LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 keyless entry programming: options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 05:32 PM
eld4au6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 keyless entry programming: options?

After much hassle I have gotten two master keys programmed to my 98 ls 400, however the locksmith only programmed the immobilizer portion of the master key. He said I would be able to find the instructions on the internet blah blah.

I have found the instructions on the internet and tried them, but I'm getting stuck on the lock-unlock 5x step. My locks always work perfectly until I start locking and unlocking them 10 times in succession. It seems one or two of the door lock actuators get tired and the car will double unlock/lock trying to get those doors to cooperate.

Is there any way to program the keyless entry on the master key/remote other than the method described above? Maybe unplug the other door lock actuators? I'm about to send her to the dealer which as a DIY guy I hate to do.
Old 04-24-14, 05:17 AM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by eld4au6
Is there any way to program the keyless entry on the master key/remote other than the method described above? Maybe unplug the other door lock actuators? I'm about to send her to the dealer which as a DIY guy I hate to do.
It is not impossible to program but it needs a special equipment which can rewrite the data area of the non-volatile memory for the remote control. But most dealers don't have that equipment. I have seen mechanics doing the lock-unlock 5x steps at dealers.

Judging from your current situations, your door actuator is about to fail completely. It is the typical early symptom of the failing motor.

A real DIY guy can fix the problem all by himself just cleaning the inside of the motor in most of cases. I actually have succeeded to fix the motor more than 20 times. The aged motor has a lot of carbon and graphite dusts inside and these make a bridge between + and - terminals and it works as a bypass circuit. This forces the Posistor to pass through too much current and is heated up resulting bigger resistance and the less current. The motor cannot generate enough torque and the lock/unlock is not well done.

Below are for your information. Photos were taken when I fixed the door actuator for my 98 Celsior. All you need is just to clean!
Attached Thumbnails 98 keyless entry programming: options?-motor-for-actuator.jpg   98 keyless entry programming: options?-after-cleaned.jpg  
Old 04-24-14, 07:46 AM
eld4au6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I've been somewhat sugcessfull in manually locking and unlocking the doors but I always get a double unlock lock response after the key being on for 5 sec. I've even gotten the remote to lock the doors but when I get to the unlock step it won't do anything.

Sorry if that paragraph is hard to read. Typing on my phone.
Old 04-24-14, 05:26 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

thank you yamae! i have the same issue and didn't know it was a simple solution. i imagine the hardest part is removing the actuator from the door itself. what kind of cleaner do you recommend? will electronic parts cleaner work?
Old 04-24-14, 06:57 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
thank you yamae! i have the same issue and didn't know it was a simple solution. i imagine the hardest part is removing the actuator from the door itself. what kind of cleaner do you recommend? will electronic parts cleaner work?
I used an air compressor to blow dusts first for both sides. I mean, the coil side and the commutator side. Then I used a conventional parts cleaner sold at parts store to clean only for the commutator side. I never used the parts cleaner for the coil side for fear of a damage to the insulation layer of the coil. You have to be careful not to damage plastics and insulators. The poly urethane used for the coil wire is weak against organic solvents or mineral oils. I used a silicon oil to shaft bearings aiming for the lubrication after motor was assembled. The silicon oil seldom damage plastics.

To remove actuators needs some skill but for a DIY guy, it is just a small hill to climb up. The front door needs you to remove a hex screw which is holing the lower end of the glass rail. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to take the actuator unit out.

On the other hand it is fairly easy to do for the rear doors. My DIY skill is still limited and slow in the mechanical area but it is just a fun to get used to it.
Old 04-27-14, 01:42 PM
eld4au6
Driver School Candidate

As it turns out the instructions I found on a thread were incorrect, printed the lexus tsb went out and tried it and it worked first try.

Manually unlocking and locking also worked fine.

I am one happy person.