LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Intresting/strange/weird trips in your Ls400..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 10:56 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Intresting/strange/weird trips in your Ls400..

As we all know we drive the most reliable car on the face of the planet. I'm on #3 Ls400 now and I'm older and know the cars better now. But I was only 17 when I got my first one, a 90 and I loved my car and had SO much faith in it I wanted to take it everyware. Literally EVERYWARE., like drive on beaches, wooded trails, long distance trips etc, which brings me to one of many funny but embarrassing mishaps with the car. About ten years ago I dated a girl in Jacksonville Florida, I live in orlando so it was a good 130 miles to her house., I'd make the trip there in a little over a hour hauling butt on the highway. Anyway she lived in a brand new subdivision just outside JAX in a area called julington creek. Actually it was still very rural at the time except for her neighborhood, anyway the road to her house from the city was a little two lane twisty thing with nothing but woods on each side for several miles named "racetrack road". Fitting name for it cause I would absolutey FLY down it lol. Anyway one day going to her house I wasn't doing 100 and I noticed a old rotted wooden sign reading "julington creek cemetery" pointing down a dirt road in the woods. Well I got curious about it cause I like weird old creepy stuff and I asked her if she wanted to explore it with me, she said no and strongly reccomended that I stayed the hell away from there. Well I should have listened cause I had to learn the hard way. One evening on my weekend trip to see her I had some time to kill before she got out of class so I decided to go check out the cemetery. HUGE mistake. I turned down the dirt trail leading to the graveyard and I immediatly noticed something was wrong. The TRAC and suspension lights were flashing like crazy as I rumbled down the dirt road deeper into the woods., I started speeding up but the car was going slower.. So I hit the gas even harder, and the car got slower and started sinking :/ I felt the car getting stuck and I panicked and threw it in reverse which only made it worse, out of desperation I hit the height control button thinking it would help for whatever reason lol but it didn't do anything. I was absolutey BURIED in sugar sand. Not just the back end, all four wheels. I was so deep in the stuff I could barley open the door to look. Ofcouse I got out of the car cursing and yelling at it for getting me stuck, which also didn't help me lol. Then I turned around and I was only a few feet from a bunch of 100 year old overgrown gravestones. I was stuck in a abandoned cemetery, in the middle of noware, alone, and the sun was going down.....
Old 03-31-14, 11:12 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

I reached in my pocket for my Motorola razor flip phone to call my girl who was freaking out wondering where i was. I told her i was in the old graveyard and that I was stuck. That didn't go over well. Then she started laughing at me. She drove to the graveyard to pick me up, parking on the shoulder of the main road and walked back to where me and my poor Ls400 were stranded. She looked at me, and looked at the car, and almost fell over laughing. I didn't think it was very amusing at the time. I didn't have the money for a tow truck and she suggested I leave the car there and we would deal with it in the morning. I refused. There was no way in HELL I was gunna leave my car there, a car that only a year before busted my *** to get and fix up. So I decided to stay with the car, alone, all night in a abandoned graveyard out in the boonies. She got mad and stormed off back to her jetta and left. Oh what a miserable and scary night. Around 10 PM I was sitting there with the windows down smoking a cigarette when fog began to roll in and it got ominously quiet. I had a change if heart and decided to call her but my phone was dead and I didn't have a charger so I was really alone and stuck out there. I got really scared. I rolled up my windows when I started hearing sticks and branches snapping. That was the ONLY time in the 13 years I've been driving Ls400s I didn't feel safe in one. I saw shadows all night and I didn't sleep a wink. I can't believe I didn't die of a heart attack 3 times over that night. The next day I had money wired to me and I was so buried in the sand it took 3 tow trucks to get me out. That was the first and last time I ever took a Ls400 to a cemetery in the woods. Lol.
Old 04-01-14, 12:12 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

holy blocks of text batman....
Old 04-01-14, 02:30 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did Alfred Hitchcock walk out of the fog?????
Old 04-01-14, 05:52 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
Did Alfred Hitchcock walk out of the fog?????
Lol no but the place could have been taken right off the set of a old Alfred hitchcock movie. It was creepy as hell. I've been to some weird places in my cars but that was one of the weirdest
Old 04-02-14, 07:52 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i enjoyed that read
Old 04-02-14, 08:44 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

It was not at a graveyard but I had a similar experience with you when I was camping in a forest with my family. That was a place where a battle of samurais was once happened several hundred years ago and a big tombstone was near there.

No one except us were there. It was a quiet night but just at midnight, all of the sudden, sticks and branches were snapping. I also heard a sound as if someone was screaming. The moon was making shadows of trees that looked like samurai ghosts at my tent. That was scary indeed. I thought ghosts were there and making those sounds. But it was just the wind that scared us, I understood.
Old 04-02-14, 08:52 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

That had to be an expensive tow. 3 feet, the car had to be buried up to the headlights!!! I don't have any weird stories in the LS but I did have an unnerving drive in a rental car going over a mountain in Puerto Rico that took like 6 hours and looked like it would never end. All the while watching my tank get real low.
Old 04-02-14, 09:31 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yamae-san, was it Sekigahara?
Old 04-02-14, 07:02 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got this trip coming up soon. Should be fun/interesting.

http://www.8ballcoast2coast.com/#!about/c10fk

This is a poker run, not a race. 8 Ball coast 2 Coast, its affiliates and sponsors will NOT be held responsible for any/all legal troubles your dumb, speeding a** gets into. Got a speeding ticket? Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you get the best poker hand and will be able to pay for it.

Paying your entry fee does NOT guarantee that you’ll win big money. But, it WILL get you plenty of awesome, useless stuff (t-shirt, stickers, etc)

EntryOne entry fee = one poker hand card. Have four people in your car? One entry is cool, but only one person can get their card filled out. Passengers can also pay entry if they wish to participate in the poker hand portion of the day. If they don’t wish to, that’s cool, they can just ride along for the antics. Each poker card MUST be stamped at each stop in order to qualify to win. Yes, we have custom stamps at each stop so you can’t cheat.

Scavenger hunt: There will be 5 items sprinkled along the way with vague details as to their whereabouts. Be the first to find that item and ****** it! Bring it with you all the way to the end, and earn yourself a wild card on your poker hand! Find all 5, and have the highest hand of the day! (Must still have a completed poker card stamped at each poker stop. We can’t have you just out there looking for my stuff).
Old 04-02-14, 08:48 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Wasn't there a movie about this a few years ago? :-) :-) Something about a Gumball Race, er I mean Rally.
Old 04-02-14, 10:46 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
Yamae-san, was it Sekigahara?
Oh, Yes, Gene. You are a genius. You can find some of photos of Sekigahara War at below.
http://fale.jugem.jp/?eid=1394
http://ameblo.jp/photokarin/entry-11474532580.html

Last edited by Yamae; 04-02-14 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 08:13 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you. I will check them out.
Old 04-18-14, 04:54 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the coast 2 coast rally turned out to be a good time. They are planning another one in the fall.
Attached Thumbnails Intresting/strange/weird trips in your Ls400..-8ball.jpg  
Old 12-10-15, 08:30 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

ive got a bunch of other crazy LS400 stories. need to start writing about them again

Quick Reply: Intresting/strange/weird trips in your Ls400..