LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to increase power to 95 LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-03, 12:43 PM
cabby850
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to increase power to 95 LS400?

Hi,

I have a 95 LS400 and I just wish it has a little more power and acceleration. I upgraded from a 91 LS400. To my understanding, the 91 LS400 had 250 hp and does 0-60 in 7.9 sec. the 95 LS400 have 260 hp and does 0-60 in 7 sec.

However, my 95 LS400 feels slower than my 91 and thats why I want to find out if there is any cheap mods out there that will improve the acceleration of this car. Such as chip, intake, exhausts, etc. I am willing to spend up to $1000.

Please feel free to suggest any mods that you have done and is satisfied with.

Thanks

Ed
Old 02-05-03, 09:17 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should check in the Engine and Transmission section for the LS400. There are some helpful threads in there or you can do a search.
Old 02-05-03, 09:58 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: How to increase power to 95 LS400?

Originally posted by cabby850
Hi,

I have a 95 LS400 and I just wish it has a little more power and acceleration. I upgraded from a 91 LS400. To my understanding, the 91 LS400 had 250 hp and does 0-60 in 7.9 sec. the 95 LS400 have 260 hp and does 0-60 in 7 sec.

However, my 95 LS400 feels slower than my 91 and thats why I want to find out if there is any cheap mods out there that will improve the acceleration of this car. Such as chip, intake, exhausts, etc. I am willing to spend up to $1000.

Please feel free to suggest any mods that you have done and is satisfied with.

Thanks

Ed
Here are the 97 LS400 specs right off www.lexus.com factory page:

Curb weight 3,726 lb
Horsepower at rpm 260 hp @ 5,300
Torque at rpm 270 lb-ft @ 4,500
0 - 60 mph acceleration 7.2 seconds
1/4-mile acceleration 15.6 seconds2
Top track speed 149 mph
Fuel consumption 19/25 mpg city/highway
Aerodynamic drag coefficient 0.28

I would recommend my air box mod. See it here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=55111

Also, do the muffler delete mod and read about my other exhaust thoughts starting here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=exhaust

And for the MOST noticable increase get a Precision Industries Torque Converter. This costs about $800-900 and install runs from $200-500. Take at least a 1/2 second off your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

From there, consider my full exhaust upgrades starting with new headers and replacing everything. Read about here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=72318

That should keep you busy for a little while
Old 02-06-03, 06:24 AM
tn52
Rookie

Default Check your car out first...

I got a chance to drive a couple 2nd generation LSs (95 and 97), thought they are not that much faster than mine (93), but for acceleration wise, they are sure better! Before you go out and start doing things, make sure that your car's running conditions are up to the specs. Money well spend here first! If your current car feels slow as you said, it could be something is wrong. Also 95 model is a lot smoother and quieter than 91 so you may not feel fast (just think about 0-60 behavior in some cars - very often people associated noise with speed). There are many things to check, here are the most common items (when was the last time you got these done):
1. Spark plugs + wires
2. Transmision fluid service
3. Clean air filter
4. Tire size and wheels (people loves big and heavy wheels, incorrect tire size and wheel factors add undue momentum). Your engine will have to overcome all of these added weights before you can jump out of the hole. Good luck.
Old 02-06-03, 06:30 AM
BrianV
Driver

Default Re: Re: How to increase power to 95 LS400?

Originally posted by jbrady
Here are the 97 LS400 specs right off www.lexus.com factory page:

Curb weight 3,726 lb
Horsepower at rpm 260 hp @ 5,300
Torque at rpm 270 lb-ft @ 4,500
0 - 60 mph acceleration 7.2 seconds
1/4-mile acceleration 15.6 seconds2
Top track speed 149 mph
Fuel consumption 19/25 mpg city/highway
Aerodynamic drag coefficient 0.28

I would recommend my air box mod. See it here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=55111

Also, do the muffler delete mod and read about my other exhaust thoughts starting here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=exhaust

And for the MOST noticable increase get a Precision Industries Torque Converter. This costs about $800-900 and install runs from $200-500. Take at least a 1/2 second off your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

From there, consider my full exhaust upgrades starting with new headers and replacing everything. Read about here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=72318

That should keep you busy for a little while
I gotta hook up with you sometime I come down to Houston for a weekend. I want to hear if your airbox mod is worthwhile. I love how quiet the Lexus is and don't want to do too much to ruin it, but if I could add a little performance for cheap and not sacrifice the ride quality or sound quality then I'd be down. I love how it uses mainly existing parts, therefore it won't rattle or have any problems, etc.

Anyways, so what's the total cost of this thing?
Old 02-06-03, 07:33 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: How to increase power to 95 LS400?

Originally posted by BrianV
I gotta hook up with you sometime I come down to Houston for a weekend. I want to hear if your airbox mod is worthwhile. I love how quiet the Lexus is and don't want to do too much to ruin it, but if I could add a little performance for cheap and not sacrifice the ride quality or sound quality then I'd be down. I love how it uses mainly existing parts, therefore it won't rattle or have any problems, etc.

Anyways, so what's the total cost of this thing?
Brian, I sourced a used air box front from a body shop for the price of a 12 pack

I cut the box with a hand saw (saw-z-all blade). Still running the temporary heat sheild. Cost is basically FREE!!!

You ONLY hear it when you aggressively accelerate. Otherwise... sounds stock I have driven in VERY heavy rain and get NO water to the filter at all. I measured a half mile per hour in the 1/4 mile which equates to +- 5rwhp or 7hp engine.

Let me know when you will be in town and I can get you set up.
Old 02-06-03, 08:39 AM
cabby850
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advices.

I already have a K&N air Filter installed, but I don't really feel anything from it.

I also just ordered new O2 sensors, new fuel filter, new spark plugs, and new wires. I really hope after these replacement I can feel it being a bit quicker.

THe exhaust mod seems complicated to me. Will my car still be able to pass NY state inspection afterwards?

Since I am not really a handy person, I would rather not do self made mods to my car. But it seems that there is not a lot of premade mods out there for the 95 LS400.

If anyone know about any performance ecu upgrade, performance exhaust system, or performance air intake from a somewhat well known company, please let me know.

Please feel free to keep suggestions coming!

Ed
Old 02-06-03, 09:02 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by cabby850
Thanks for all the advices.

I already have a K&N air Filter installed, but I don't really feel anything from it.

I also just ordered new O2 sensors, new fuel filter, new spark plugs, and new wires. I really hope after these replacement I can feel it being a bit quicker.

THe exhaust mod seems complicated to me. Will my car still be able to pass NY state inspection afterwards?

Since I am not really a handy person, I would rather not do self made mods to my car. But it seems that there is not a lot of premade mods out there for the 95 LS400.

If anyone know about any performance ecu upgrade, performance exhaust system, or performance air intake from a somewhat well known company, please let me know.

Please feel free to keep suggestions coming!

Ed
Ed, the exhaust mod I have NOW is only removing the rear mufflers. VERY very easy. 2 bolts and unhook 2 hangers, couldn't be easier. I have done it several times, takes about 15 minutes. A muffler shop can pull them for you and put them in the trunk. This will give you MORE power than performance rear mufflers. The complicated drawings are plans for a full system. This will not replace the catalysts and would pass emmission testing just fine. Not cheap though. The airbox mod is only labor. Anyone wanting this done PM me and we can come up with a very reasonable way to do this for you.
Old 02-06-03, 11:02 AM
BrianV
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How to increase power to 95 LS400?

Originally posted by jbrady
Brian, I sourced a used air box front from a body shop for the price of a 12 pack

I cut the box with a hand saw (saw-z-all blade). Still running the temporary heat sheild. Cost is basically FREE!!!

You ONLY hear it when you aggressively accelerate. Otherwise... sounds stock I have driven in VERY heavy rain and get NO water to the filter at all. I measured a half mile per hour in the 1/4 mile which equates to +- 5rwhp or 7hp engine.

Let me know when you will be in town and I can get you set up.
Sweet deal jbrady, I don't mind going ahead and sawing my current part up and then locating a replacement later. I'll post the next time I'm planning on going to Houston. What area are you in, I usually stay at my g/f's parent's in Sugarland, but I do some private consulting for a company out in Clearlake.
Old 02-06-03, 11:39 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Old Wires

Cabby 850:

Please be aware that Tom Wahjudi is on the lookout for a set of discarded oem wires.

I presume that he wants to match the length / diameter and plug against aftermarket alternatives that may be provide a
price performance benefit to all here at the Forum.

The efforts of you & Tom together would certainly be appreciated!!

Thanks, damon
Old 02-06-03, 11:57 AM
cabby850
Driver School Candidate

Default used oem wires

I guess I can tell my mechanic to save the old wires and I can measure the diameter and length and post them here or if Tom is willing to pay for shipping I can mail it to him. Feel free to email me at cabby850@yahoo.com

I will probably get the parts I ordered in about a week. So my tune up will most likely be done in 2 weeks.

regards,

Ed
Old 02-06-03, 05:38 PM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default Unused Spark Plug Wires

Ed,

I will take the old plug wires if you don't mind. I'll email you my address. Let me know how you want me to pay for shipping. I can send you a check or I can use PayPal. Unless you have some other method.

I already know that the wire diameter does not match the OE set, but I do intend to find a high performance universal set that doesn't cost $280-$470 like Magnecor's. In any rate, I appreciate the help on this matter, who knows this can benefit everyone, right ? Thanks guys.
Old 02-06-03, 11:40 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Shipping

Tom,

I have some funds at paypal. I would appreciate the opportunity to at least split the shipping with you. Thanks for being a provider Ed!

Good luck with your increased performance quest, damon
Old 02-08-03, 04:25 AM
bennie
Driver School Candidate

Try to shut of the egr, the only thing to do is block the small vacuum tube to the egr valve, no more hot exaust gas go into the intake.

Bennie