LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Water in spare tire well?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 09:58 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Water in spare tire well?? Help

Whats up i have a 90 ls400. the spare well gets filled up with water. nothing else is wet and it doesnt smell like mold(probably because it rains 2 times a year here in LA) but im gonna install my subs so i dont wanna risk getting them wet. whats the cause of this. its really strange. i checked the 2 tubes on the left of the turnk near the antenna theres 2 tubes there fine i think ones for the sunroof not sure about the other. theres literally no moisture. anywhere but the spare well gets filled.
Old 03-19-14, 10:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please search, it's likely the trunk seal or the bumper nuts/bolts.
Old 03-19-14, 10:24 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
please search, it's likely the trunk seal or the bumper nuts/bolts.
ive been searching havent found a tutorial. what do i do with the seal?
Old 03-19-14, 11:15 PM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty common problem with the LS400. gotta either replace your factory trunk seal or remove,clean and reseal the one you have. water also likes to get into the trunk via the bolts holding the bumper on. silicone the crap out of all of it. thats what i will be doing. the reason my build is named the stank booty LS400 is BECAUSE of this issue. first time i opened the trunk it smelled like a couple of dead people had been chillin in there for quite a long time.
Old 03-19-14, 11:24 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aeok18109
pretty common problem with the LS400. gotta either replace your factory trunk seal or remove,clean and reseal the one you have. water also likes to get into the trunk via the bolts holding the bumper on. silicone the crap out of all of it. thats what i will be doing. the reason my build is named the stank booty LS400 is BECAUSE of this issue. first time i opened the trunk it smelled like a couple of dead people had been chillin in there for quite a long time.
weird that mine has no smell at all. i guess ill do both of what you told me and hopefully it fixes the issue. my trunkk smells fine. like a trunk should smell which is no smell hahahaa. maybe because it barely rains but i wash the car everyweek. even thought theres nothing thats wet in the actual trunk i dont want to risk messing up my amp and subs. I figured its a common problem since there was so many threads on it. but non answered my question like you did thank you. hope this fixes the issue.
Old 03-20-14, 11:30 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

can anyone tell me where the bumper bolts are located??
Old 03-20-14, 11:46 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just noticed mine has over an inch of water in t here now.
Old 03-20-14, 11:56 AM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i can tell you look up UNDER the darn bumper dude lol. figure its attached to the car SOMEHOW so just eyeball it.you will figure out how to remove it eventually. cant really hold your hand on this sorry.
Old 03-20-14, 12:17 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

from what i can tell you look up UNDER the darn bumper dude lol. figure its attached to the car SOMEHOW so just eyeball it.you will figure out how to remove it eventually. cant really hold your hand on this sorry.
LOLOL. well that helped. i was gonna look from the top.
Old 03-20-14, 12:19 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
I just noticed mine has over an inch of water in t here now.
yea mine piles up alootttt of water to.
Old 03-20-14, 12:40 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Just take out the spare tire. In the bottom of the well there are two rubber plugs about golf ball size. Pull the one closest to the gas tank (because it's downhill) and the water will mostly drain out.
Old 03-20-14, 12:52 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Just take out the spare tire. In the bottom of the well there are two rubber plugs about golf ball size. Pull the one closest to the gas tank (because it's downhill) and the water will mostly drain out.
Will do that but that won't stop it from filling again. I noticed the problem before but didn't pay attention to it since nothing else was wet. Now I want to install my sub's on sat so I want to takle it today and tommorow. If i cant I'll install the sub's and then tackle it. And if I can't fix it( I doubt that) I'll just remove the sub's when I wash it and drain the water and put them back in
Old 03-20-14, 12:57 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Then seal the holes like everyone said.
Old 03-20-14, 01:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

move to Indio or Coachella Valley - pretty much never rains there.
Old 03-20-14, 01:38 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
can anyone tell me where the bumper bolts are located??
You have to remove the carpeted liner from the trunk to access most of the bolts and then there are the bolts in the rear wheel well.

Quick Reply: Water in spare tire well?? Help