LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who has a stock nak deck with an aftermarket sub&amp?

Old 02-06-14, 12:00 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who has a stock nak deck with an aftermarket sub&amp?

Have been searching this for a while but not really getting anything helpful from the last few years and the old posts often reference broken links or discontinued products.

I would like to remove my factory sub on my nak equipped 96 LS but am not sure the best way to pull the signal from the stock system to the aftermarket amp.

I have been told or read everything from 1) use a Lineout converter; 2) solder on RCA plugs to the sub signal (pre-/post- nak amp) and plug into the new amp; 3) use an amp that has speaker level inputs; and 4) get a deck.

At the moment, I do not want to upgrade the deck so option 4 is out

So I'm left with options 1-3. My issue, and it might be I'm just thinking about this wrong, is that using the sub signal on any of these options restricts me to one channels.

Opt3) All of the mono amps I have found with speaker level inputs are 4 channel, is this a problem for use with just the single +/- pair of sub wires?

Opt2) Each RCA plug has a + and - connection so for a standard pair of RCAs, there are 2x + and 2x - leads. Would there be any issue having only a single RCA plug into the amp?

Opt1) Most LOCs I have found are 2ch and I am unsure if there would an issue with only one channel input into one of these devices since most are some sort of digital converter rather than a simple adaptor.

What have you guys done?
What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by Shmee; 02-06-14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-06-14, 03:44 PM
KiNGD206
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hated my stock setup when i got it

what i did was
aftermarket deck (touch screen pioneer indash)
aftermarket sub and mono amp

in process of aftermarket speakers and a aftermarket 4 chan amp

i suggest my route over stock deck > aftermarket sub n amp

less of a headache

question: why dont u want to remove stock deck? dont like the GPS / Bluetooth / Aux/usb ability?
Old 02-06-14, 03:55 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, Because every deck I have seen in an LS looks horribly out of place in the dash, the dash kits look terrible, the GPS systems suck or are expensive and I don't care for the streaming systems.
I will eventually upgrade the deck to a pioneer 80-PRS but not until I am ready to replace the speakers as well. I will also be hiding it in the glovebox where the stock changer is and keeping the OEM deck for aesthetics. I run everything off my iDevice which is already AUX connected to the stock system, has better gps, and a larger/better screen than any deck I have seen, and is also mounted higher on the dash and visible unlike the positioning of the aftermarket decks.

So as I said, no interest in upgrading the deck at this time.... Just interested in solutions to options 1-3.
Old 02-06-14, 04:23 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

I kept my OEM deck, removed the stock sub & left the hole open to let the air in for more volume (you can't tell if the hole is open or not with the cover on). I built a hi to low converter with the resistor's network for the stock sub's signal to drive the JL500 mono Amp & 12" JL sub. You can buy a hi to low converter & use a 2-channel amp if you can't find a mono block. Just bridge the 2-channel to mono but pay attention to the RMS (not peak) power rating & impedance of the aftermarket amp & sub so you won't over-drive the sub. If you pick the right amp/sub combo with the OEM deck & OEM front & rear speakers & leave the hole open, it will sound good w/ plenty of bass. If you want tight bass, go w/ JL or brand name equipment as you can't go wrong w/ them. Good luck.