 05:35 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

I thought about stinger, but the price tag is a BIGGGG no. The megasquirt I can get a setup assemble box for less than $500 and it will have a MAF, I think they come with a wideband and a lifetime warranty. This is the one im looking at, but ill probably have a custom one built:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...unit-p-65.html
Old 04-24-14, 08:47 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

in my experience megasquirt is still somewhat limited in driving/tuning >6cyl engines. Great for 4cyl/6cyl cars though, if you don't find yourself input/ignition limited.

if I was going standalone, AEM/Motec/Pectel all the way.
Old 04-24-14, 09:04 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've played a lot with mega squirt and it's a fairly basic system, but you do have to have a solid understanding of the operation of the car a show the ECU functions to get the most out of it. It has a lot of limitations compared to better units.

I'd also add DTA to PD's list of AEM/Motec and would stay away from Pectel.
Old 04-24-14, 09:11 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also don't forget you are going to have to spend a lot more than $500 on this. I'd guess you're probably closer to $1000 after the smoke clears and you have all the components needed to make it work. Plus you'd still have to build your wiring harness and then integrate everything with the car.

You have to be exceptionally adept at many things to tackle a project like this.
If you're idea of wiring repairs and additions include buttconnectors and parrallel taps, this sort of project is probably well beyond the skills you poses.
Old 04-24-14, 05:58 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Yeah the guy over at DIY said it would have to be built specifically to run the car properly but I chose to do bank fueling. but yeah, about $950 for EVERYTHING for the plug and play MS3 kit, but if I get the plug and play custom built MS2 I can get it for $750. Seems a bit much but thats with being able to tune boost, timing, fuel, everything like that on the fly and not having any extra parts. Going to have to switch to speed density but I got no problem with that, finer tuning. But still $750-$950 vs the $1700 I saw the Stinger 4424 for sale for, I think i would do the MS.

Which MS system did you use?? The Sloppy Mechanic guys all run Microsquirt or MS1 and they hit 9s with LS motors with nothing but a turbo, fuel upgrades, and the MS system.
Old 04-24-14, 06:18 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run a MS2 on my Merkur XR4Ti.

I built the ecu from scratch. I wouldn't say it's limited. But I'm also running megasquirt extra.

Like it was said before. It will be closer to $1k.

Mine did not come with a wideband.

And if I were to do my LS I would run 2 widebands. One for each side.

I recommend getting the book diyautotune put together. It's a great read and will give you a better understanding of how the ecu works.

After building the ecu and tuning the hell out of it. You really appreciate how well the factory ecu works.

The factory ecu can start the car at any temperature, and run good. All that and still passing emissions.
Old 04-24-14, 06:24 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Emissions? whats that? lol just kidding. But he said he was going to build it custom in the specs as follows:

An MS3 would be your best bet; it's ready to run the stock ignition setup out of the box (you will need something separate to manage the transmission). The MS3 is also ready for boost control out of the box. If it gives you sticker shock, I can also price out a custom built MS2, but this one will need mods. Having an MS2 modified for this engine will be about $200 less than an MS3.

MS3X357-C_BL $659 Assembled Megasquirt-III V3.57 with MS3X
JimStim-C $88 Assembled JimStim diagnostic board
StimPower $9.50 Power supply for JimStim
MSHarness8 $67 8' main board wiring harness
MS3X-Hrn8 $72 8' MS3X wiring harness
IATwPiggy $22.25 Intake Air Temperature Sensor
38NPT-Bung_A $9 Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
MS3TuneCable $6.95 USB communications cable for MS3
Subtotal without wideband-- $933.70

I'll also include pricing on our top of the line system, the MS3-Pro:

MS3Pro-PKG1 $1199 MS3-Pro package with 8' (2.4m) wiring harness and tuning cables
GM3bar-map $64 MAP sensor
GM3bar_piggy $11.50 Pigtail connector for MAP sensor
IATwPiggy $22.25 Intake Air Temperature Sensor
38NPT-Bung_A $9 Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
Subtotal without wideband-- $1305.75

The wideband oxygen sensor system is optional, but a very useful tuning tool. We carry the Innovate line.

Wideband Options—

MTX-L digital gauge system $199
LC-2 without gauge $189 (you can still view real-time AFR and datalog AFR through your laptop)
LC-2 with DB digital gauge $209 (available in red or blue)
LC-2 with G series analog gauge $249
LM-2 basic data logger with one sensor $349
LM-2 deluxe kit with one O2 sensor $479 (Sale: $399)
LM-2 deluxe kit with two O2 sensors $669 (Sale: $599)

personally, I would grab some cheap *** widebands from E-bay lol can get them for like $100 each.
Old 04-24-14, 06:34 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Also you can run MS3 and have sequential fuel and spark. No need for a MAF, just a MAP sensor (usually on the MS) coolant temp, crank position sensor, cam sensor and a wideband.

I would also recommend running a new wiring harness. And don't cheap out on loom and weather tight connectors.

On my XR4Ti, I ditched the dizzy and ran coil on plugs with LS2 truck coils. They give a powerful spark which let's me open my plug gap and not worry about blowing the spark out when I get into boost.
Old 04-24-14, 06:43 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

your XR4 is much different lol we have two dizzys, two coils and two ignitors. would be much easier if my car was like yours lol

but I am ditching the MAF for speed density. the fuel and spark is going to be done by bank, too much crap to do it one at a time lol
Old 04-25-14, 05:26 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coil on plug does sound nice.
Old 04-25-14, 06:00 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cgawalkelo, can get quality bosch widebands (the sam one the aem uego wideband comes with) off rock auto for 65 bucks.
Old 04-25-14, 06:05 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

got a part number for those??
Old 04-25-14, 06:05 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cgawelko
your XR4 is much different lol we have two dizzys, two coils and two ignitors. would be much easier if my car was like yours lol

but I am ditching the MAF for speed density. the fuel and spark is going to be done by bank, too much crap to do it one at a time lol
If the motor has a crank position sensor you don't need the dizzys.
My motor did not have a crank position sensor. Everything was inside the dizzy. So I added a crank position sensor and plugged the hole for the dizzy and run LS2 coil packs. But they are not sequential.

With the ls400 motor it should be easy to ditch the dizzys. With the crank position and cam position the megasquirt should easily run sequential fuel and spark. Just add 8 coils, I like the LS2 truck coils. Lots of spark and built in heat sinks.

I think an important question is why do you want to do this with your ls?

The factory ecu does a great job and I doubt you will have better performance. Unless you modify.

The reason I did it to my XR is I heavily modified it. Bigger turbo, added intercooler, port and polished big valve heads, mildly aggressive cam, bigger fuel and injectors, and 3" exhaust out the back.
My factory ecu was not able to deal with it and I really wanted to ditch my failure prone air meter. My wiring harness was toast as well.

So it was a good idea for me to install a new harness and build a ecu specific to my motor.

It's fun tho. And you learn a lot. But after its all said and done. If your not going to do some serious mods to your LS, it's hard to beat the factory ecu.

Quick Reply: tuning software