LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

just got a 95 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 11:09 PM
Blksmyth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All went well this weekend! Drive shaft installed, fuse box mounted, all factory brackets reinstalled, exhaust installed. I removed all sensors off the automatic. I then reconnected the shift positioner my assitant watched the cluster. As the positioner was rotated i cycled all positions PRND32L with very little rotation. I then removed it to the bench. 1 red wire seemed to catch PRNDL on the bench no D ????what ever........LOL my luck...lol so i set it at the 2 position and it drove good but no restart.....lol
I then removed the switch and got on the wire hunt according to the wire positions found with the switch and cut them on the harness stripped and twisted the together. Then found the 2 wires that represented" P" and cut and stripped them also. Now when twisted together car starts! Regardless of being in drive But then need to disconnect because car stalls when the throttle is released coming to a stop. When disconnected car idles higher no stall in "2" position.
Enough techy crap...lol this thing is awsome!!! Great driver super quick! Install was easy.
I wss able to order a timer that will mimic connecting the park wires for a programmed time limit say 10 seconds then allow normal idle performance.
There is no vss plug ??? Switch is there but no wire???
Im beat and tired clarify tomorrow...
late!!!
Car is bad ***!
Old 04-01-14, 12:53 AM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on. Congratulations brotha. What drive shaft did you use? A combination of the W58 and stock auto LS??? Or did you buy a custom one piece? I was wondering what would happen if I left the auto tranny sensors plugged in to prevent CEL's, did you try this? Also what RPM's are you at @80 mph? I'm debating on just going 6speed to save gas and not be so high in the RPM range while freeway cruising. I've driven a buddy's 1UZ 85 Cressida with a W58 and was surprised at how effin great the 1UZ felt bangin through gears. I know how you feel right now, somewhat. From what I understand the KA tranny will have me above 3000 @ 80 mph, so I'm considering a 5 speed with taller 5th gear or 6 speed. Time for some research. Anyways congrats again, Oh and video or it didn't happen...lol.
Old 04-01-14, 05:59 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Nice!!!

This is the first ucf20 5 speed swap I've seen too! I heard it is a crazy super pain in the *** and that's why nobody dose it. So how's the 1uz feel now that youve freed the beast?
Old 04-01-14, 12:25 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stereorob
This is the first ucf20 5 speed swap I've seen too! I heard it is a crazy super pain in the *** and that's why nobody dose it.

I think no one has done it on a second gen yet because of the CEL issues. But I believe a 95 would be less difficult on the wiring due to it still being an OBDI vehicle. I am patiently waiting to see what codes remain when it's all said and done.

POST VIDEO OR DIE !!!!:
Old 04-01-14, 01:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IBGREEZY
I think no one has done it on a second gen yet because of the CEL issues. But I believe a 95 would be less difficult on the wiring due to it still being an OBDI vehicle. I am patiently waiting to see what codes remain when it's all said and done.

POST VIDEO OR DIE !!!!:
'95s are OBDII conforming.

The wiring is not a difficult issue, especially on a '95-97
Old 04-04-14, 09:55 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Any progress? I'm dying to know what your hwy cruising RPM's are at 75-80 MPH. I have not yet bought a transmission for this reason, I'm still trying to figure out what 5 speed manual will have me in the lowest RPM range @ 80 MPH considering our 3.62 rear diff gear ratio. I'm guessing a taller 5th gear will be the best bet. It's hard to choose because I want shorter 1-4th gears for acceleration and a tall 5th for cruising. Plus I'm horrible at calculations...lol. So far I'm considering the KA, W58, and R154. If possible I am also considering swapping the diff gear to accomplish this. It's all still very confusing.

R154

1- 3.251
2- 1.955
3- 1.310
4- 1.000
5- 0.753

W58

1- 3.285
2- 1.894
3- 1.275
4- 1.000
5- 0.783

KA24(D)E & SR20DET (S13/S14):
1st- 3.321
2nd- 1.902
3rd- 1.308
4th- 1.000
5th- 0.759

Some gear ratios for reference
Old 04-05-14, 12:07 PM
Blksmyth
Driver School Candidate

Now 320 miles later ...Not a Problem! runs great! now pass smog???...LOL thats another story. looks as though what is needed is some sort of vss setup. so... meeting of all my minds say take the rotor out of the tail cone of the automatic and some how integrate it itnto the tail cone of the manual....Or???
Any thoiughts Ladys and Gentlemaen?
Old 04-05-14, 12:31 PM
Blksmyth
Driver School Candidate

320 miles @20 gals= 16 mpg yep a little short but damn the ride is good!!! Mind you ... i wasnt at all gentle ben or the old lady from pasadena either i was rollin! needless to say no vss no speedo so hard to say now but soon i will conquer! 95 is obdII.... there are two vss signals and three transmitters on the auto trans. one identicle to the Is300 3 pin on the right side the others on the left side of the trans are 2 pin magnetics. On the Manual there is only one and its 3pin gear driven hall effect.
Any take on this...
I just gotta pulse the speedo 4 times per revolution...lol sounds easy huh
About that acceleration... the automatic is quicker and smoother at shifting on time, for now. but no option to grab lower gears at the time you really want. so manual is much much better for the road coarse driven.
first gear is simply too quick to get out of quick enough...lol
i almost can take off in 2nd gear
cruising the freeway at 3000rpm 5th gear passing everything with plenty to go just cant figure that 160mph top speed in anymore but havent tried either.
all week to work and a blast! 80 miles round trip 4 days plus some other adventures so mileage may vary.
Old 04-05-14, 12:32 PM
Blksmyth
Driver School Candidate

Hey , P.D. im workin on that new mount as we speak...lol
Old 04-05-14, 12:34 PM
Blksmyth
Driver School Candidate

Default Video??? How?

Originally Posted by IBGREEZY

POST VIDEO OR DIE !!!!:
how to post a video???
Old 04-05-14, 12:35 PM
Blksmyth
Driver School Candidate

I.B. where you at in LA?
Old 04-07-14, 07:53 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Blksmyth, I am actually in Northern California (Elk Grove). I am glad to hear your conversion was a success so far. I have a couple buddies who have swapped 1UZ's in their Cressida's with functional LS400 guage clusters. I'll talk to them and see what they did for a VSS.

As for video, I'm sure you can just post a YouTube link here.
Old 04-09-14, 12:48 PM
Blksmyth
Driver School Candidate

Ok my thoughts..... i cut the boss off the automatic tail cone and now working towards fitting it into the side of the manual tail cone along with the rotor re-fab to the output shaft.
If you have any info let me know before i pull the trigger....lol
Ill be removing the 5 speed soon to get on with part 2 of the build.
The only code present is 0500 vss... after that is finished we will look at other codes if any are present at the time.
Whats your take?
Pics are of the automatic tail cone and rotor to be mounted in the 5 speed.
Attached Thumbnails just got a 95 ls400-20140408_045056.jpg  
Old 05-02-14, 01:33 PM
Blksmyth
Driver School Candidate

Default Arduous research!!!

After a coupe of weeks of research and alot of thought. i think i have the speed sense issue figured out. Data acquisition systems use sensors very similar to factory equipment. i.e. magnetic or hall effects so i dug in on a venture with hopes of finding a 4 magnet device i could mount on a driveshaft or rearend. Hey, wasnt hard to find a 2,4,8,or even a 16 magnet 2 pc. collar that will if ordered in the correct I.D. (inside diameter) as what you got spinning. I ordered mine it should be here today! Im gonna use the rear end and clamp the yoke then mount the factory sensor on a simple bracket to the rearend housing and that should move the factory speedo!!!
Any word otherwise out there?
Has anyone done this before with a Lexus or any other vehicle and what was the result?

Car is running great! i added a timed relay to the shift control wires and now when you turn on the key you have a set time (10 seconds for me) to start he car in that time the display reads "P" park.... after 10 seconds the display automatically moves to "D" I simply used the open and closed sides of the relay to gain my desired function. normally closed was my start position or "P" the relay held this when the key was off and ten seconds after the key was turned on. then went to "D" in normally open position which as you know is now closed with 12volts ignition.
The reason for this is the car has different characteristics in park and in drive. if in park at high speeds the car will shut down or stall it happenened on the freeway a nice jolt and sputter i immediately remembered to flip the toggle switch i first installed that found neutral/park for starting the car. you simply opened the circuit for drive which was permanently connected.
So now toggle is out and the relay is super cool and only cost 10.00 bucks!!! no more forgetting to turn off the switch no holes drilled for a toggle just clean and sporty!!...LOL
Attached Thumbnails just got a 95 ls400-20140502_175450.jpg   just got a 95 ls400-20140502_175503.jpg  

Last edited by Blksmyth; 05-12-14 at 07:40 AM. Reason: pictures!
Old 05-02-14, 02:00 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

curious as to what timed relay you used. got a part number? i have other applications in mind. thanks and looking forward to your completing this!

Quick Reply: just got a 95 ls400