LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

engine parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 07:16 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine parts

ok, does anybody know if there's a coompany out there that makes hard core engines parts for the 1st generation Ls's. i'm talking about cams, heads, superchargers, turbochargers, etc. i also heard that there's someone out there that has long tube headers for our cars, who are they? also did that company(sorry i forgot the name)finish the ecu/intake ungrade and is it avaliable yet? please i'm trying to get my car ready for this spring when the track opens up. i'm trying to get into the low 13's. i guess if nothing new is avaliable yet i'll just have to use nos. does anybody have any idea how big ah shot i'll need to get this heavy car into the 13's? thanks!!!!!
Old 02-06-03, 09:45 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

What is your budget?
Old 02-07-03, 10:59 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

John Brady is the expert in exhaust performance in this forum and in Lexus V8 in general. He is very knowedgeable in this area. As far as performance parts or hard core parts. I called Swift Racing few days ago asking about the Low compression JE pistons, they said they only sell it as a kit. A kit meaning TT GS400 package. That is about $35,000.

I am trying to save some money and get custom JE pistons via a local performance shop. After that i can just make more order for those of you who wants it. That goes the same with ARP studs, MLS head gasket.

Like JBrady said, How much do you want to spend? I almost got my TT system down, but only work on certain population. ie, you can not lower your car. SLEEPER style almost.

My advice would be this. SAVE YOUR MONEY. These are what i see in the very near future:

1. Root Style Supercharger - Andy and Peter from Down Under. The price is excellent. Around $3,000

2. John Brady Headers is coming very soon. 15-25 rwhp can be achieved. How much? I am sure it will be very affortable, but the quality will be top notch.

3. TT Kit. Who? Maybe Chris Num. Maybe Chris and I can do something together. Not sure.
Old 02-07-03, 11:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

David, Thanks!

As far as being an "expert"... do you know the definition of an expert? Someone that can tell you more than you WANT to know

Exhaust has always been a keen interest of mine and turbocharging/supercharging a major interest. One of many benifits to my header designing/construction will be the ability to actually purpose build turbo exhaust manifolds. I would love to design one part that would allow the use of turbos on all three chassis: LS, GS, SC but the truth is a separate part would be needed for not only each model but in fact each model generation. So, while I MAY decide to try it I cannot guarantee I will build them and if I do at what price.

As David said I hope to have headers built sometime soon (60-120 days) and the header MAY be universal as in one set fits all... If so it would make sense to offer them. Price? VERY hard to know but they will be labor intensive to build and just the parts will be costly. For example, the flanges at the ports will run around $125/pr my COST. The outlet flanges around $70/pr and the o2 sensor bungs $30/pr, stainless tubing around $250... Remember, this is custom built one at a time type stuff. If I get any volume going I could lower these costs. Add in many hours of labor to the above by a skilled craftsman/fabricator/welder and the set could easily cost $800++ around the cost of a torque converter and less than a LSD, slightly more than an intake.

BEFORE I build headers I will be building a high flow Y-pipe. The stock part is very restrictive and I expect to pick up power throughout the range by careful engineering. Again, flanges $60, o2 bungs $30, tubing $200, labor??? I am targeting $500 for the Y. I am hoping for 15-25rwhp from the Y and another 20-30rwhp for the headers...
Old 02-07-03, 10:38 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

thanks alot guys. i want to try and stay under $10,000 grand if i can. i like the sound of that supercharger or those twin turbos.also i'm very very interested in the exhaust parts too. i would guess the turbos or the supercharger would put me well past my goal of a 13 second Ls i don't want to drop $10grand at one time if i can help it, but more so over a period of time on different parts. thanks again for the info and i think i'll wait until those parts are avaliable. also i think all of you sound like experts when it come to modifiying these Ls's!! really thanks alot and PLEASE keep us updated on those performance projects.

Last edited by dunn378; 02-07-03 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-08-03, 12:45 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Dunn, read this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=73189

It is in answer to a 95 LS400 but much is the same. On a 1st gen car my first step would be to test for limited slip. Apparently some (or many???) LS400s came with limited slip. Powerbrake a burnout and see if you have 1 or 2 tire marks. 2 means lsd. If not, you will DEFINITELY need lsd to get quick 1/4 mile times. On a 1st gen car you will need a lsd carrier and a shop that KNOWS Toyota differential work - OR - find a lsd equiped 1st gen housing out of a salvage yard/shop. If you need the carrier and gears changed look for a good Supra shop.

After that the TC recommendation from the above thread applies. Then on to exhaust and intake, supercharger or possibly Lextreme's TT setup if David decides to offer kits.
Old 02-08-03, 08:07 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

ok i'll try that burnout tomorrow, in the event that i do need the lsd. what company sells them? i've seen them for the newer ls's but not the 1st generations. also how do u feel about the valve body upgrade?

Last edited by dunn378; 02-08-03 at 08:16 PM.