LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 LS400 tail light failure box with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 10:33 PM
zzzayd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 LS400 tail light failure box with pictures

My problem is that my trunk taillights will turn on, but outer tail lights will not. Then when I press the brakes none of the brakes will respond even third brake light. Took it to a shop and they said it has power going to them but it will take 3-4 hours to fix and I dont wanna pay them $100 per hour to do so. So im wondering for the people who have soldered this before can tell me if I do it will it solve my brake light problem. Or shoudl I just purchase a new box? Also the shop didnt show me the failure box. They just said it will be hard to find which wire is messing with the lamps.
Old 03-18-14, 10:34 PM
zzzayd
Driver School Candidate

The pictures
Attached Thumbnails 1990 LS400 tail light failure box with pictures-20140318_151059.jpg   1990 LS400 tail light failure box with pictures-20140318_151102.jpg  
Old 03-19-14, 11:17 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

typically the issue is the wire harness at the driver's side hinge of the trunk. overtime, constant open-close breaks the wires inside the loom and they start shorting each other out. check that harness first. this is a very common issue with 90-94 cars.
Old 03-19-14, 01:40 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about anyone else but there appears to be 2 obvious dry solder joints on the 3rd and 4th pins of the white wiring connector socket on that PCB.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 LS400 tail light failure box with pictures-lexus-lamp-failure-3.png  

Last edited by steve2006; 03-19-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-19-14, 07:53 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzayd
So im wondering for the people who have soldered this before can tell me if I do it will it solve my brake light problem. Or shoudl I just purchase a new box? Also the shop didnt show me the failure box. They just said it will be hard to find which wire is messing with the lamps.
You don't need a new box. I am sure you can easily fix it all by yourself if you can just solder those cracked points where Steve2006 kindly posted for you. Other than those 2 connector pins, there sometimes happen solder cracks at sensing resistors due to the repetitions of heat cycles. You'd better to re-solder those points too.

Toyota had used two pins for the bigger current lines but that was still not enough for the +20 years of reliability. They could have had prevented the problem using eyelets at those points where bigger currents going through.
Old 03-19-14, 11:11 PM
zzzayd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies I looked up a new one and its like 400...
What about the silver bar that burnt out? Can I replace that and solder in a new one?
Old 03-20-14, 02:54 AM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzayd
Thanks for the replies I looked up a new one and its like 400...
What about the silver bar that burnt out? Can I replace that and solder in a new one?
See below and re-solder points where indicated by red circles and also connect two points wherw indicated a blue arrow using a copper wire AWG 20 or thicker. After doing these, check the lights.
Don't worry about the silver bar too much. But of course, it would be better to replace it.

I have fixed several of them and all I needed were just a soldering iron, a solder and a wire. It was a fairy easy job to do.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 LS400 tail light failure box with pictures-points-to-be-soldered.jpg  
Old 03-22-14, 04:41 PM
zzzayd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
See below and re-solder points where indicated by red circles and also connect two points wherw indicated a blue arrow using a copper wire AWG 20 or thicker. After doing these, check the lights.
Don't worry about the silver bar too much. But of course, it would be better to replace it.

I have fixed several of them and all I needed were just a soldering iron, a solder and a wire. It was a fairy easy job to do.
What would I use for the silver bar to replace? And do I connect it with copper on the green side or other side?
Old 03-23-14, 09:55 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Read his reply. Take some initiative.
"connect two points where indicated a blue arrow using a copper wire AWG 20 or thicker."
If this is beyond your pay grade, have a friend do it for you.
Old 03-05-20, 11:19 AM
Old
Driver School Candidate

Default Tail lamps

Hey this looks Good!
but I have a few more questions.
I have a 1993 LS 400 tail lamps work in trunk deck, Brake, marker, Backup, These are good.
the Tail lamps in the 1/4 panels outside of deck lid don't, exception The turn do!
I don't like assuming but here goes, does this module/ box control all tail lamps, and is located/ mounted under the rear window panel/ metal???
Thank you in advance
This Lazy old guy doesn't like chasing all over hell and breakfast for stupid Boxes!
Did I just say that?
Old 03-05-20, 03:56 PM
Old
Driver School Candidate

Talking outer tail lamps cured

Originally Posted by Old
Hey this looks Good!
but I have a few more questions.
I have a 1993 LS 400 tail lamps work in trunk deck, Brake, marker, Backup, These are good.
the Tail lamps in the 1/4 panels outside of deck lid don't, exception The turn do!
I don't like assuming but here goes, does this module/ box control all tail lamps, and is located/ mounted under the rear window panel/ metal???
Thank you in advance
This Lazy old guy doesn't like chasing all over hell and breakfast for stupid Boxes!
Did I just say that?
Ok I got it it's located on the left inner wheel well
I pulled one off my 1994 LS 400 Parts car.
I Took the 94 'Lamp Failure' Component into my shop Opened it up for a visual inspection and found nothing wrong, Cool.
I installed it, Cool all my Lamps work now, YES!
I decided to bench check the old one and none of the solder joints looked bad removed it from the case and found the long jumper wire next to the white terminal plug Fried and the outer shell next to the mounting tab had a light melted spot next to it.
The previous owners son had installed a BIG amp in it and the power leads were ran near the 'lamp failure' component. He may have shorted it and he may not have but it looks to me if it had had a Heavy amperage run through it. I can't see any other damage in the rear area near the tail lamps physical or electrical. we shall see what happens next. I my install a breaker if this continues. but I would rather find out why. hope fully it was a one time failure. it is getting to be old like me. You never know what will quit working!!!
Old 03-05-20, 04:20 PM
Old
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Old
Ok I got it it's located on the left inner wheel well
I pulled one off my 1994 LS 400 Parts car.
I Took the 94 'Lamp Failure' Component into my shop Opened it up for a visual inspection and found nothing wrong, Cool.
I installed it, Cool all my Lamps work now, YES!
I decided to bench check the old one and none of the solder joints looked bad removed it from the case and found the long jumper wire next to the white terminal plug Fried and the outer shell next to the mounting tab had a light melted spot next to it.
The previous owners son had installed a BIG amp in it and the power leads were ran near the 'lamp failure' component. He may have shorted it and he may not have but it looks to me if it had had a Heavy amperage run through it. I can't see any other damage in the rear area near the tail lamps physical or electrical. we shall see what happens next. I my install a breaker if this continues. but I would rather find out why. hope fully it was a one time failure. it is getting to be old like me. You never know what will quit working!!!
Here is the box/ Component
I think the 'L' is reference to a left hand drive car