LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 11:10 PM
LSVIP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System

Hey guys, I've been searching for awhile and haven't come up with anything..

Does anyone have a diagram or drawing of the 1st gen LS400 exhaust system? Preferably with lengths? I'm looking to make my own exhaust, but I obviously need dimensions.

My plan is to run the custom headers from the guy who made some on this forum. (I can't remember his name and I apologize..) Run those to some 2.25 piping, to mid Magnaflow performance mufflers with 3 inch piping out.
I'm looking for loud and menacing without sacrificing gains.

Any and all help and opinions are welcomed and appreciated!

I also apologize if this is in the wrong forum, LS's need a performance section.
Old 02-17-14, 11:39 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

it's very difficult with our existing LS400 locked ECU to improve the stock exhaust system, and aftermarket and/or homemade headers tend to not to fit so well, and you need to insure the back pressure it was designed for is kept intact - overall, I would say exhaust modding on an LS400 is not such a good plan - if you want a good performance car, look into a Chevy Camaro or a Ford Mustang or even a Civic or a WRX or a Nissan Skyline GT-R
Old 02-18-14, 04:59 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Here read this...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ed-advice.html
Old 02-18-14, 05:01 AM
LSVIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
it's very difficult with our existing LS400 locked ECU to improve the stock exhaust system, and aftermarket and/or homemade headers tend to not to fit so well, and you need to insure the back pressure it was designed for is kept intact - overall, I would say exhaust modding on an LS400 is not such a good plan - if you want a good performance car, look into a Chevy Camaro or a Ford Mustang or even a Civic or a WRX or a Nissan Skyline GT-R
Come on dude, I understand how you feel about the LS400, I just want some answers.
Old 02-18-14, 05:08 AM
LSVIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
Well, thank ya. I guess I should just put it up and get measurements?
Old 02-18-14, 05:51 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Yeah member JBrady made some headers and did extensive research on the subject even though he was working on a UFC20. He did have some good recommendations as to the pros and cons to doing this mod.
Old 02-18-14, 06:26 AM
LSVIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
Yeah member JBrady made some headers and did extensive research on the subject even though he was working on a UFC20. He did have some good recommendations as to the pros and cons to doing this mod.
Yeah, I was thinking about getting those headers. As soon as I have 600$ to throw away lol.
Old 02-18-14, 07:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrady
the more I understood the stock parts the less inclined I was to change them.
yeah, what JBrady said in his final post in that very technical thread, after all of his exhaustive analysis!
Old 02-18-14, 08:42 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Taken completely out of context with how you are suggesting it...

There is lots of room for improvement on the stock system. Lexus engineered the system to be quiet as their first priority. The mistake most people make is they hack off the exhaust after the cat and then it is one single ID pipe or a poor mixture of two all the way to the tips. There are lots of things you can do to improve flow while you maintain pulse velocity and scavenging. However most people opt for the cheap fix and use crush bent pipe from the local muffler shop! The ECU is smart enough to figure out most any adjustments after modifying the exhaust, it might not be perfectly optimized but you are not going to get that anyways.

OP, what sort of system do you want?
2-y-1-y-2, 2-x-2, 2-H-2 or 2-y-1? Unless you plan to do a single exhaust, or single down the center section, probably want to avoid the 3" pipe.

Last edited by Shmee; 02-18-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-18-14, 09:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys knock off the personal comments. Everyone's opinion is welcome as long as it isn't pressed constantly or rudely...

LScowboyLS, not everyone has to agree with you about your perspective on performance exhausts... fine to state your opinion but no need to keep arguing about it. There are MANY reasons beyond possible performance increases to do an exhaust system that involves enjoying the sound of an aftermarket exhaust on a V8 as well as the looks.

Folks want to build the best one they can, there is tons of info on this topic including caveats on many configurations actually losing power on the LS. It's smart to discuss and research.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-18-14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-18-14, 10:30 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
and/or homemade headers tend to not to fit so well,
Have to disagree with this one.
If you have the tooling and fab skills (and $$$) you can make ANYTHING better than stock. Everyone has to remember, this is a MASS PRODUCTION car. Which means there will ALWAYS be tradeoffs between quality-performance-cost. Its a triangle, with cost being the major driving factor.

Last edited by Greg5OH; 02-18-14 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-18-14, 12:50 PM
LSVIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shmee
Taken completely out of context with how you are suggesting it...

There is lots of room for improvement on the stock system. Lexus engineered the system to be quiet as their first priority. The mistake most people make is they hack off the exhaust after the cat and then it is one single ID pipe or a poor mixture of two all the way to the tips. There are lots of things you can do to improve flow while you maintain pulse velocity and scavenging. However most people opt for the cheap fix and use crush bent pipe from the local muffler shop! The ECU is smart enough to figure out most any adjustments after modifying the exhaust, it might not be perfectly optimized but you are not going to get that anyways.

OP, what sort of system do you want?
2-y-1-y-2, 2-x-2, 2-H-2 or 2-y-1? Unless you plan to do a single exhaust, or single down the center section, probably want to avoid the 3" pipe.
2-Y-1-Y-Mufflers-2

The 3 inch piping would just be from the mufflers out,catback is going to be 2.25.
I read JBrady's thread on the exhaust system after searching for performance headers. I agree with the exhaust velocity issue, which is why I won't test pipe my car. (Unless I manage to slap a turbo on it )
Old 02-18-14, 01:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

a test pipe won't screw up exhaust velocity, hollowed out cats will.

Mind you on an NA car like these the test pipe won't give you much gain either.
Old 02-18-14, 01:01 PM
LSVIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
Have to disagree with this one.
If you have the tooling and fab skills (and $$$) you can make ANYTHING better than stock. Everyone has to remember, this is a MASS PRODUCTION car. Which means there will ALWAYS be tradeoffs between quality-performance-cost. Its a triangle, with cost being the major driving factor.
Upon reading JBrady's thread, you can definitely tell the restriction of the stock headers, as they're pretty much pretty much 90 degree's off of the motor into a single 'tube', killing airflow.
Good for noise suppression and stuffing the motor back with air, but aspiration is the goal. Anything allowing more airflow is better than stock.
Old 02-18-14, 01:02 PM
LSVIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
a test pipe won't screw up exhaust velocity, hollowed out cats will.

Mind you on an NA car like these the test pipe won't give you much gain either.
Correct, but I still wouldn't do it lol.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System