LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 LS400 Needs Timing Belt/Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 08:37 AM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 LS400 Needs Timing Belt/Starter

Only 70k mi and wonder what I should pay for this service. Also what is the best starter? I'm the original owner and this is the first service for anything larger than an oil change, brakes and tires (oil change every 3k mi or 6 months, whichever came first). Thanks.

Bill

Last edited by bernynhel; 03-28-14 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 11:56 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Original owner with 70k miles on a 93...wow, a garage queen for sure...
I'd have my own starter rebuilt...don't have recommendations on where to buy a new one, except from the dealer and never Autozone... As for the TB job, I'd look at a toyota dealership if you want to save some money or a private Lexus mechanic...we have two here in TX, Pratt brothers and Davenport. Both repair places specialize on Lexus and Davenport has free loaner cars if you need one.
I'd call around and get some quotes, but TB alone with the correct parts will be close to $1000... and possibly more.

First major event on the vehicle since 1993... what a testament to these fine cars.
Old 03-28-14, 12:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Independent service mechanics for this service would be ~$600 for the starter and ~$850 for the TB service. Water pump, idlers cam seals, coolant, belt. Might as well also have them give it a tune-up with plugs, wires, cap rotors for the ~$150 more. The top will be very accessible with the starter service so this is a good opportunity. I'd also have the PCV done.

Just have to calla round in your area fora certified Lexus Master Mechanic in the area.
Old 03-28-14, 03:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

personally, I would rather do 3 timing belts than one starter - ugh!

Nippon Denso are the best parts - by far.

by the way, your starter itself is likely fine, it is the plunger/solenoid contacts that are the problem (same work, though)
Old 03-28-14, 09:23 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely call around and get estimates from a reputable source. The recommended service interval for timing belt replacement is 90k, with only 70k on the odometer this should buy you some time. Heck, at the rate you drive it might be another ten years before you reach 90k HOLY COW!!!! Lol. Expect to pay upwards of 1k for everything posted above. I myself would buy all the parts online (cheaper) and find a excellent mechanic/shop to install them, as they would most likely mark up the price of the parts. This would allow you to limit your estimates to labor only. Or, If you live in the Sacramento area I can do it for you for a fraction of the cost you'd pay at a shop/dealer. Anyhow, good luck on whatever path you choose.
Old 03-28-14, 09:26 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
personally, I would rather do 3 timing belts than one starter - ugh!

I'm with you on that
Old 03-29-14, 04:46 AM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IBGREEZY
I ... Anyhow, good luck on whatever path you choose.
Thanks and thanks to all - wow! Lots of good information. After calling the Lexus dealership, the Toyota dealership and calling 7 shops with Certified Lexus Master Mechanics on staff - I went with a shop in business in the same location under the same ownership since 1992 and the owner had been in business in the area with full service auto shops for 40 years.
$2k for everything incl water pump, all belts, cam and crank seals, valve adjustment - the works - even so, a lot of money. They got me a rebuilt AC/Delco Nippondenso starter. 1st time they put it back together - they blew a gasket so whatever back apart and together again to fix it - replaced the thermostat housing when they broke that - I get the car, park it in front of my garage while I get some boxes out of the way to take to the dumpster and get in to start it and it doesn't engage - just that high whine - so I tried a couple a more times and get it started and dropped it back off to have the defective starter replaced. So they cracked the EGR tube and are coming in to try and finish today - Saturday - they said on my voice mail - I'm going to call them and tell them not to sweat it and just take their time - the boss will love that! lol Already has twice the time into it as they estimated.

The TB looked like it could have given out any moment - cracks every 1/4" all way round - the 90k interval on the TB probably wasn't meant to be coupled with 20 years elapsed time in the Sonora Desert where I remember 23 consecutive days one Sept over 110° F
The car ran great for the 1/2 hr I had it back! It always has ran like a bat out of hell - love the 8 cyl. Course I changed the oil 23 times - every 3k mi or 6 months whichever came first - got new brakes at 47k and its on its 3rd set of tires and wiper blades - none wore out (tires not blades) - just didn't look so good after about 6 or 7 years. Ive never had to have the AC serviced or used the ashtrays or cig lighters. The jack, tool kit and first aid kits have never been out of their storage spots. Still smells new too.

I'm getting a new sound system, though. Any recommendations? Something BIG with 1000s of watts and one a those huge sub-woofers for the trunk!

Last edited by bernynhel; 03-29-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-29-14, 09:52 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bernynhel

The TB looked like it could have given out any moment - cracks every 1/4" all way round - the 90k interval on the TB probably wasn't meant to be coupled with 20 years elapsed time in the Sonora Desert where I remember 23 consecutive days one Sept over 110° F
just remember it does the same thing to tires, so replace if over 4 years old, regardless of treadwear left, if you want it to be safe and to drive like it can

I'm getting a new sound system, though. Any recommendations? Something BIG with 1000s of watts and one a those huge sub-woofers for the trunk!
you are at the edge of your alternator's capability just running the car stock, as well as its small gauge wiring, so be aware that with a big sound system, you will need a new 250 amp or higher alternator and big new wiring throughout, and likely a second battery in the trunk.
Old 06-06-14, 01:04 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bernynhel
Thanks and thanks to all - wow! Lots of good information. After calling the Lexus dealership, the Toyota dealership and calling 7 shops with Certified Lexus Master Mechanics on staff - I went with a shop in business in the same location under the same ownership since 1992 and the owner had been in business in the area with full service auto shops for 40 years.
$2k for everything incl water pump, all belts, cam and crank seals, valve adjustment - the works - even so, a lot of money. They got me a rebuilt AC/Delco Nippondenso starter. 1st time they put it back together - they blew a gasket so whatever back apart and together again to fix it - replaced the thermostat housing when they broke that - I get the car, park it in front of my garage while I get some boxes out of the way to take to the dumpster and get in to start it and it doesn't engage - just that high whine - so I tried a couple a more times and get it started and dropped it back off to have the defective starter replaced. So they cracked the EGR tube and are coming in to try and finish today - Saturday - they said on my voice mail - I'm going to call them and tell them not to sweat it and just take their time - the boss will love that! lol Already has twice the time into it as they estimated.

The car ran great for the 1/2 hr I had it back! It always has ran like a bat out of hell - love the 8 cyl. Course I changed the oil 23 times - every 3k mi or 6 months whichever came first - got new brakes at 47k and its on its 3rd set of tires and wiper blades - none wore out (tires not blades) - just didn't look so good after about 6 or 7 years. Ive never had to have the AC serviced or used the ashtrays or cig lighters. The jack, tool kit and first aid kits have never been out of their storage spots. Still smells new too.

I just have to comment on this one. I feel the price is good. As its a super bunch of work to do.
But by all the problems and redo's you can see what flat rate does, and rush rush does. I feel sorry for the poor guy that did the work and has to redo stuff. Wow doing the starter 2 times.
And for the ones that say it should only cost this LOW amount and your getting ripped off just have no idea of the work and the simple things in the process that can cause you lots of time and head aches, like crusty wires, crusty electrical connectors, crusty hoses and corroded and seized bolts etc. not to mention the bad engineering of such things like wire routing in the rear area of these engines and the so very stupid almost zero working clearance from engine to firewall.
A lot more thought could have gone into ease of maintenance, but like Ford making it necessary to remove the cab to work on the rear of the engines in pickups, I guess there is thought that goes into making working on cars and trucks now a difficult and costly event.