LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

BMW refugee looking at LS400s. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 02:43 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i would look at these:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...410895230.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...330034446.html <= Price suggest it needs some serious work, to me. I'd get a really thorough inspection if you go that route

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...397164748.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...403999195.html <+ ^^ Same car different plate? quick flip? POS in hiding? Old Pics? i like this car but would be worth inquiring about both from 2 separate emails.... see if it's a scam.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...326422761.html This is the 80k one you mentioned. it is going to need about $1000-1500 in age related service, I wouldn't pay more than $5500 for that car, $5k is a more realistic price considering the work that is likely required. Negatives on this car, it's Tan on tan, it if was black on black, grey on black or silver on black, it would command more money.

See what i mean about asking a lot more than in the US: http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/cto/4378554384.html ~$11,800usd :eek:

Last edited by Shmee; 04-08-14 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-08-14, 06:42 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
I still stand by a 1st gen. Note the connecting rod comparison on the top photo on the right:

http://lextreme.com/Toyota-Lexus-Rods.html
ummm, yeah, there's a solution looking for a problem!

I have been working on LS400's for 24 years and I have never seen or even heard of a connecting rod failure! - and since these engines have proven to be the most durable of any car ever made, with many lasting over 500,000 miles, what is your point exactly?

The money you will spend on a newer one, you can get a pre-95, none of that crazy OBD2 CEL nonsense and the modification comes easier. A 2nd gen your pretty much going to have to make mods yourself. The 1st gen there is a bit of a market for (unless you want a carbon fiber hood, then your SOL) and you can get piggybacks, stand alones, engine kits, lots of stuff.
crazy OBD2? - you mean the modern standardized diagnostic system that helps pinpoint any problems on the car? - oh no, we sure wouldn't want that!

I wouldn't own a car that didn't have OBD2, because I am the one who has to figure out what's wrong if and when your car won't go! - it gives the average guy the ability to tame the computer system and all of these sensors! - OBD2 is a great thing!
Old 04-09-14, 01:36 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I know of a local 98' with 150km that sold to my buddy for $6000 a few months back. My bro bought his for 10k with only 56000km just under two years ago. Mine was priced very well for 91km but I waited two years for it. I look on CL all the time, nice LS400s are popping up more frequently now. Yes the prices are typically 15-20% higher here than just over the border in WA but If your patient enough you'll find it. The tan 95' has been up forever.
Old 04-09-14, 02:15 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

@VancityLS4,
If the OP still has his 7series, he probably can't wait another 2 years like you did... thats like another $20,000 worth of repairs and maintenance that will be due on his 740! He won't have enough to eat let alone afford a nice LS! :P

I'll be on the mainland for the first weekend in May for the Dubberz Cruise from WR to Spanish, you should come out! It would be nice to have a few other LS's out, I'm trying to get Kevin from Serialnine to come out... http://dubberz.com/forum/events-crui...ng-vol-6-2014/ Always a fun event!
Old 04-10-14, 04:04 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You live in BC? you really should look at getting a Celsior. You can get excellent examples of left hand drive cars no question, but you can get ultra low Mileage cars from Japan for even less money.
You can easily get a nearly perfect Celsior, with every option and a perfect exterior, with under 50,000km for 5,000$ legal in BC.

The Celsior was 97+ for the VVti cars and 5spd auto, its a big improvement over the older cars. Its a no brainer for highly reliable and low running cost replacement on that 740.

Talk to my friend Derek at Pacific coast JDM to import your own car.
Or check out William at JDMconnection who will handle it all for you, and at a low price.
Old 04-10-14, 09:48 PM
MrCi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shmee
@VancityLS4,
If the OP still has his 7series, he probably can't wait another 2 years like you did... thats like another $20,000 worth of repairs and maintenance that will be due on his 740! He won't have enough to eat let alone afford a nice LS! :P

I'll be on the mainland for the first weekend in May for the Dubberz Cruise from WR to Spanish, you should come out! It would be nice to have a few other LS's out, I'm trying to get Kevin from Serialnine to come out... http://dubberz.com/forum/events-crui...ng-vol-6-2014/ Always a fun event!
My second 7 series kicked the bucket about three weeks ago @ 140k miles. Timing chain guides disintegrated, and it's a 30 hour job. No thanks. Suspension was also needing a full refresh (~$2000).

That's why I'm here

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
You live in BC? you really should look at getting a Celsior. You can get excellent examples of left hand drive cars no question, but you can get ultra low Mileage cars from Japan for even less money.
You can easily get a nearly perfect Celsior, with every option and a perfect exterior, with under 50,000km for 5,000$ legal in BC.

The Celsior was 97+ for the VVti cars and 5spd auto, its a big improvement over the older cars. Its a no brainer for highly reliable and low running cost replacement on that 740.

Talk to my friend Derek at Pacific coast JDM to import your own car.
Or check out William at JDMconnection who will handle it all for you, and at a low price.
Can't handle RHD cars. I know it's just a matter of getting used to it, but I drive a lot, and as you know RHD in a LHD world is quite an inconvenience.
Old 04-10-14, 10:02 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrCi
My second 7 series kicked the bucket about three weeks ago @ 140k miles. Timing chain guides disintegrated, and it's a 30 hour job. No thanks. Suspension was also needing a full refresh (~$2000).

That's why I'm here

Can't handle RHD cars. I know it's just a matter of getting used to it, but I drive a lot, and as you know RHD in a LHD world is quite an inconvenience.
If the timing chains went, thats a massive job! May as well pull the motor and reseal it at that point. I've had to do that on a 850, not a fun job, but that was a few extra cylinders!

Honestly, look at the ones I posts, you might be able grind them down on price.

That grey one in Richmond looks nice, and doesn't seem like some dumb kid as ruined it yet, although the Tsuna gives me pause....

The tan one could be amazing but is priced too high. For $5k purchase and like $1500 in maintenance, you'd have a car that would last you another decade or 2.

Do you plan to modify it ay all?
Coming from a 7series, this car will feel pretty soft and floaty in stock form, throw on a nice set of coilovers and you'll be in 740 territory for handling and feel.
if you are just planning to keep it stock and want the cushy ride, you will never want to drive anything but an LS series after owning your first!
Old 04-10-14, 11:16 PM
MrCi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shmee
If the timing chains went, thats a massive job! May as well pull the motor and reseal it at that point. I've had to do that on a 850, not a fun job, but that was a few extra cylinders!

Honestly, look at the ones I posts, you might be able grind them down on price.

That grey one in Richmond looks nice, and doesn't seem like some dumb kid as ruined it yet, although the Tsuna gives me pause....

The tan one could be amazing but is priced too high. For $5k purchase and like $1500 in maintenance, you'd have a car that would last you another decade or 2.

Do you plan to modify it ay all?
Coming from a 7series, this car will feel pretty soft and floaty in stock form, throw on a nice set of coilovers and you'll be in 740 territory for handling and feel.
if you are just planning to keep it stock and want the cushy ride, you will never want to drive anything but an LS series after owning your first!
Probably stock(ish). Maybe put those SC430 wheels on it, and possibly coilovers. That's about it; I'm an IT consultant, which means driving a lot. 20s and slammed would suck for driving a few hours a day.

I wouldn't mind that tan on tan, but I prefer OBDII cars and it's stupid expensive. I'm currently in Manitoba for work anyway, so right now I'm just asking questions and getting a feel for the problem areas of the car.

On another note, do I need a special diagnostic laptop with dealer software for these cars?
Old 04-10-14, 11:28 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I think the 95 was one of the early odb2 cars. It became mandatory in 96, lots of cars came with it prior to that though.

Might want to ask in a seperate post if 95s had odb2 or not.
The grey one might be the ticket, might need more maintenance out of the gate but will be as reliable in the long run...

And on the early non-obd2 cars, you just jump the diagnostic port. You should be able to search out the exact procedure pretty easily on here.
Old 04-10-14, 11:29 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and slammed on 19s/20s in these cars is not that bad... I've done a few long drives in mine and enjoyed it thoroughly!
Old 04-11-14, 12:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

'95s are OBDII pretty much.
Old 04-12-14, 11:46 PM
Colington
Driver School Candidate

Default Wow! We are similar....

Originally Posted by MrCi
I posted on the 430 side a few weeks ago, and after looking at my budget, I can't realistically get a decent (05+) LS430. So here I am. I've read through quite a few buyer's guide threads, and there is really no consensus.

I've owned two BMW 740s, and they were extremely unreliable POS'es. Engine, tranny and cooling system problems galore.

Assume a $8k budget, including purchase and first-year maintenance. What should i go for? 94-97? 98-00? Why or why not?

Is this car also reliable? I'm no stranger to flatbeds, and I'd kinda like to avoid that as much as possible this time around.

I'm looking at cars with around 200k km (~125k miles). That's the point where the 7 series' drivetrain starts falling apart. Same thing here?

Thanks for the help!
I am yet another disgruntled BMW refugee. My woes were mostly 5 series, but there was a 2001 740i as well. After an exhaustive search, I finally decided on a 1997 pearl LS400. Now before everyone says 98+ is better and more fuel efficient, it is also well known that the 1997 may be the best car ever made (in spite of) it's lower mpgs. I live in southern ca and paid $3900 for mine with 110,000 gentle miles. I did the timing belt, full syn oil, rad hoses and addressed a seep on the valve cover the first week ($1,600) and now have a turn key beaut! Other than BMW, you don't find your eyes CONSTANTLY looking at the temp gauge or for warning lights. The trick to finding a good LS is the maintenance records. It is an interference engine and the timing belt is CRITICAL! Of it fails, you have killed it. Dunzoooo! Make sure the brakes are in good health. The starter is poorly positioned and can get oil on it ($2000) to replace. Check the electrics. Stereo pixels are often faulty. I had best but install a transit blue HF module. It plays Bluetooth and responds to Siri. Temp sensors can make a world of difference too. Just remember, it's a VERY over engineered Toyota and the quality is very good. I commute 90 miles a day in mine, I average 24mpg and I generally love it. Drive in ECT PWR mode to feel more lively and don't expect it to feel as tight as a bimmer (it's NOT one). You will see these with 200k miles every day, but try to find a peach. A lot of older folk own them and don't rack up the miles, so look hard. Happy hunting.
Old 04-13-14, 08:36 PM
Doc Yota
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi and welcome. The 98-00 is the best of the bunch. I am on my second 98-00 model (totaled my first one) and for five years I have had no major issues. Even my 2002 LS430 has had more problems than either of my LS400's and I am pretty rough on cars. This vehicle redefines the word comfortable and knowing that you can give some on the best V8 sports a serious run for the money is why I call it "Comfortable, and Capable". If you want a timeless design with a 300HP 5 speed fuel efficient V8 tucked under the hood the 98-00 LS is the only way to go. The real 4 door sports car....accept no substitute.