LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coil Conversion Process - Post Swap ABS & TRAC LIGHTS

Old 12-24-13, 08:59 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Coil Conversion Process - Post Swap ABS & TRAC LIGHTS

Hello all.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered up the strutmaster coil conversion for my 1995 LS400. The experience was a huge learning process for me. I typically don't do suspension work, but took my time. Screamed a few curse words throughout the day. Busted fingers. Bruised skin

Anyway, I completed the swap and have been driving around to let things settle. First, this is a must do if you are having air strut problems. Just ditch the air struts and be done with it. I was so tired of randomly dragging the butt end of the car around going to and from work.

Now to my problem....

I may have done a bad, bad thing.

I removed the ride height sensors and wires. Thinking... Hey, I no longer need these.

I now have a blinking TRAC light and an ABS light that stays on.

Running through all the searches I have one of the following.

1 - Bad ABS speed sensor or unplugged sensor on 1, 2, 3, or 4 wheels. I will recheck that aspect.

2 - Did removing the ride height sensors inadvertently trip the TRAC & ABS light? This could be purely coincidence.

Putting the rear wheels on some ice proved that the Traction Control system is not functioning. Go figure :-/

I still have the sensors. I would need to reconnect the harness and reinstall if this truly is the case.

Merry wishes and happy holidays. Thank you in advance.

Zoraone
Old 12-24-13, 10:09 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Did you remove the fuse indicated by the red oval?

A JDM has this fuse panel with a lid under the dash at driver's side which is also under the air vent next to the door mirror. It is a 20A fuse. To see and remove the fuse you need to remove the lid. At the lid side "エアサスペンション" is printed and you can confirm it. "エアサスペンション" means "Air suspension" in English.
Did you remove that fuse?
Old 12-24-13, 11:42 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Did you remove that fuse?

Yes. I pulled that 20A fuse and that turned off the air suspension ecu and thus flashing HEIGHT HI light.

It didn't help the Trac and ABS lights.

I was curious if the ride height sensors were tied into the ABS/Trac computer.

If not, and the sensors aren't my problem , I either have a bad wheel sensor or forgot to plug something back in.

Thanks
Zoraone
Old 12-24-13, 02:48 PM
silos5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problems.
it was one speed sensor gone bad that caused ABS and VSC light go on ! Get codes, find out what sensor is bad and replace it.

If you have factory HID, you need those height sensors. I did not pull out the 20A fuse, because the LIGHT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT (or something like that) light goes on.
Old 12-24-13, 04:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no factory HID in '95 model year

9/10 bad/damaged/unplugged wheel speed sensor.
Old 12-27-13, 12:24 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silos5
I had the same problems.
it was one speed sensor gone bad that caused ABS and VSC light go on ! Get codes, find out what sensor is bad and replace it.

If you have factory HID, you need those height sensors. I did not pull out the 20A fuse, because the LIGHT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT (or something like that) light goes on.
Yep, same here. Pulled the fuse, VSC light goes off but Headlight Height warning light now stays on. Seems like there is no way to swap out air sus and not have some type of warning light gremlins occur.
Old 02-14-14, 05:03 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight Leveling warning light issue solved

Had my car in the shop today and decided to try one more time to get this problem sorted out. It was actually quite simple to fix...they just disconnected the headlight leveling ECU which is under the dash and behind the glove box on the pass side.

According to them this function is obsolete due to the self-leveling feature of the air sus not existing once the air bags are removed.

Guess I'll find out by driving in the dark? Or maybe I won't...perhaps the headlight leveling (when activated) moves so slightly that one may not even notice the difference? Either way the annoying little "bing" and dummy light/warning message are off. Cheers.