LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Time to get rid of codes

Old 03-21-14, 12:37 AM
Sewpra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to get rid of codes

I just replaced my front crank seal and timing belt, I'm hoping I didn't make a massive mistake by putting grease on the outside of the crank seal, no leaks yet after 50 km of hard driving since putting it in.

I'm not sure if the car ever gave an EGR code, which is 71 I believe, I know for certain my EGR pipe is cracked, I used a resistor to get rid of the code without even checking to see if the code was there, because I know eventually I will be deleting the EGR.

I have a CEL that comes on only under heavy acceleration, the only code pulled is 25 for lean air fuel ratio, I know it's not my timing as the FSM says it possibly could be, the FSM lists many things the 25 possibly could be but not really in order of likeliness. I have a strong feeling that it's probably my O2 sensors which I'll be replacing very soon, along with a new front Y pipe I'll be needing since mine doesn't want to seal to the cat on passenger side cold.

But on to the more puzzling question, when I bought the car the ABS and TRAC did not work, both lights are always on, I have yet to try clearing them or pulling the codes, but the previous owner gave me an invoice for diagnostics Lexus did here. They list codes 11, 24, and 56.

They don't specify if codes 11 or 24 are related to the ABS or TRAC system but I would assume TRAC since they're grouped and 56 is a TRAC only code - Pump motor locked.

I tried searching but I'm not finding a whole lot of info on these particular TRAC codes so I'm just looking for suggestions/advice/insight on what can be done.

Also, in the Lexus invoice it says they couldn't clear the codes, and they seemed utterly baffled judging by the mechanics write-up.
Old 03-21-14, 09:13 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

don't worry about codes that are long since gone - but do clear all codes by leaving negative battery cable off overnight and then check ALL codes using the procedure here

pay special attention to the fact that there are two different jumper wire positions required to dump several different separate sets of codes - as the air bag, ABS, and TRAC codes do not show up using the standard jumper position shown, you have to move the jumper over to Tc and E1 (side by side) to see those codes.

Also be sure you are looking up the code from the correct list, for example, there are 3 different code 51's, for engine, ABS, and TRAC, and it is easy to get mixed up when doing this! - and that can really send you on a wild goose chase!