LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The future of our cars. The Ls400 in 2020

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 03:30 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Dicer, I got a laugh out of your post, this was taken in 1969, holding my daughter
oh billy...

Old 12-05-15, 11:55 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
B. Kids that want to go drifting and racing in them
It's really cool that you get to drive your LS around at work, among all of the new Lexus cars that your co-workers own! It reminds me of when I worked for MBUSA. One of my co-workers would drive a Mercedes-Benz W123, among many other new MB cars in the lot, and I always heard similar conversations going around. It was really nice to see it was being properly cared for.

Going back to your point, though; I am really disappointed to be a part of the generation that's abusing nice examples of these cars... I've had friends who have tried to convince me to "slam" my car, change out the rims, push it to redline, and make the car go sideways, but it just doesn't feel right

They fail to understand the incredible care and attention to detail that Toyota put in, when developing the LS400. It is for this reason that I would like to leave the car as "untouched" as possible, and enjoy it for what it was engineered to do: Provide a comforting and well-balanced driving experience.

However, I would like to note that this does not mean I don't appreciate custom builds by other LS owners. I applaud builds that are well thought out and executed. What I don't like are builds that involve tearing the car to shreds, and leaving it that way.
Old 12-06-15, 05:08 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

[QUOTE=CELSI0R;9277315
They fail to understand the incredible care and attention to detail that Toyota put in, when developing the LS400. It is for this reason that I would like to leave the car as "untouched" as possible, and enjoy it for what it was engineered to do: Provide a comforting and well-balanced driving experience.
However, I would like to note that this does not mean I don't appreciate custom builds by other LS owners. I applaud builds that are well thought out and executed..[/QUOTE]

These are my thoughts also, plus I never play a radio, I don't like noise just quiet. I think the lowered cars look good around the wheels, but not "road huggers", just not my thing... some of the lights are an improvement on looks but I just don't spend my money that way. (I'm weird) I like traveling.. been to all but 3 states, England, France(Normandy), Switzerland (homeland) & Italy..
well now you know me... once again, here is my Chariot..
Attached Thumbnails The future of our cars. The Ls400 in 2020-003.jpg  
Old 12-06-15, 10:01 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by billydpowe
These are my thoughts also, plus I never play a radio, I don't like noise just quiet. I think the lowered cars look good around the wheels, but not "road huggers", just not my thing... some of the lights are an improvement on looks but I just don't spend my money that way. (I'm weird) I like traveling.. been to all but 3 states, England, France(Normandy), Switzerland (homeland) & Italy..
well now you know me... once again, here is my Chariot..
Wow, that's quite the story! I'm also not fond of the "road huggers", because it tears apart the car's structure (unibody, fenders, oil pan, cross-member, etc).

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts. Beautiful looking car!
Old 12-06-15, 01:51 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And the sad thing is anyone wanting to modify won't buy one that's had it done already they want to trash one that hasn't been. It is just weirdness, because in the end it ends up on craigslist for 500 bucks as a parts car, after they have spent the original purchase price plus all the time and money for the parts. Lowering any car just trashes the underside.
The following 2 users liked this post by dicer:
MrBodega (10-18-20), spuds (01-20-20)
Old 12-06-15, 02:42 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by dicer
And the sad thing is anyone wanting to modify won't buy one that's had it done already they want to trash one that hasn't been. It is just weirdness, because in the end it ends up on craigslist for 500 bucks as a parts car, after they have spent the original purchase price plus all the time and money for the parts. Lowering any car just trashes the underside.
Yep, that's been the trend.

Some also are totaled or end up crushed. Shame..

There will always be good examples somewhere, though.
Old 12-07-15, 08:44 AM
lexfive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 93 LS400 274k passed down from the dad original owner still has original paint in great condition garage kept its entire life. Plan on keeping it as a spare car. Don't see too many clean 1st generation LS anymore most are ran down but still running.I also own a 07 LS460 another great car.
Old 12-07-15, 08:08 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by lexfive
I have 93 LS400 274k passed down from the dad original owner still has original paint in great condition garage kept its entire life. Plan on keeping it as a spare car. Don't see too many clean 1st generation LS anymore most are ran down but still running.I also own a 07 LS460 another great car.
Wow, very nice! Don't forget to give her some exercise every once in a while.

Even the best of cars grow problems from sitting too long.
Old 12-09-15, 06:36 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

indeed. one thing about these old LSes is that you gotta keep them driving and on the road. seems like the only way that you CAN kill them is not driving them. over the years in self service yards id say 85% of the LS400s ive seen junked have very low miles. its the ones with 250k+ on them are the ones you mostly still see on the roads.
Old 12-09-15, 06:43 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
It's really cool that you get to drive your LS around at work, among all of the new Lexus cars that your co-workers own! It reminds me of when I worked for MBUSA. One of my co-workers would drive a Mercedes-Benz W123, among many other new MB cars in the lot, and I always heard similar conversations going around. It was really nice to see it was being properly cared for.

Going back to your point, though; I am really disappointed to be a part of the generation that's abusing nice examples of these cars... I've had friends who have tried to convince me to "slam" my car, change out the rims, push it to redline, and make the car go sideways, but it just doesn't feel right

However, I would like to note that this does not mean I don't appreciate custom builds by other LS owners. I applaud builds that are well thought out and executed. What I don't like are builds that involve tearing the car to shreds, and leaving it that way.

yep gotta say im proud to have the oldest car in the parking lot here at the dealership. get comments constantly about how clean it still is, everyone from sales, to service, to the wash bay notices it and comments here and there about it.

however, in modern 2015 traffic it still looks normal, but at the dealership parked between a 2016 RX350 and a 2015 RC350 F-sport, it looks really really dated. its the older, wiser car. as time goes on im hearing more words like "classic" "old school" and even "vintage" lexus. its a trip.
mine is totally untouched. original everything and I don't plan on slamming, drifting, or hacking it up. ive got a $400 94 ucf10 that's beat to death already and a total mess, that im going to slam and drift. its got 468,500 miles on it and the previous owner abused it so its pretty tired and wore out.
Old 12-09-15, 01:55 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

yep gotta say im proud to have the oldest car in the parking lot here at the dealership. get comments constantly about how clean it still is, everyone from sales, to service, to the wash bay notices it and comments here and there about it.

however, in modern 2015 traffic it still looks normal, but at the dealership parked between a 2016 RX350 and a 2015 RC350 F-sport, it looks really really dated. its the older, wiser car. as time goes on im hearing more words like "classic" "old school" and even "vintage" lexus. its a trip.
mine is totally untouched. original everything and I don't plan on slamming, drifting, or hacking it up. ive got a $400 94 ucf10 that's beat to death already and a total mess, that im going to slam and drift. its got 468,500 miles on it and the previous owner abused it so its pretty tired and wore out.
That's really cool! Related to what I mentioned before, everyone acted the same way at MBUSA toward the guys who owned the W123 and the old SL. On the other hand, I always felt odd with the competitor car in the middle of the German army, and no conversations were to be had there ... But that's off-topic.

Happy to hear you're going to enjoy your 94'. That's the only type of state an LS400 could be in, where I would consider doing something to it. Although, even then I probably wouldn't touch it.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 12-09-15 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-04-16, 05:40 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

damn. our cars just got another year older. this year, the first Ls400s will have rolled off the assembly line 27 years ago! the last ones rolled off the line 16 years ago! these cars are going from old to really old. one year closer to antique tags!

there is one thing however.. are the early ones finally starting to really **** the bed? ive seen whispers about the reliability of the ucf10 and for people saying stay away simply due to age. I say its BS but is there truth to this?

thoughts?
Old 01-04-16, 07:33 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

damn. our cars just got another year older. this year, the first Ls400s will have rolled off the assembly line 27 years ago! the last ones rolled off the line 16 years ago! these cars are going from old to really old. one year closer to antique tags!

there is one thing however.. are the early ones finally starting to really **** the bed? ive seen whispers about the reliability of the ucf10 and for people saying stay away simply due to age. I say its BS but is there truth to this?

thoughts?
I personally have no clue. It would be okay though, if some nice UCF10s were able to get into hands of those, such as my own... Hint, hint...

What I'm sure of is I can now get vintage plates where I live.. I don't think I'll do it just yet, though!
Old 01-04-16, 10:10 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thoughts?
If Craigslist is any indication the number of nice LS400s out there is getting pretty small. Quite a few being parted out....

These cars are well known for being able to get to 250K miles without much of an issue, but it seems lots of folks have bought these and just driven them without any consideration for required maintenance or care.

Cars.com has 149 for sale, but there aren't that many with less than 100K miles and I would stay away from about 15% of the cars listed due to miles or condition. Most of the nicer cars are the 98-00's so there may be some truth to staying away from the older cars.
Old 01-06-16, 06:26 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

yep. people buy them for $1500, drive them into the ground and throw them away at this point. im seeing more and more of them like that at this point. when these cars have things like the starter go, they end up junking them instead of fixing.

Quick Reply: The future of our cars. The Ls400 in 2020