LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LSpho's: exhaust mod possibilities -thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 07:13 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default LSpho's: exhaust mod possibilities -thoughts?

@mccrimmon not sure I've been wearing pants or jeans unless for athletic or lazy purposes
Thanks, so far so good and no regrets. I do miss a few things from my old car but I love all cars, they all have something(s) about it I would like but no car is perfect

@Sha I've actually ended up checking those same bolts multiple times after each post someone mentioned them it seems. They seat well and have not been tampered with. It doesn't appear to be any rain for a LONG time so I think I'll be lazy with it for now and do a water test some other time

Also I've already decided to do an exhaust mod, will post a pic

Stock exhaust

Titanium Burnt pre-mufflers, amazing work from the 1UZ

New piece

I have an opportunity to get a e92 oem rear section perhaps even for free. This is most probably the wrong place to ask but here goes.
Ideas as follows
- I want them to be used as a smaller box, where the | | section is the outer rounded sectionx will be cut off
- Cut in half and split it for quad exit
- Cut in half and use one side only for single dual tip < would like to run this route, perhaps cut one baffle tube out and remove half the sound deadening hair inside
Side note: cutting in half could potentially be a problem as the conjoined section actually has 2 baffled tubes going across to the other end.

Old 03-14-14, 08:02 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

did you make it a single?

I'm not sure i would waste my time with the e92 mufflers, too much work required to make them for the LS... free or not, i'd sooner pay the $150 for a maganflow muffler and weld it on to what you already have than try and fuss around hoping to get the bmw stuff to fit.

also, please post video/sound clip of the single... but do not do it like everyone else on the next where they basically stick their phone up the tailpipe and all you hear is crackling and distortion!
Old 03-15-14, 12:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just lol at the m3 idea.... bad on so many levels
Old 03-15-14, 10:45 AM
LSpho
Pit Crew

@Shmee single 3" from where the stock 2nd y split. No worries, all my recordings don't have distortion and very pleasing to hear/watch
I do like magnaflow cans, but there aren't many proper dual tips to run with it. Currently I have an almost hidden turn down, might go to the exhaust shop again to shave more of the visible parts off

@puredrifter What's your explanation of why it is bad on multiple levels? It'll be chopped into a single dual tip box if possible and seems easiest to do. Personally I think it'll look clean (personally is keyword). If I can successfully get that e92 exhaust into a single dual tip box it'll look better than almost all dual tip cans available.

here's one example of e92 ripping stuff and re-piping their own OEM mufflers

more e92/e46 oem box mods in very good picture quality
<-- I cannot link the pictures for some reason, click on the Link and see how the E92 and E46 oem mufflers look inside.

Ran out of ammo, they gotta reload these cannons

<-- omitted the side holes and they went str8 piped
they closed the box back up

What I want is to have where they cut the box open just to have that squared section on either both sides for quads or one side for single dual tip.

Here's one of many examples of e46 owners gutting/modding stock muffler

I've had done similar stuff on some of my previous cars with OEM or different OEM/aftermarket cans and have inspired other people to go do something similar to theirs.

Some videos to possibly be posted by late tonight or the following 2 days

Last edited by LSpho; 03-15-14 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-15-14, 01:31 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

If you are capable of doing this, why not just build your own can(s)?
you could just build an aluminum shell, around some perforated core like a motorcycle muffler?
then you would be able to perfectly use the space in the car while matching all of your fitment criteria; high low, tip location, angle, fitment, size, etc...

you can buy Perf-sheet at ant metal supply shop and use a roll to shape it into a tube, a couple of little welds and you have a clean tubular perforated core. I did this for my Motorcycle when i wanted to get rid of the stock baffle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/6961138427/http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/6961138427/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/zx3tuning/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/6815010734/http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/6815010734/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/zx3tuning/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/6815011582/http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/6815011582/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/zx3tuning/, on Flickr
Old 03-16-14, 11:09 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

@Shmee I can't make my own cans, a shop will be doing the cutting/fab of the e92 muffler if I decide to pick it up.

Is this you Shmee? haha
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIRgR4iANHI2taJdz8hjwLw

Video delivery: Quick recording from the interior

Old 03-17-14, 10:41 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

that is a lot of work for an OEM muffler, but i have to admit i did think about using an E92 or similar exhaust on the LS after seeing the recent exhaust designs out there. however after a quick look under the car and you'll see there really isn't that much room for a big can next to the spare tire well. putting one will ruin ground clearance!
Old 03-17-14, 01:39 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

One theory i have why this is bad is due to the fact that the muffler joins the gasses together in the chamber (though the OP stated he will be splitting it). joining gasses again after being split already is cause for concern and really isn't going to benefit anything. why not simply go with aftermarket mufflers in the first place? if you want to say you are using an M3 exhaust, i suppose it's worth it...

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-17-14 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 07:07 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

No, that is not me... He turned up a few years ago with that name. I've had this handle on car forums since 99...

Anyhoo...
It is a MASSIVE amount of work to modify those mufflers to fit a car like the LS. EVERYTHING would need to be modified, there is not quick couple snips and tack welds and you're done with a project like that.

First off, there is not enough room under the car mount them as a single piece so they would need to be split.
Because they are being split you are basically going to have to remove and modify all of the internals.
If you are going to do what you later depicted in those pics, what is the point?
It's basically just straight piping the exhaust, not to mention adding in a lot of extra bends and twists and turns, all of which HURT performance if they are not properly engineered.
The biggest issue, it will take a LOT of time to do that. So if you are not doing it yourself, you better hope you have a buddy at a shop with skills, who will do it for free.

If tip options are your main concern, I would mount a (pair of) muffler(s) in the forward muffler location (in front of the axel), and then run pipe to a "Y" and your tips. If you are crafty, you can build or buy pretty much any sort of tip you want and just weld it to the outlets of the "Y" or pipe and you are done.
Your imagination is your only limit then...
Old 03-17-14, 07:08 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

That was all said as without actually having seen the exhaust with input from the exhaust shop. The m3 cans will take too much cost and effort lol. I'm possibly going to pick up a dual outlet muffler to put the m3 tips on.
Old 03-19-14, 08:48 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm I wonder if we can just modify the stock rear mufflers to be a bit more straight flow, I did the same thing on my Arctic cat ATV.
You may think, well I"ll just put new magnaflow's on the rear, they are quite expensive though, those BMW modifications looked more complex, but I wonder, hmmmmmmmm!
Old 03-19-14, 09:00 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure you could modify the stock exhaust like they did to the BMWs... The only issue is the age of most of our cars and the condition of the mufflers. It could be an exercise in futility for anyone who doesn't live in the southern states due to rust. Plus I think the metal on the BMW units is thicker and thus easier to weld, you'd have to be adept at welding beer cans to put an LS muffler back together! haha