LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

CD changer removal from upper glove box UCF20 RHD Celsior

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 08:46 AM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CD changer removal from upper glove box UCF20 RHD Celsior

I wanted to remove the useless CD changer from the upper glove box section and found this youtube video....I tried following the instructions even though my car is RHD and everything is on the opposite side. SHould be just the flipped mirror image right?

Now, around 50 seconds mark he pulls forward / loosens the bottom large glove box section out enough to get to the bolts that hold the upper CD changer section.

For some reason I can't get the bottom section to come out loose like that..I removed all the bolts mentioned including the one on the side. Perhaps I just need to pull it really hard and it pops out but I am afraid to try that considering RHD Celsior interior pieces aren't exactly readily available in Canada if I snap something.

If any of you guys have removed the CD changer before can you please provide me with some feedback / suggestions based on your experience?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-14, 04:08 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Look closely there are 2 clips that snap in running along the top of the glove box. You can see them after he removes the CD changer.

Last edited by sha4000; 02-23-14 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 07:08 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

here is how I done it...
Attached Files
File Type: doc
LEXUS CD PLAYER.doc (23.0 KB, 429 views)
Old 02-24-14, 02:51 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

The page below will guide you to remove the CD changer for RHD cars. It is a step by step guide which contains many photos. You can enlarge each photos just clicking. The Japanese explanation at the top is writing about the link how to remove lower part which should be done before you remove the CD changer.
http://celsiorup.com/data/316_20later_cdchanger.htm
Old 02-24-14, 06:41 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
The page below will guide you to remove the CD changer for RHD cars. It is a step by step guide which contains many photos. You can enlarge each photos just clicking. The Japanese explanation at the top is writing about the link how to remove lower part which should be done before you remove the CD changer.
Yamae, that is a good reference.... great photos...
Old 02-24-14, 08:25 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Yamae, that is a good reference.... great photos...
We should thank to a gentleman named jt who is the owner of the site.

Without his photos, I couldn't be able to fix my CD changer simply. The unit used to fail to start up. The problem was caused just by carbon dusts accumulated in the spindle motor and the torque was not enough. All I needed was to blow them off using a compressor. The blowing alone was a simple and easy job. The photo below is at when I was fixing it removing from the dash in accordance with jt's guide. I owe him a lot.
Attached Thumbnails CD changer removal from upper glove box UCF20 RHD Celsior-img_119348_1478773_0.jpg  
Old 02-24-14, 08:49 AM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Domo arigato gozaimasu Yamae san!

Good thing I can still read a bit of Japanese...this is exactly what I needed!
Old 02-24-14, 12:49 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be straighforward enough! why are you removing it? not working or going to make it into a second glove box? Mine works fine, its finding CD's that aren't scratched is the problem!
the next one for me is to figure out how to take off the cruise control speed limiter to 106kph, on my 93 Celsior I clipped a jumper in the cruise control ECU, instructions I found on Toyomods I think, I wonder if its the same on this car?
Old 02-26-14, 05:36 AM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
Should be straighforward enough! why are you removing it? not working or going to make it into a second glove box? Mine works fine, its finding CD's that aren't scratched is the problem!
To be honest I never even tried using the CD changer to date...but I highly doubt I will ever use it anyway so just want to remove it and use the space for other stuff like a DVD / media player/Bluetooth adaptor.

This ties into my eventual plan to add A/V AUX input to my stock NAV with bypass...I know it would be simpler to drop in a double DIN aftermarket stereo but I want to try retaining the stock NAV.
Old 02-26-14, 05:40 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think the stock nav can even be updated anymore.
Old 02-26-14, 11:28 AM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
I don't think the stock nav can even be updated anymore.
That will not be an issue as I have no intention of using the NAV feature...plus it doesn't work in North America outright anyway.

If I need NAV badly here & there I can just stick on my Garmin on the windshield with a suction cup....
Old 02-26-14, 11:31 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tsxnbp
That will not be an issue as I have no intention of using the NAV feature...plus it doesn't work in North America outright anyway.

If I need NAV badly here & there I can just stick on my Garmin on the windshield with a suction cup....
Ok good plan. Just didn't want you to get lost with outdated map info.
Old 02-26-14, 12:02 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to just use satellite radio transmitting on like 88.5 to my old Celsior sat Nav system, I never did get a input going on that one. I find the new Sat nav touch screen in this newer car a lot more annoying then my last one. Lots more japanese menus, do you have the problem with the climate control screen going grey when you change fan speeds so you can't see what your fan speed is? you touch it again and it'll change then go mono-color again? drives me nuts!

I also had problems with it beeping at me and always shifting to the sat nav that showed me driving through Japan somewhere, eventually we found some main menu that disabled it (and the planet soarer translation guide) I think I'd be happy to punt this version for the manual Lexus version. The stock stereo does sound pretty nice though, Aux input would be really nice! We hauled out a ton of old CD's for the 1200km or so we did bringing it home from Port and they do sound really good on the system!
Old 03-09-14, 09:14 PM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
I used to just use satellite radio transmitting on like 88.5 to my old Celsior sat Nav system, I never did get a input going on that one. I find the new Sat nav touch screen in this newer car a lot more annoying then my last one. Lots more japanese menus, do you have the problem with the climate control screen going grey when you change fan speeds so you can't see what your fan speed is? you touch it again and it'll change then go mono-color again? drives me nuts!

I also had problems with it beeping at me and always shifting to the sat nav that showed me driving through Japan somewhere, eventually we found some main menu that disabled it (and the planet soarer translation guide) I think I'd be happy to punt this version for the manual Lexus version. The stock stereo does sound pretty nice though, Aux input would be really nice! We hauled out a ton of old CD's for the 1200km or so we did bringing it home from Port and they do sound really good on the system!
No, I don't have any issues like that with my climate control on the nav screen...at least I don't think so. I also don't have anything beeping at me either....may be because I usually have it set to the Radio screen?
Old 03-09-14, 09:23 PM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Just wanted to say thanks to Yamae san again...was able to get the CD changer removed. Now I have all kinds of room there to custom install whatever I decide on using the space for.