LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The future of our cars. The Ls400 in 2020

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 11:11 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Car design runs in cycles. This current crop of "angled" designed cars will give way to smooth and aerodynamic once again, and our cars will look modern once more.

By then, you'd have to spend $60k+ to replicate them...
Old 12-03-15, 12:28 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by AandSC
Unfortunately I don't think our cars are ever going to be considered classic or collectable. The things that put cars into that category are performance or design elements that make them desirable to a group of people. The LS400 has great appeal to folks like us but it's not a cutting edge design and there are better performing cars out there.

For those couple cars that remain in pristine condition in the 2040 timeframe they might have some desirability. I think the best thing for owners of the LS400 is knowing they have a very well built, luxurious automobile with decent performance that can go for a lot of miles without spending a fortune. Kind of like the surviving Lincolns from the 60s and 70s....
The 1 main thing against it is 4 door cars are never high dollar and popular for collectors.
Old 12-03-15, 08:41 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

I like to think of the LS400 from the same point of view that Regular Car Reviews stated:

"When you're looking at a Lexus LS400, you're looking at a modern interpretation of the Chevy Bel-Air... A car that will go on, and on, and on..."

[ Source:
]

In other words, yes; I do think the LS400 will be a classic, as well as a collectible. This is following the same trend that the older MB S-Classes have had.
Old 12-04-15, 06:00 AM
t4l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the LS400 will be a collectible eventually, It just needs time. I have several cars of various brands and the newest I have is from 1998. There is just a sense if nostalgia and pride when driving a well built car that withstands the test of time that you can't just go to the dealer and buy anymore. It's a nod to a time when cars were simpler and comes with the confidence of knowing that you can own a flagship luxury car that is more reliable than the Euros, is still lavishly equipped, but unlike new luxury cars you can still work on it at home as opposed to having to take it to the dealer for everything.

I plan to keep cars from this vintage as long as I can and probably spend more on this quest than I would spend on something new, but when it comes down to it there are very few new cars that truly excite me like the older ones. Maybe I'm turning into a new version of the same old guy that, in the 90s, would only buy 1970s american cars because that's what he grew up with, knows, and thinks are the best. Who knows. But I can confidently say that there will always be a following for these cars of some sort or another. I'm planning on keeping mine indefinitely.
Old 12-04-15, 06:19 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by t4l
I think the LS400 will be a collectible eventually, It just needs time. I have several cars of various brands and the newest I have is from 1998. There is just a sense if nostalgia and pride when driving a well built car that withstands the test of time that you can't just go to the dealer and buy anymore. It's a nod to a time when cars were simpler and comes with the confidence of knowing that you can own a flagship luxury car that is more reliable than the Euros, is still lavishly equipped, but unlike new luxury cars you can still work on it at home as opposed to having to take it to the dealer for everything.

I plan to keep cars from this vintage as long as I can and probably spend more on this quest than I would spend on something new, but when it comes down to it there are very few new cars that truly excite me like the older ones. Maybe I'm turning into a new version of the same old guy that, in the 90s, would only buy 1970s american cars because that's what he grew up with, knows, and thinks are the best. Who knows. But I can confidently say that there will always be a following for these cars of some sort or another. I'm planning on keeping mine indefinitely.
Hear hear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-15, 07:41 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

well at 81 I am probably the oldest active blogger on here, and we have had 12 LS's, two at a time but are down to one 99 now and it has 197+k and it will last me the rest of my life, baring accident.. for me & my wife, nothing comes close and we have had our choice thru the years... Cad's & Lincoln's, BMW's & such are a waste of time for our "likes".. 98-2000 are the winners for us.. we have owned them for 20+ years and sorry I didn't catch on sooner.... 430 & 460's are "nice" but I miss the feeling of the 400 when I am in one.. keep up the good work guys..
Old 12-04-15, 08:03 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by t4l

I couldn't agree with your thoughts more! I feel exactly the same way about my LS.
Old 12-04-15, 08:08 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

81? wow! didn't know that
Old 12-04-15, 11:39 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stereorob
81? wow! didn't know that
YEP, on my way out
Attached Thumbnails The future of our cars. The Ls400 in 2020-bdp.jpg  
Old 12-04-15, 02:47 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by billydpowe
YEP, on my way out
Aw, don't say that!

That phrase could technically apply to us all.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 12-05-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 02:58 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

honestly I doubt ill make it to 81 lol
Old 12-04-15, 08:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Naa not on way out, you look more like a weight lifter in his 50's. Isn't 81 the new 51?
Old 12-05-15, 10:45 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i feel like 2nd gen LS's will probably never really be 'classics' but i think the original 1st gen, being that it was the very 1st lexus ever will definitely have some place in history.

i'm gonna sound like dicer here (not necessarily a bad thing lol) but for that reason it does make me sad to see people modding the crap out of the very early examples. SOOOO much time, effort, money, brainpower, testing, and a wave of nationalistic pride all went into making that design EXACTLY the way it is. completly slamming it and putting some ricer/tuner wheels on a car meant to be as classy as possible and take on the opposition just seems like going right up to eiji toyoda's grave and putting a 'vtec rulzzzz' sticker on it lol.

i know i've made some "adjustments" to mine but thats toyotas fault for giving the 98 that more aggressive sporty front bumper but still having the ride height of a land rover discovery and the wheels from an 80s lincoln haha
Old 12-05-15, 11:38 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dicer
Naa not on way out, you look more like a weight lifter in his 50's. Isn't 81 the new 51?
Dicer, I got a laugh out of your post, this was taken in 1969, holding my daughter
Attached Thumbnails The future of our cars. The Ls400 in 2020-bill-and-sharon.jpg  
Old 12-05-15, 02:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I suppose that picture will wow us all. So then your a movie star of some sort? And I guessed pretty close didn't I?

Quick Reply: The future of our cars. The Ls400 in 2020